Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236695 - 08/14/11 03:23 AM Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird  
CrimsonBeak Offline
CrimsonBeak  Offline

Quebec, Canada
To get the background on this:

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236632#Post236632

Jacko is a DNA-sexed female TAG of about 10 years of age. She is fully flighted and has lived with me for 5 or so years.

I try very hard to use ABA principles and only positive reinforcement and as such have been blessed with a bird who rarely bites and loves scritches, usually she only bites when off in hormonal destruction mode and I dare to try and remove her from her latest nesting project or etc.

However, she is *extremely* jealous and aggressive towards my male cockatiel (she also is this way with most animals and small children). When he is removed from his cage she will vocalize, and charge inside her cage or angrily bash toys etc. If it is very bad she will bite cage bars and start spreading her wings so that if it wasn't for the cage she would fly over and attack him. When she is out of the cage she sometimes will fly over to his cage to terrorize him, particularly if I am doing some training with her or giving her attention and turn my back on her for a minute.

The end result I would like to achieve is for them both to be out at the same time on separate areas under close supervision.
I'm unsure though if this behaviour can be worked on as its instinctual for a bird to choose a mate and defend territory.

#236700 - 08/14/11 03:17 PM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: CrimsonBeak]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The principle of ABA is to reinforce those behaviors that you want to see more of, which in turn decreases less desirable behaviors. And it is a long process.

From reading your other post this sounds like a very dangerous situation and your cockatiel has already received permanent injury. You have to keep these birds separated and we in good conscience cannot advise you otherwise. The idea of hanging a curtain mentioned in the other thread sounds is a good suggestion. Obviously it isn't as safe as closing a door, but nonetheless is a deterrent.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#236703 - 08/14/11 04:23 PM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: EchosMom]  
CrimsonBeak Offline
CrimsonBeak  Offline

Quebec, Canada
All right, that's what I was afraid of.
Thanks

#236705 - 08/14/11 04:53 PM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: CrimsonBeak]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
If you can chose a behavior that you would like to see Jacko do, or see more often, we can assist you with that. Anything that starts with a "not" is a non-behavior. (Not attack, not fly to the 'tiels cage are non-behaviors.)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#236714 - 08/15/11 02:05 AM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: EchosMom]  
CrimsonBeak Offline
CrimsonBeak  Offline

Quebec, Canada
I would like to see Jacko remain calm and away from the tiel and his cage instead of flying over attacking or displaying angrily.

#236723 - 08/15/11 05:26 AM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: CrimsonBeak]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
So the target behavior you want to concentrate on is Jacko staying on his cage?

#236732 - 08/15/11 07:42 PM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: EchosMom]  
CrimsonBeak Offline
CrimsonBeak  Offline

Quebec, Canada
I want Jacko to remain calm in her cage/outside of it when Sully is given attention or taken out.

#240162 - 12/09/11 09:45 PM Re: Flighted TAG--aggression towards other bird [Re: CrimsonBeak]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Edited...

ABA Case Studies are for the moderators of this section only to post.Please refrain from posting in here.

Last edited by Janny; 12/10/11 12:35 AM.

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny