Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 30 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#241385 - 01/18/12 10:56 AM Galah diet  
Barney Offline
Barney  Offline

I have been feeding my galah a special seed mix designed for them with very little sun flower seeds I feed this with broccoli sweet corn peppers and whole grains (rice etc) I read that galahs should have some seeds in their diet due to coming from dry environments as do cockatiels quite different than say an amazon parrot.
Now Zizou is on the top end of the scale as to what his weight should be the vet said I should give him pellets.
So now I'm thinking of giving him Harrison's organic ones with seeds veg and whole grains as well.
Worried about fatty tumers I know these birds are prone to these, he does have a lot of time out playing with his toys plus an aviary for use in summer so he gets exercise I try and do my best by him.
It would be helpful to hear about any ideas on this thanks.

#241391 - 01/18/12 03:08 PM Re: Galah diet [Re: Barney]  
Kobbi Offline
Kobbi  Offline

Iceland
I give my Galah Harrison's. I've had a difficult time getting green veggies in him, but I keep trying!
I also give him fruits,(small amount of) seeds and "human food" I think variety is key. At least Kobbi is fit as a fox laugh

Sara&Kobbi
#241435 - 01/19/12 04:21 AM Re: Galah diet [Re: Barney]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Try orange veggies: carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato. . .and even if he doesn't like them, keep offering. Let him see you eat them, and then, offer a bite (not with a fork or spoon you've had in your mouth, though) and he may just try it and like it.

I've had some success putting bits of broccoli or carrot (raw)into the holes in certain toys or perches, especially cholla (cactus) wood or luffa toys.

Jody
#241495 - 01/20/12 12:16 AM Re: Galah diet [Re: Barney]  
Volk Offline
Volk  Offline

Wisconsin
I would be MORE CONCERNED about fatty tumors or lipoma developing when feeding a diet comprised of mostly seed. I'm with jm47- push the orange stuff. Sweet potatoes are a favorite for my 'too.

Are you familiar with 'chop'? If not- below is an excellent post by Patricia Sund about what chop is, why it's good and how to make it.

http://parrotnation.com/2009/05/06/gone-chop-crazy/

...and a thread from Mytoos on the subject of "chop"
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229292#Post229292

A wonderful article about the Parrot Food Pyramid
http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/foodpp1002.htm

The best diet is obviously the one they would have naturally in the wild. Most of us cannot provide that diet, but it's a good idea to get as close as possible for the health and well being of your 'too. Chop is a great way to incorporate a lot of different fresh items into the diet, like veggies or fruits your bird would would normally just toss to the bottom of the cage.

If you're very concerned about lipomas I would bring it up to your Avian Vet and get his/her opinion and suggestions.

#241576 - 01/22/12 05:12 PM Re: Galah diet [Re: Volk]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We feed our RB2s a mixture of Zupreem fruit pellets and ABBA seed mixture (no they do not speak Swedish yet). They also love fresh and cooked veggies and other little goodies.

Both birds are in the normal weight range now. Hannah who was overweight is in the higher range of normal, and Harry in the lower range of normal. One thing that really helped Hannah was exercise. We quit clipping their wings and they are exercised twice a day and fly from point A to point B in a game type fashion supervised. Hannah hated it at first and could barely fly, now she cannot wait. Harry is a little air force bird and can do all kinds of things. Hannah now is much more active and Harry is less stressed with this exercise.

See my former post:
Of our two RB2s, Hannah was too heavy so she was restricted to pellets with just fewer ABBA seed mixture 70/30. Harry was too thin, so our Avian vets had him on ABBA seed mixture/pellets 50/50. He has gained weight as he has got older. We also removed stress situations which helped. ABBA seed is the only kind our Avian Vets recommend.
http://www.abbaseed.com/
Click on seed products>
http://www.abbaseed.com/Seed_Products/1300/1300.html
This is much more than seeds, see below:
Ingredients: Safflower Seed, Cracked Corn, Oat Groats, Shelled Peanuts, Buckwheat, Millet Seed, Heat Processed Corn, Grain, Sorghum, Non-Viable Hemp Seed, Pumpkin Seed, Peppers, Ground Mollusk Shell, Kibbled Biscuit Made With Meals; Wheat, Corn, Oat, Rice, Barley, Soy Bean, Buckwheat, Bean; Ground: Peas, Egg Shell, Brazil Nuts, Cashews, Filberts, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, Shelled Pumpkin Seed; Water, Shredded Coconut, Whole Eggs, Bone Meal, Precooked: Fresh Meat, Fresh Poultry Meat, Fresh Fish; Fresh and Dehydrated: Carrots, Dandelion, Chicory, Kale, Grapes, Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Pears, Apricots, Milk; Honey, Corn Syrup Solid, Casein, Salt, Brewers Yeast, Yellow Beta Carotene, Cod Liver Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Dextrose, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Bitartrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyriodoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydrioded, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Carbonate, and Calcium Propionate Added To Preserve Freshness, Artificial and Natural Color and Flavor.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny