Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 92 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#240530 - 12/20/11 07:56 PM All about Feathers  
Volk Offline
Volk  Offline

Wisconsin
I'm sure we all have a grasp on the fact that feathers are complex. I stumbled upon this article while researching molting and feather destruction. It goes over a lot of neat things that happen inside the bodies and minds of our feathered friends. Specifically pertaining to feathers, molts, and the "internal clock" so many of our birds demonstrate possessing.

I know a lot of us struggle with birds that pluck, chew and destroy their feathers. It can be a hard habit to break. In order to extinguish this behavior (or at least attempt to make an improvement) I believe understanding the mechanics, biology and anatomy of the birds plays a vital role in our attempts and may improve strategies to detour them from self destructive behaviors.

This is written by Ron Hines DVM PhD and I wanted to share this with anyone who may be interested in some of the more detailed complexities of our birds and what makes them so unique.. their feathers.

http://www.2ndchance.info/molt.htm

If this is in the wrong place I apologize, moderators please feel free make any changes necessary.

-Dani

#240542 - 12/21/11 12:51 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
A lot of info to 'digest' here. Thank you!

#240559 - 12/21/11 04:34 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Liisa B]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Great article! Thank you for posting this!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#240560 - 12/21/11 05:04 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Bookmarked this one - thanks!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#240791 - 12/31/11 02:15 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
tonitoo Offline
tonitoo  Offline

Ok, it seems like I will never get caught up on everything I have missed over the last few years living parrotless.
Hoping this will give me more insight into Birdy's issues.

And Volk, I have been meaning to ask you where you got your bird vest ? Is that one of the Avian Fashion vests ?
They don't look like they will hold up to a bird that really wants it off ? Birdy here has demolished a home made vest quickly and now does not seem keen on trying it again, but I am getting desperate.

#240796 - 12/31/11 05:07 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: tonitoo]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: tonitoo

And Volk, I have been meaning to ask you where you got your bird vest ? Is that one of the Avian Fashion vests ?
They don't look like they will hold up to a bird that really wants it off ? Birdy here has demolished a home made vest quickly and now does not seem keen on trying it again, but I am getting desperate.

Tonitoo, in a previous post you said that you had ordered a Feather Protector - which one did you order and have you not received it yet? Looks like Volks bird is wearing a hoodie from AF which aren't much protection. The FP's are reinforced across the chest with Kevlar and are overall much more sturdy and durable than the hoodies.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#240797 - 12/31/11 05:33 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
tonitoo Offline
tonitoo  Offline

Wasn't me that ordered, I read that thread tho, can not recall the topic or poster that ordered recently. I opened the link to AF, guess I am still window shopping. Now that I know what they are made of I will have to give it a try. Thanks EM!

#240801 - 12/31/11 07:08 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
My apologies, I thought it was you that had posted about ordering one....we've had a few people asking about collars/vests recently - 'Tis the season...

#242547 - 02/23/12 05:37 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
Volk, thank you for posting this! PJ chews his feathers. We have been pulling oure hair out trying to figure out why, vet trips, diet, play time, cuddles, out time. We couldnt figure out why he would get these little sores on his thighs and legs, then they seemed to itch abominably. Vet checked for bugs and nutritional health. He seems to get worse in the fall, and spring. Hormones. (duh) Pluck no more seems to have taken the edge off, but even one little feather on the bottom of his cage upsets us! Hes getting his full on bath today. Hates the bath but loves the blow dryer and all of the attention he gets. I will read this immediately!

PJ owns 2 adults, 1 Grandma and everybody else is his playtoys.
#242553 - 02/23/12 08:32 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
Some feather-damaging or mutilating birds benefit from a drug called Gabapentin. The theory is that these birds may suffer from hypersensitive skin or nerve-related pain. We are using it on Annie B. and it does seem to be helping.

I was reminded by another member recently that blow dryers may have teflon in them so you may not wish to use it around your birds.

Best of luck... it can be frustrating... believe me, I know! smile

Mom to Annie B.,Molly,the Keet Family, Zeke the Pug, Ivan the Terrible, Edison and Einstein the Cats
#242564 - 02/23/12 11:54 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
My baby Sunshine Offline
My baby Sunshine  Offline

CALIFORNIA
Great Info- Saved it in my folder. Thanks

Betty & My baby Sunshine & Angel
#242653 - 02/26/12 05:13 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
Ellen, Thank you for the information! I had no idea about the teflon in dryers! I will have to research my dryer and maybe get a different one. We dry him on low heat with the dryer about a foot and a half away. He gets sprayed daily with no dryer but a full bath with his special shampoo every few months. Otherwise he drip dries.
We dont use Teflon in our home. (except maybe the dryer) My father worked for Kaiser Aerospace where teflon was created, he wouldnt allow it in our home when I was growing up. Said it was poison.
I honestly dont believe in drugging my bird, and the side effects of Neurontin (gabapentin) make it not reasonable to try in our situation. Our Vet believes he is one of the most well feathered and beautiful birds in his care. Neurontin caused one of my family members to try to kill herself while she was on it long term. That drug has a knee jerk negative response in me. While I am positive that it works well for some.
Im just going to continue learning, and enriching his environment and life. Hes no longer harming his skin and has fully healed and the chewing virtually nil. My own education is the key to his happiness. Thank You again VOLK!
One of these days I will actually learn my new computer and post a pic of him!

Last edited by PJsMom; 02/26/12 05:51 AM.

#242704 - 02/27/12 07:10 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: PJsMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Great article, I am going to share a link to it in my blog.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#242713 - 02/27/12 11:26 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
Volk Offline
Volk  Offline

Wisconsin
Here's a list of items I've found to contain PTFE in one brand or another. The only way to be positive there are no non-stick coatings on your household items is to call the manufacturer.

The List:
Popcorn popper air & oil types
Heat lamps
Portable heaters / Space heaters
Sole plates on irons
Ironing board covers
Burners on stove tops
Drip pans for burners
Broiler pans
Griddles
Many cooking utensils
Woks
Waffle makers
Electric skillets
Deep fryers, crock pots,
Coffee makers
Bread makers
Non-stick rolling pins
Lollipop molds
Corkscrews
Never-Stick-Stainless Steel
Stockpots
Roasters
Non-stick gingerbread molds
Pizza pans
Tortilla presses
Hair Straighteners
Hair Dryers
Microwave popcorn bags

There are MANY more that I'm sure I just haven't come across yet. Just remember, when in doubt.. assume it's dangerous. It's one case where assuming will NEVER make an ass out of you or me. The only way to be certain it's safe is by calling the manufacturer.

-Dani&Fi

Last edited by Volk; 02/27/12 11:27 PM.
#242724 - 02/28/12 04:03 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
Gadzooks! Ugh. Its amazing the poison that is allowed to infiltrate our daily lives. I was wondering about self cleaning ovens. We bought one about 6 months ago, and Im wondering if I need have my husband take Peedge to the cabin when I clean it. I tend be an old fashioned cook, cast iron skillets. Stainless and copper cookware, glass and acrylic. Dont have non-stick cook or bake ware in my home.
What a list! Im going to have to go through my stuff and make sure though. I put a shout out to my hair dryer company, and Conair has some dryers that dont have PTFE so I will get one of those for occasional Peedge drying. Microwave pop corn bags?? you mean the paper kind you stick in the Micro for 3-5 minutes? NO WONDER WE ARE ALL SICK!!

#242733 - 02/28/12 05:31 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
apparently some dental flosses as well as my hair dryer, according to ewg.org. Im going to have to do some housecleaning!!

Last edited by PJsMom; 02/28/12 05:32 AM.

#242744 - 02/28/12 03:49 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
dental flosses?? good grief whatever for??

#242749 - 02/28/12 07:22 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
I would guess that its for people that have no space between their teeth. Like me. (sigh)

#242930 - 03/05/12 07:08 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
Volk Offline
Volk  Offline

Wisconsin
It's when teflon and non stick coatings are heated up that they are dangerous (or obviously if consumed) so I don't think you have to worry about the dental floss unless you're trying to start a fire between your teeth or using it as a toy that your bird has access to.. never thought of using dental floss for bird toy purposes because of the usual wax coating though.

Anyway, yes the list is extensive and also incomplete. I add new things on a regular basis. The microwave popcorn bags that are made of paper and folded twice that expand in the microwave. Yes, laminated into the paper lining of the bag is a metalized film called a susceptor, the source of PFOA in microwave popcorn bags.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_popcorn

I may seem excessively paranoid to most people but I have my reasons.

-Dani&Fi

#242931 - 03/05/12 07:22 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Volk]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
I got a response from my hair dryer company and Im told there is no PTFE in my model. (Phew) PH Loves to grab plackers dental flossers out of the bag and destroy them. Im just glad there is no PTFE in Corderoy!! :P I dont think you are paraniod in the slightest. People have been drinking out of plastic cups for years and now the have found it in our blood. A lot of things that have been "safe" in the past has now been found to be poisonous. Ever heard of "The Beautiful Truth"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny