Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
#240604 - 12/22/11 11:12 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Got up this morning to find that Echo had eaten her egg (the hardboiled chicken one). She definitely doesn't have her mothering skills perfected yet - lol!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#240605 - 12/22/11 11:25 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Well that's a first! LOL

#240608 - 12/23/11 12:34 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well...not sure what to say...parenting class...lol

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#240610 - 12/23/11 02:57 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
Crzy4Brdz Offline
Crzy4Brdz  Offline

Northeast Wisconsin
The degenerative disease and malnutrition that occurs in overly hormonal, egg-laying females...does anyone remember an info anywhere that states definitely that this happens to over-active MALE birds as well?? I have been searching for articles or links that discuss the dangers to males other than just the possibility of cloacal prolapse...

Francis, If you've never seen hormonal behavior in male birds, I am very able to post some video links. ***snort*** The male U2 has just been started on Lupron as his cloaca does strain in and out but has not yet prolapsed. I have read and reread and re-re-read all the discouraging breeding behavior articles but haven't hit the magic solution yet. They have full spectrum light and 12+ hours of dark and silence. I've changed cages and rotated toys and am extrememly careful of "on me" or contact time. I've switched them to a >90% high quality pellet diet with Harrison's power treats, supplemented with fresh greens and orange-yellow veggies. I've gotten them into a Special Species Program where they are followed by a well-qualified Avian vet... The behaviors seem to have started prior to their arriving at my house and it's been a full-time challenge trying to break the cycle. I'm still trying but it's a very frustrating, often disheartening and highly expensive endeavor so far... :{ Still trying and only on the first round of Lupron. I am truly praying we find a way to modify the behavior before the U2 hurts himself.

Oops, forgot to send my sympathies to you, EchosMom. smirk Praying that the girls settle soon and stay healthy and happy for a good, long time.

Last edited by Janny; 12/23/11 03:34 PM. Reason: combined double post.Please in the future if you miss or leave something out edit your post instead of making a new one.Thanks
#241135 - 01/11/12 03:12 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Well it appears we are on egg watch here. I'm expecting an egg any day. Cassie has been very hormonal the past three days and is now showing the same physical signs as two years ago. Vent is swollen and she is very puffy above the vent. I thought we were past the hormones with her this season and were surprised to see her behavior escalate. I'm attempting to take pictures of her physical state to keep a record of it for future use. Fortunately there has been no escalation in aggression, only in her wanting to cuddle. Cuddles have been stopped completely with redirection. Keeping my fingers crossed that we do not see an egg. I know I'm dreaming the impossible dream at this point.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241136 - 01/11/12 04:06 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Oh no, Nancy! Did you do Lupron therapy this December? I just got Isabella her second shot of the series and I was a few days over the three weeks mark in getting it. Hope I won't be joining you in egg watch, sigh... Keeping the good thought for you and Cassis!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#241139 - 01/11/12 12:14 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
No we didn't do the lupron in Dec. We did it in the fall when she went into an early hormone season. I was shocked when she started the hormone behaviors of panting and shaking all of a sudden this week.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241174 - 01/13/12 02:26 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
DucorpsGem16 Offline
DucorpsGem16  Offline

Florida, U.S.
Wow. That would explain Gem's aggressiveness lately.

Gem - Ducorps Cockatoo
Tweety - Budgie

#241176 - 01/13/12 02:46 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
How are things Nancy?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#241207 - 01/13/12 10:29 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
So far no egg but she's continueing to be hormonal, vent is very swollen and definate pouch to her stomache. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't lay in the next 24-48 hours. Knowing Cassie it will be Sunday on the vets day off! I'm thinking that with all the changes we did earlier we halted the hormonal season for her and now it's restarted itself with a vengenance. It's odd she hadn't shown any signs of being hormonal until a week or so ago. We've been watching her become more independent not needing to be glued to us. She will spend time on top of her cage watching the tv or listening and dancing to music, playing alone in and out of the cage with the door open returning to the cage at will to eat or grab a snack and bring it with her to the living room or kitchen. She's still doing all of these but will also attempt to get too close to our hands with her rump. She's easy to redirect to other activities and doesn't dwell on the hands. I've been watching her like a hawk. Her eating is excellent, stools still fairly normal(a tad looser), playing and flying about unchanged and has not been favoring one leg as she did two years ago when she laid. Hopefully I'm seeing things and we won't get an egg. I'll keep you updated.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241217 - 01/14/12 06:40 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Keeping you guys in my thoughts Nancy. Hope if she lays it will uneventful.
Sydnee is still mostly hormone free. Chewing up a ton of wood into toothpicks though.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#241284 - 01/15/12 11:31 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Still no egg. She's eating only pellets. She even ate during the night a couple of times. Crunching pellets at 2 in the morning is incredibly loud!! Today she is still eating, pooping and acting normally. I did notice one interesting thing though, at times when she goes to poop she is lifting her left leg and extending it backwards. Her vent is so swollen that when she is pooping you can see a bit of very red tissue. It's not extending out of the vent but you can see inside her vent when she poops. She is shredding everything in sight and actively searching out our hands. It's been a great deal of redirection today. My bedroom floor looks like I haven't vacuumed in weeks and it was vacuumed this morning!
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241287 - 01/16/12 12:19 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
We're keeping our fingers crossed for you both.

John

#241301 - 01/16/12 01:50 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
I am so sorry. It is like a child... you hate to see them suffer and there isn't much you can do. Thinking of you.

Mom to Annie B.,Molly,the Keet Family, Zeke the Pug, Ivan the Terrible, Edison and Einstein the Cats
#241302 - 01/16/12 01:56 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Nancy, keep a close eye on her and if she hasn't had the egg by morning get in contact with her vet. The extending the leg part concerns me most.

#241304 - 01/16/12 02:17 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Thoughts and positive vibes she lays that baby tonight without a hitch!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#241305 - 01/16/12 02:17 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Planning on calling the vet first thing in the morning. The leg has me concerned too. She started doing it this afternoon. I've seen her do it twice now. Ron is able to take her in tomorrow. I'm sure the vet will want to see her first thing. I've never looked at a tush so much as I have today! She's been spending a lot of time shredding her cereal boxes near the top of her cage. I've been sitting on the floor watching and timing poops. She's using her legs ok and hasn't been holding one up at all. Right now she's playing with Ron and moving very fast.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241307 - 01/16/12 03:39 AM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Positive thoughts and prayers for all of you!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#241325 - 01/16/12 04:10 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
She's going in at 11:15. No egg overnight. Still eating well and pooping, very active but is now standing like a penquin, legs very spread.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#241332 - 01/16/12 05:49 PM Re: 'Tis the Season... Here We Go Again! [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
We'll be watching for another update. Good luck and I'm glad that all is good this AM.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny