Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#243966 - 04/09/12 03:06 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Sorry. I was thinking more about taking the bird to work after she had been with the family long enough to learn some trust; a year or more, probably. Didn't make that clear, and I apologize.
"Slow" is the word of the year, perhaps of the decade!

Jody
#243968 - 04/09/12 04:26 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: jm47]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
All I ask is when members post to anyone they make sure they specify and think about what they are posting to NOT give the wrong impression.We don't know one another and a lurker reading this or even this member being so new to mytoos and cockatoos also may have done something drastic...we really have to think and post from all angles here.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#243969 - 04/09/12 07:25 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Update: I have so much to tell you. Well for starters I took your advice. When i get home I would take Nicole in the bed room are where ever my dogs were not shut the door fold cloths or just be in a different room. Well Easter I thought would be a disaster with all the kids coming over. Well my son who lives next door to me about 50 feet away took Nicole out side made a make shift perch put her on it and she was the life of the party. She entertained us just about all day. She is such a ham. Of course she fussed when I put her back in her cage but she stopped after awhile. My family know including my husband that this is a family affair and we all have to work with her. We are trying. My son which Nicole loves said he would take her next door somtimes to give us a break but now my husband says if can stay if she keeps the screaming down lol. I think he is getting attached to my Too. I wish I could post a video or a picture but dont know how. Now for the eating. I just order some organic food pellets which is suposed to be 100% money back if she does not eat them.I'm spending a fortune in food she will not touch. If I could just get the eating down I will feel better. I have tried every kind of fruit and veg she wil not touch it. But now that she is going outside and getting sun shine and freash air which she has never done before maybe her appetite wil pick up. I am documenting every thing with video,What I thought was a curse has become a blessing. My husband and my son sharing a bird they have come to love....

#243970 - 04/09/12 07:43 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I really hope that YOU understand she can still fly even if she is clipped.We have had many members take their clipped birds outside and they have flown away and some never get returned home.This is a huge risk.You need to have her outside in a cage,carrier or harness!

Jan

#243971 - 04/09/12 09:35 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Thanks Janny we plan on building a out door aviary. I'm going to buy her a cage carrier.... Thanks for the info. I would die if that happened..

#243974 - 04/10/12 02:43 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
I'm so glad things took a turn for the better. You should know that screaming is about as normal as it gets for a parrot locked in a room alone. In the wild, a parrot by itself will soon be a dead parrot. Parrots scream to find the flock and return to it when the flock mates scream back. A lone parrot is a dead parrot. She is certainly going to scream when she knows the flock (you & the family) is nearby. She knows she should be with you. It is also a great idea to greet the parrot when you get home as quickly as is reasonable. It is like it would be with a child. They say, "Hi, mommy!" jumping up and down all excited that you are home. If you ignore them they will just keep trying to get your attention (and probably drive you nuts). If you stop and acknowledge them with a little attention, things calm down.

As far as eating is concerned, the bird probably doesn't even know all that expensive stuff is supposed to be eaten. It's sad, but she probably doesn't even recognize it as food. You are going to have to eat (or pretend to eat) the stuff in front of her. The more happy and excited you can act about the stuff, the better. They say children have to be exposed to a new food 10 times before they will eat it. Certainly we can give our birdies the benefit of that research. Keep trying. Don't forget that birds eat together when the whole flock eats. Use that to your advantage in introducing those new foods.

Tell your husband "Thanks!" from me for being willing to work with the birdie!

Last edited by Birdfriend; 04/10/12 02:44 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#243977 - 04/10/12 04:40 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
GOOD to hear!
When I brought home our most recent rescue, he had a filthy dish with filthy seeds in it. I washed out the dish, after throwing away the seeds, and put in pellets, which is what we had. They were Zupreem Natural ones. He acted as if he hadn't seen them before, and I picked up one and ate it (thay aren't all that bad; better than some "people food" stuff I've tasted) and he tried one, and still (6 years later) thinks they are treats! That tactic didn't work quite as well with broccoli; he will eat that when I am eating it, sometimes. Vegetables and fruit are a "one day he likes this, and another day he likes something different" deal. I find that I don't want to eat the same stuff each day; why should he? Probably your too is similarly inclined.
You are getting to know her. Relax and take your time. This is a long, long journey. . .

Jody
#244010 - 04/11/12 10:03 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jenlusbri Offline
jenlusbri  Offline

Sounds like things are really looking up for you! Congradulations and I hope all keeps going well for you! I am by no means an expert. I do have the "luxury" I guess of having a large back room to our home where I keep Sig and Bonnie so the screaming is not an issue. I hear him with his normal morning and night calls but it's not to a level as if it were in the same room. So, he can do his natural yelling and chatting and calling and it's not an issue at all. When I get home I do hear the screaming and I always say, "Yes I hear you Siggy!" and when I "decompress" for a few I go in and have our chit chats and snuggles and such. Although, this is not every single day. I have found that NOT having an exact routine has worked for Siggy well. Each day may be a little different then before, as far as when and how long he is out of the cage, how much one on one time, etc. This just works for us, I'm sure not for all. But on our occasional weekend visits to family, if we can't bring him, having a friend come over to feed/water/check up on him has not bothered him or his "routine"...

#244063 - 04/14/12 03:47 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Now that my son has been bringing Nicole outside. It seems she is losing some feathers. Is that normal? I do see her eating her zupreem natural. I ordered some pellets 100% guarantee or money back if she don't eat them.. We are getting used to her screams in the morning and the evening. This is a family affair. Next week we are going to start building an outside aviary. I love seeing her in a natural habitat or just enjoying the sunshine. She is going in her cage more and when she does I let the dogs go in there and play and ruff house. When I let her out her cage and she comes in the living room the first thing she does is tries to bite my old dog who can't walk. I told her no very firm and put her in her cage and she knew she did something wrong.It has been an adventure that is for sure. I just wish she wouldn't attack my dogs and we could live happily ever after....lol

#244079 - 04/14/12 08:38 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Did you take my advice as far as taking her outside?Are you using a carrier,cage or harness something similar for protection from flying away or being a meal for another animal?

Also punishment does not work with cockatoos Please read in the behavior forum all the sticky topics at the top of the forum.They will be of much help to you!

The feather issue...no one here will know.If you have worries she is sick or something is not right place a call and make an appointment with your Avian Vet please.It could be regular molting it might mean she got too drafty,could mean allot of things what information you give is not enough...

Jan

#244178 - 04/16/12 11:57 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
We are building an outdoor aviary this week. Thanks I think she is molting

#244180 - 04/17/12 02:37 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Has she seen an avian vet yet? Its important for her to get seen by an avian vet and get checked out and its good to get that relationship started. as far as the food goes, you might try using the pellets and veggies in birdie bread you can do a search here and find all kinds of reciepies. my birds want anything im eating so try letting her see you enjoying the veg mixture and be sure to make the yummy noises, like you would with a child. i know jan has said this a couple of times but be careful outside, get her used to a harness, not only can your girl take flight, there are all kinds of owls and hawks you may not see just waiting for a easy meal and what a heart break that would be. glad things are going better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny