Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#243959 - 04/08/12 06:04 PM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
Sounds wonderful! Are you and your babies moving, or is the whole family?

PJ owns 2 adults, 1 Grandma and everybody else is his playtoys.
#243961 - 04/08/12 07:10 PM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
The whole family, sadly. wink

At least there's enough room, this time!

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#243965 - 04/09/12 02:58 AM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Originally Posted By: AJMontyBird
Update: Monty and I are doing much better as of now. I insisted upon taking a fresh psyche exam (it's been awhile), and while I wait for the results I'm undergoing a few general stress/anxiety/anger management courses. Upon further reflection, I really need to work on my impulse control as well. Monty's getting a rather alarming array of new toys each week. I just adore shopping for my babies!

As for His Highness, he's been a total doll. He's been right perky since the sun started shining properly and the lingering snow finally started to melt. I know my depression worsens during winter... I wonder if 'toos can develop SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?

Oh, and while slightly off-topic, I'm moving at the beginning of May! It's a gorgeous house, with a ton more room than my current place and the additional benefits of being IN Kelowna and within walking distance to my favourite pet supply store. It even has a spacious backyard with room for an aviary! Personally, the best part about the place is the little koi pond in the garden. I've always enjoyed watching fish - they're so nice and calming. smile

You are in trouble, with a capital T! You are now in town, c.ose enough to the store to buy a toy daily, and you also have a fishpond! You are going to be spending far more time cleaning the pond and repairing/replacing the pump than Monty will think appropriate! (;P)
How calming is THAT going to be?
jk. Hope you enjoy the new place.

Jody
#243967 - 04/09/12 04:23 AM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Lol jm, joking or not I totally agree with the toy comment! They have such a fantastic array of parrot toys, too! I'll do my best to restrain myself, though I have the sneaking suspicion that I'll soon be the store's top customer. wink

Luckily for me Monty really enjoys watching fish. We used to have an eighty gallon tank of cichlids, and Monty would stare at them, mesmerized, for hours on end (I did, however, have to frequently remind him not to tap on the glass). There's an ornamental tree just off to the side of the pond, so he can always sit there while I muck about with the koi. smile

I'll certainly be doing my best to enjoy the new place! My mother got lazy and hired a moving team (they're even packing for us!), so it should be a relatively stress-free move. Hopefully all of the kids adjust well... my lovies really hate it when their cages are moved into a new room, let alone a new house!

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#243978 - 04/10/12 04:46 AM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Outside on a tree? Doesn't sound very safe. . .unless he's in a harness!
But fish-watching seems to be amusing to some parrots. Our first conure was fond of it. Scared the aquarium fish silly! I wonder if they sometimes catch fish in the wild.
One of the macaws at the local zoo was playing around with a pellet he had dropped in the water (a shallow pond inside the enclosure) one day; kept swishing his beak around in the water, and then, as the swirling water floated the pellet closer to him, trying to grab it. Apparently wasn't hungry enough to be willing to get his feet wet, though. Funny to watch.
I think it's funny, too, that you had to remind him not to tap the glass. I kept having to remind the last person I introduced to the fun of zoo visiting of that ! (adult female, age not to be revealled ;D )

Last edited by jm47; 04/10/12 04:49 AM.

Jody
#243987 - 04/10/12 06:32 AM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Oh no, I wouldn't let Monty on a tree without his harness! He doesn't much care for the thing, but it's much better than him climbing out of the range of my somewhat short stature and/or getting startled into flight. I don't even want to THINK about him startling and falling into the pond!

Your "wasn't willing to get his feet wet" comment brings to mind an incident earlier today. It was nice and toasty out, so I wrestled Monty into his harness and brought him outside. I noticed awhile ago that he enjoys walking on the ground, so I put him on the porch and let him at it. He immediately gravitated to a not-quite-melted pile of snow in the shade and scrambled to the top. The crazy boy dug a little hole, covered his feet with the stuff, and just stood there! I guess that's one way to cool down. wink

#244004 - 04/11/12 02:53 PM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
jenlusbri Offline
jenlusbri  Offline

Ha! I can't imagine Sig doing that! Although he loves it on the floor as well, he's just cautious of unfamiliar things I suppose...on your original note, I have chronic depression and am on medication. I sympathize with your situation. It's hard for people to understand some things completely unless they are going through it too. I think our birds, dogs, cats, turtles, lizards, gerbles...well, you get the picture, I think they understand us too and know sometimes things aren't right but unlike people, they don't hold grudges when we make mistakes...

#244168 - 04/16/12 02:01 PM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
On the subject of toys: if you invest in a drill and hand saw (not the kind that removes fingers unless restrained, but the kind driven by "hand power") androtary cutter, cutting board and some worn silk shirts or windbreakers, you can save bunches of money for other ( probably more urgent) emergencies by making toys. Check out the list of safe plants and trees in the "Cockatoo article library" here on mytoos, and cut or break (or wait for the wind to do it for you :D) some branches from safe trees. Clean 'em up, and cut them into blocks or beads (BEAD: a block of any size with a hole drilled through it) or just set them in a base of some kind for playtrees. The acivity of making the toys is good therapy (why have "the theys" never figured out that we NEED to be making things with our hands, and that not doing so causes all sorts of depression and frustration?) and Monty will probably love supervising the projects!

Jody
#244173 - 04/16/12 06:47 PM Re: A Confession [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Oh, that's a great idea! I'll have to take a walk around the property before we move and snip a few branches/saplings - there're lots of nice, safe trees here! Maybe I'll try to make him a second play tree while I'm at it. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny