Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#235999 - 08/01/11 12:15 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Charlie]  
KelvinCluv Offline
KelvinCluv  Offline

Maine
Wow... Tried chopping kale, cabbage, green pepper and carrot today for the first time... Did not touch it. I will not give up and try again tomorrow - Kelvin is extreme case - he doesn't seem to like anything fresh, in any form served - he just sits there hungry, waiting for me to break down and give him his dry mix, or peanut butter on a piece of bread. Sometimes, he will go for some cooked food of my plate: rice, pasta, chicken, he loves oatmeal.
I know how important it is for him to eat fresh, that is why it is so upsetting day after day to throw away his bananas, apples, grapes, green beans, peas and everything else he does not eat frown
Also, his beak, skin, and feet look dry and flaky - is this because he lacks nutrition? We were together for 4 month and he is going through molting right now and has a lot of blood feathers growing. I give him egg ones a week, as I was told. Don't really know if he eats it. I need to figure out, and fast, how to put him on the healthy track. When I give him little pieces of food of my finger, he will roll it in his mouth but then spits it out and shakes his head - ugg that was gross!
I would feed him with an eye dropper if I absolutely have to...

#236128 - 08/04/11 08:39 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: KelvinCluv]  
BassPlyr Randy Offline
BassPlyr Randy  Offline

Hot Springs, AR
Guess I was a little confussed. Initially I thought the chop recipe was the same thing as the Mixed Veggie Recipe on this site. I went out and bought the fixin's to make the Veggie Mix just as it is described; mixed veg, extra corn & peas, sweet potato, brown rice, pinto & navy beans. I was also planning on running some of the Zupreem Natural and Fruit Blend pellets I brought through the food processor and adding it to the mix. In fact, I am making it right now. I done a quick soak on the beans and am ready to cook them, got the rice cooked and ready to go. While the beeans are cooking I was planning on cooking up the veg. I was planning on combining all this together. Now I am ready that I shouldn't add the beans to the veg mix until I serve it, is that right? And I should add some greens to the mix?

I also bought the stuff to make the birdie bread or tried to. It mentions unrefined wheat flour. I couldn't find anything that said that. I bought "All Natural Traditional Whole Wheat Flour". It says stone ground from hard red wheat, never bleached, never bromated, on the package. Will this work? I was wondering how to do this as well. Do I basically act as if I was making corn bread, but just adding the rest of the stuff to the mix?

So far, previous of tonight that is, he has not eaten anything I have offered him except for his seed mix. One think I know, he loves his sunflower seeds .. hahaha Anyway, after shopping today, this evening I offered him some banana which he ate and he ate a grape, which was interesting. He riped the grape open then ate the meat and dropped the skin. hahaha I just gave him some of the banana meat. Would have been ok to give him banana in the peel?

#236139 - 08/04/11 04:08 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: BassPlyr Randy]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
I haven't attempted 'Chop' yet but do make 'beans/rice' mix of my own. You can add beans at time of cooking or when serving - either is fine, providded they are cooked thoroughly. If you use canned bean mix be sure to rinse VERY well to remove as much salt as possible.
Offer small amounts & remove from the cage within 1 -2 hours - fresh foods 'turn' quickly in the heat & become bacteria factories.

Quote:
Do I basically act as if I was making corn bread, but just adding the rest of the stuff to the mix?

Yes... You're doing fine! smile

#236150 - 08/04/11 06:13 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Liisa B]  
Anniesmom Offline
Anniesmom  Offline

Fort Worth, TX
My birds are stubborn, I have tried various different chop recipes but none of them would eat it. If I try baking the same stuff into birdie bread they gobble it down. I used to use jiffy but switched to whole wheat flower to mix in with the bread.

Lisa
#236154 - 08/04/11 06:42 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Anniesmom]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
I suspect that our birds are on a mission from God: they are assigned to develop certain character traits in us, and one of those is the ability to out-stubborn them. Why this should be necessary, I'm not sure. However, my boys tend to like only what I'm eating at the moment. Oh, they will wander over and munch a pellet or two, and even, in a day's time, consume an entire "serving" of them, but "good food" is by definition whatever is going in MY mouth. "She keeps all the really good stuff for herself, you know" I can hear them mumble to each other.
So I keep stuff growing in pots. Fennel. Arugula. Cilantro and parsley. Basil and Garlic chives. Rosemary. Mixed baby lettuces. Alfalfa. Young date palms. (sprouted from pits of dates I use for food) Young apple and pear trees. (same deal) I don't eat ALL this stuff, but I do make certain they see me grazing as I water the plants, or picking leaves for sandwiches. Sometimes, I have a bird on my shoulder or arm, and offer him a bite of my "snack".
Neither of them is uniform in "likes and dislikes". Phred loves fennel one week, loathes it the next. Likes arugula once, and hates it a few days later. It may be because the plants taste different from one day to the next, being in a different stage of flower/seed/leaf growth. It may be any number of things. I try not to worry too much. "make Mom worry" is an entertaining game i'd just as soon they not learn to enjoy too much.
Especially in winter, they will go to the plants when they want to, and nibble on this and that for a few minutes. It's much easier on me and them if I don't try to exercise too much control over what goes in those little beaks. . .as long as it's not part of me. Good food is available, and I don't mind sharing. We will all die eventually, but this seems to me to be an easy way of not letting it have anything to do with lack of nutrition.

Jody
#236206 - 08/05/11 04:47 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: jm47]  
BassPlyr Randy Offline
BassPlyr Randy  Offline

Hot Springs, AR
Well operation "Feed Simon Healthy" has offically begun.

I made the food last night as I said. Used frozen veg except for the sweet potato which was fresh. I used dried beans not canned and long grain brown rice.

I cooked everything seperately and rinsed it (well I didn't rinse the rice) and then combined it all. I also chopped up some of the ZuPreem pellets and added it to the mix. Bagged everything up in 2-3 serving per bag and froze all but one bag.

So I got up this morning and took out the pellets mixed with his old seed mix that was in there. (he didn't eat any of the pellets, just picked out the sunflower seeds as usual) I let him go an hour or so with no food then nuked about 1/2 a cup of the chop for about 20 seconds, let it cool, then served. It looked good.

A spark of hope ... He was clearly hungry and ran straight to the food, he looked at it, turned his nose (beak) up to it and went back to his favorite perch and sat there. Darn ...! Patientce, Persistence, those words flash in my mind as if I just read them yesterday (oh wait, I did just read them yesterday). I made a big deal of the food and even took a bite myself; not bad. That didn't impress Simon at all. So I left it, hoping maybe he would give it a try.

After about 1 1/2 hours of it sitting there, with repeated squawks from Simon as I interpreted as meaning, "Hey where's my food" followed by other birdy type insults and curses. I decided to try another tact, so I remove the dish and add some of the seed mix he likes and mix it in the chop so he has to dig for his beloved sunflower seeds and just maybe taste some of the chop by accident.

So I replace his dish and again, he runs right up, looks at it then turns and gives me the stink eye. He clearly was not amused, but was hungry so began picking out his beloved Sunflower seeds. About 1 1/2 hours later I pull the food from his cage and replace it with a dish of just pellets. I notice that he mostly just ate the seeds that were on top and didn't dig very much but at least I know he ate something so he won't starve to death and hopefully if he is still hungry he will give the pellets a try.

Ok, several hours have gone by and nothing more than a few rudimentary glances at the pellets and some more squawks about his displeasure. So time to give up ... sort of. I installed his new food dish at the very bootom of his cage and gave him some of his normal parrot mix in it while his normal dish has the pellets in it. He went right to the new dish and began eating.

So day one goes to Simon, but that is about what I expected. He's eaten predomiantely sunflower seeds for who knows how long so I know it's going to be a tough road, but one I'm willing to travel.

#236212 - 08/05/11 05:17 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: BassPlyr Randy]  
Brandy's Zoo Offline
Brandy's Zoo  Offline

Oklahoma
Oh I have been looking at a few of your posts and forgive me if I missed it, but have you tried any foraging with him on his changing diet? It may help.??. Prophet evidently had some foraging in his past because he took right to it and loves having a mission and 'finding' the food. Have you tried any 'hiding' stuff for him? I started with a toliet paper roll now I have been multilayering with boxes or paperbags to take him a bit longer. Prophet loves okra, I think partial because he can hold it in his claw and shred lol, so keep trying different foods eventually one will grab his interest. AS a bonus Simon sounds curious so if he sees you having a good time with the veg. then sees you making a big deal and good time with the toliet paper roll?? Maybe try it outside his cage so he doesn't relate it with his food time at first like it's YOUR playtoy and then he will want it even more smile ?? I'm not sure if that makes sense the way I typed it. Anyhow that's my 2 cents for the night.

#236516 - 08/10/11 04:36 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Brandy's Zoo]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
When Phred was learning (at age 15) to forage, I got a little desk doodad at a yard sale. It's a plastic cube, with a couple of drawers in it for paper clips and other little stuff. I washed it obsessively for a while, then began putting in pellets and oats. He quickly learned to open the drawers and "find stuff". Then I sat and strung bias-cut silk through unfinished wooden beads, with oats, sunflower seeds, and little pieces of cashew folded into the silk. He watched with great interest, and asked "What? What?" repeatedly. I told him, each time, that it was toys with stuff inside for him to find. Not sure if the words made much impression, but he loves seeing me start to fold stuff into strips of bias now: "Find stuff. Find stuff, want find stuff."
After this week's trip to the Farmers' Market, I'll be putting his pellets in "find stuff" toys, and his chopped veggies in the sittle desk "dresser". We'll see what happens. . .

Last edited by jm47; 08/10/11 04:37 PM.

Jody
#236793 - 08/17/11 07:04 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: jm47]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
WOW! I didn't have to go to the Farmers' Market, just out to the deck. Made this from the leaves and salad plants my guys will occasionally nibble, and the mixture is a HIT! The first couple of times I served it, they each rummaged through the dishes loooking for the 3 or 4 sunflower seeds they had watched me put in, but got some veggies in the mouths as well. Now they each consume about a teaspoonful daily. Doesn't sound like much, but it's just amazing how much their pellet intake has decreased: almost 30%! Those leaves and flowers and veggies must contain stuff they crave a LOT! Wonder what will happen if I add a pepper to the next batch?

Jody
#237954 - 09/16/11 07:49 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Charlie]  
Pearced848 Offline
Pearced848  Offline

Cleveland Oh
I am curious if anyone else has had this problem. I made a pretty large batch of "chop" and it seemed moist but not wet. I also added the pasta dry as I saw here in a post. But when I'm thawing it it's coming out wet. Any suggestions for my next batch? Do you drain some things? Am I the only one with this problem? I actually crumbled my bird bread which Bj loves into the chop to soak up the moisture. Since he loves that bread he is digging into the chop too. Maybe I had a " happy accident" lol.

#237955 - 09/16/11 08:57 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Pearced848]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I always add some pellets to the mix and that keeps it moist but not wet. Definitely drained everything well, too.

#237965 - 09/17/11 03:32 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Elliott]  
Pearced848 Offline
Pearced848  Offline

Cleveland Oh
Great tip. Thanks. I will try that next time.

#238020 - 09/20/11 09:45 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Pearced848]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
An amazing thing has happened: Bill (tiel) and Phred (sun conure) turned up their beaks at CORN ON THE COB, and prefer the green chop! The did eventually gnaw some kernels off the slices of corncob, but on the whole, they seem to like the mix better!
Mine is a bit different: earlier this year ,I washed alfalfa seeds I was sprouting, and some of them got in the water when I drained it off. I used that water on the plants, and now there are alfalfa plants in some of the pots, so we have "hay". (I left the alfalfa plants because they fix enough nitrogen in the soil to feed the other plants, and also improve the moisture absorbing qualities of the soil.)I included leaves from the alfalfa, along with leaf lettuces, basil, rosemary, a few dracena and date palm leaves (cut up coarsely, and added after the food-processor thing) garlic chives, and fennel. Bill needs more frequent baths now, since his idea of a fashion statement is wearing his food, but it's worth it. (Or maybe he's trying to be one of those "green parrots"?) Gotta wash the wall frequently, as well. More veggies get into the birds this way, which can't harm them. Love it!

Jody
#239339 - 11/11/11 05:46 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
ok i have a question . i bought a bunch of the stuff for the chop recipe and i am going to start mixing it up today but i am not sure about how much of the peppers to put in. i dont want it to b too hot. i got a jalepeno and some habenero and serrano and bell peppers. i dont know anything about peppers as i dont eat anything hot. any ideas about how much to use? i also got squash and kale and rice and pasta and lots of fruit and broccoli. enough for quite a while. so just not sure how much hot peppers to put in. thanks

#239343 - 11/11/11 06:08 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: cocoluvbug]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Birds can eat jalapenos straight, so I dont think you have to worry. Their taste buds are not as sensitive as ours. Be careful when handling them though, I once had a reaction when cutting them and my hands burned all day long. I thought I was going to have to go to emergency the pain was so horrible. I now wear gloves if I am cutting more than just one or two. And make sure you dont touch your face at all lol.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#239344 - 11/11/11 06:09 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
ok good to know thanks. im going to get started!!! yippy

#239360 - 11/11/11 08:02 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
ok i have one more question. are lima beans ok for 'toos? my hubby doesnt think so but i have not found anything that says she cant have them. thanks

#239365 - 11/11/11 08:59 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Pretty much any beans are ok. Mine aren't really fond of limas, but the love kidney beans. Another bean they like are the fava beans.

#239369 - 11/11/11 09:18 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: cocoluvbug]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: cocoluvbug
ok i have one more question. are lima beans ok for 'toos? my hubby doesnt think so but i have not found anything that says she cant have them. thanks

Just make sure that all beans are cooked smile

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#239645 - 11/21/11 04:57 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Every time I make this, it's different, of course, and the boys seem to enjoy the variety. They are each eating about a teaspoonful daily, still, plus gnawing on the plants in the "jungle". Pellet consumption is down even more, to about half what it was before the "Chopping" started. They seem a bit more energetic, but less noisy. Perhaps that is partly due to getting more exercise when they are in the "jungle" for an hour or two at a time.

Jody
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny