Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#241329 - 01/16/12 05:13 PM Shaking  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
Annie B. has not been eating well these last few days. Only blueberries, walnuts, and brazil nuts. Not a good diet, I know. When I finally did get her out of her cage this morning she was shaking. She still is and won't eat anything. On our way for an emergency vet visit. Good thoughts please!

Mom to Annie B.,Molly,the Keet Family, Zeke the Pug, Ivan the Terrible, Edison and Einstein the Cats
#241331 - 01/16/12 05:48 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Good thoughts headed your way - we'll be watching for an update.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#241334 - 01/16/12 07:06 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Good thoughts from here as well, hope all is well.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241335 - 01/16/12 10:10 PM Re: Shaking [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Thoughts and prayers from here as well.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#241336 - 01/16/12 10:49 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
We are back. The vet examined her and did a stool sample. The sample did not reveal anything. She is now taking Baytril and Amphotericin B. The vet said that it was my choice whether or not to do bloodwork. Since it was just done last month, we decided to see how she does on the medicine and do a recheck in a week. She still isn't eating.

Mom to Annie B.,Molly,the Keet Family, Zeke the Pug, Ivan the Terrible, Edison and Einstein the Cats
#241338 - 01/16/12 10:53 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Ellen I hope Annie is feeling better soon. Maybe some warm oatmeal will urge her to eat.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241339 - 01/16/12 11:05 PM Re: Shaking [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Ellen am I remembering right that Annie was started on medications for her mutilation...as in valium? Was this also addressed at the vet consult that there could be issues around that?I am just throwing something out there to think about is all...

I did do a search on your posts and found the one where you decided to try Prozac?Did you go ahead and start her on this?I think you need to discuss this with your AV as there could be a side effect or some adverse reactions possibly.It may be nothing but if this was me I would be phoning back and discussing this immediately.

I just quoted this article that I can not post here...

Quote:
SSRIís are all antidepressant and antianxiety medications. SSRIís all affect the way our pets think, feel, and act. They affect nerves that are involved in the regulation of mood, appetite, sexuality, sleep, aggression, obsessions, and compulsions. They have remarkably few and mild side effects. Some side effects are: dry mouth, sleepiness, dizziness, fatigue, tremors, and constipation. They occur fairly commonly.
Antidepressant and Antianxiety Medications of the SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibition Class* ** ***
*Only Clomipramine (Clomacalm) is approved for use in dogs. None are approved for other pets although all have been used.
**Cats are very unique in their metabolism of drugs. I have only used the tricyclic antidepressant, Elavil and the serotonin receptor blocker, cyproheptadine (Periactin) successfully in cats.
***Most of these medicines offer pediatric doses, which can be used to calculate pet doses. Another technique for calculating dose is allometric scaling. As with children one should always start at a dose, which is likely, Too Low (20%) and very slowly increase the dose until it is effective or one is satisfied that it will not work. It can take several months to make a decision.
Brand Name Generic Name Brand Name Generic Name
Anafranil clomipramine Celexa citalopram
BuSpar buspirone Sinequan doxepin
Effexor venlafaxine Tofranil imipramine
Luvox (SSRI) fluvoxamine Wellbutrin bupropion
Paxil (SSRI) paroxetine Zoloft sertraline
Prozac (SSRI) fluoxetine Rimeron mirtazapine
Serzone (SSRI) nefazodone Lexapro escitalopram

Last edited by Janny; 01/17/12 12:10 AM.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#241347 - 01/17/12 01:35 AM Re: Shaking [Re: Janny]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Ellen, my thoughts are with you and AnnieB! I'm so glad you got her in to the vet today, and I am hopeful that the new meds will help!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#241357 - 01/17/12 05:46 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

Jan - The vet is the person who prescribed the fluoxetine. Annie has been on it for over a month. It has made her less anxious and she is not barbering her feathers as much.

Annie's vet started her on Amphotericin B because she shares her bedroom with budgies. Budgies are known to harbor megabacteria for years. A majority of them are carriers which exhibit no outward signs. Of course I did not know this until the vet told me. smile So even though I have had them for 14 years the vet felt this was an appropriate action. She did a physical exam on Annie and did not see anything wrong. We are going back in a week, sooner if she doesn't improve, and play it from there.

I am worried; this morning she still had no appetite. I am anxious to see her when I get home from work.

#241371 - 01/18/12 05:16 AM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
So understand...please keep us up-to-date. A too with no appetite is truly rare. Have you tried warm mashed potatoes or warm oatmeal (what I think of as comfort food?)

Best of luck!!! (((Hugs))) from our flock to yours.

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#241375 - 01/18/12 06:25 AM Re: Shaking [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi Ellen. How is Annie B? I'm hoping she was much better when you got home from work today.

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#241466 - 01/19/12 06:17 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
lisarn3 Offline
lisarn3  Offline

OK
Ohhh, I hope she is heading back to her normal self today.

Mom to 4 great kids, an awesome son in law, and the animal herd and flock
#241488 - 01/19/12 10:56 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
Annie is still being finicky about eating. She refuses to come out of her sleeping cage and has been in it or on top of it for three days.

I don't know how much the medication is affecting her because most of it goes into her right eyeball! I really am trying!!! smile

I am wondering if it is this new vest. Her odd behavior actually started when I put it on her come to think of it. She has done a number on it whereas she pretty much left the last one alone.

If she doesn't snap out of this funk by tomorrow, I guess I will try removing it.

#241502 - 01/20/12 02:23 AM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Ellen W.

I don't know how much the medication is affecting her because most of it goes into her right eyeball! I really am trying!!! smile

I realize that you are probably joking, but I had to respond because the rescue where I volunteer recently had a budgie surrendered to us who was blinded due to her medication going in her eyes. At least that's the story we were told. I don't remember any more details, but wanted to pass along this word of caution.

If she's really not ingesting much, you might want to see if you can figure out a different method of getting her to take it -- hiding it in oatmeal or juice, for example?

Good luck! I know how tough medicating these guys can be!

#241528 - 01/21/12 02:55 AM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Ellen, Noelle's 2nd vest had a white patch on the front, which did not please her in the least and her behavior changed and she chewed and chewed at it. Since this, I have always requested a grey patch, and it hasn't happened since. My thought is that perhaps because the grey has a likeness to their skin color, they find it less intrusive.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#241767 - 01/26/12 11:20 PM Re: Shaking [Re: Ellen W.]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
And if the white reminds them of feathers, they may bite it. . .

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny