Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24329 - 02/13/04 02:15 AM Avian Flu In Pa  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A strain of bird flu which is devastating to commercial chicken flocks but not harmful to humans has spread into Pennsylvania and more cases may be found in Delaware, agriculture officials in both states said on Thursday.

The disease was also confirmed in four small poultry markets in northeastern New Jersey, a state which has had the disease for a dozen years and does not have any large, commercial flocks, according to its state officials.

The H7 avian influenza in the three states is a different strain than the H5N1 virus that has devastated flocks in 10 nations in Asia. Some 19 people have died in that outbreak.

Because avian influenza is spread easily, authorities often quarantine infected farms and destroy their birds. A dozen nations have banned all or some U.S. poultry shipments since the first infected flock was found last week in Delaware.

Farmers fear the disease because it can rapidly spread throughout a flock, cutting egg production and producing misshapen or soft-shelled eggs. Bird flu is spread through the birds' feces or mouth secretions and can infect turkeys, pheasants, quail, ducks, geese, and migratory birds.

The disease is so contagious that Delaware officials have asked farmers to post "keep out" signs on their property, to stop taking tractors and farm equipment to auction and to have essential visitors wear disposable biosecurity clothing.

#24330 - 02/13/04 02:58 AM Re: Avian Flu In Pa  
ConnieS Offline
Lives Here
ConnieS  Offline
Lives Here

Jerry, thanks for posting as I have been monitoring this. I live next door to a small farm with chickens and flocks of Canada geese are often in the back yard. I have threatened the kids with capital punishment if they forget to leave their shoes at the door and the backyard is off limits for now. frown Shoes are being disinfected daily. Fortunately, we don't have many visitors. They already think I'm nuts. Now I'll be cleaning their shoes too. Yet another crazy thing we do for our birds.

#24331 - 02/13/04 04:06 AM Re: Avian Flu In Pa  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
Not crazy to those of us who had to deal with END; we feel ya and keeping fingers crossed they stop it real soon.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny