Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Print Thread
#238399 - 10/09/11 07:50 PM Improvement and Strange Behaviors  
DucorpsGem16 Offline
DucorpsGem16  Offline

Florida, U.S.
Gem has come a long way since she came here.

Her original owner claimed she was the calmest bird ever that never screamed and didn't use her toys. Well the day she came she held up that reputation but after about a month she started screaming.

Today she now climbs all over the top of her cage plays with her food bowl and will give her toys a tug every once in a while when she's left alone. She throws her crest up and talks until you give her attention if screaming doesn't work. She's very playful and likes to interact with people though still not luck with stepping up. She only screams if there is a whole lot of action and she's not included, or if you were just petting her and you stopped and walked away, but this only lasts for about 5-10 minutes and its really not loud at all.

She's improved a lot but she has many strange behaviors.

- First, if you pet her in a place she doesn't want she flips her head up and nibbles (not the strange part yet) but shakes her head after wards. Sometimes she shakes it on her own put not very often.

- Second, if something's too hard for her to eat she drops it in her water bowl... Less work for her chewing, more work for me cleaning!

- Third, when I pet her and she enjoys it, she stretches her wing out using her claw, and when its all the way stretcher out so the end of her wing is right near her head, she uses her claw to scratch her head and stretch her wing at the same time I pet her.

-Fourth, she prefers to eat her chop frozen.

-Fifth, she only chews one of her perches, and only chews it outside. The perch used to be on top, but then we moved her cage around and now its on the bottom. It has a perch exactly like it thats fully "barked" and she goes down to the bottom to chew the perch. She also chews the ladder with beads, and the plain ladder that has bark, but refuses to chew any other perch.

-Sixth and Last, she prefers standing on the metal cage door than on her wooden perch on top of her cage on her playtop.

Gem - Ducorps Cockatoo
Tweety - Budgie

#238400 - 10/09/11 09:17 PM Re: Improvement and Strange Behaviors [Re: DucorpsGem16]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
I'm glad to see that you are so observant! This one of the most important skills needed to keep a parrot healthy and happy. Great post. Yes, the behaviors are strange, but well within normal behavior for these guys! I'm sure others will post follow-up info. and comments about how their bird does that behavior also.

One comment I have is about the "food softening" issue. Aren't they marvelous to have figured that out? I had a bird that would try to soften pieces of hardware she removed from her toys. She would carry them great distances to try the water dish solution.

Unfortunately, soup in the water dish can grow bacteria very quickly. Water bottles are an answer, but they must be kept clean also, even if you CAN figure out a way to keep them from being destroyed. I can't bear to deprive my buddies the option of moistening their food if they prefer it that way. We allow them so few pleasures in this caged life they must live. Ideally I would supply water bottles for clean water in addition to clean bowls. You really MUST scrub those water bottles and change the water daily, just like a water bowl. Birds also love to stick things in the water tube. I had a Mynah bird that learned to shower from the water bottle. Lots more work than changing the water bowl a few times per day. My vet says people will let those water tubes get slimy or never change the water until it is empty. Very bad.

Last edited by Birdfriend; 10/10/11 01:49 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#238401 - 10/09/11 10:48 PM Re: Improvement and Strange Behaviors [Re: Birdfriend]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Very good observations about the water. I tried water bottles but found it easier to keep bowls clean. Regardless of method of administration, cleanliness is a must. That "slimy" layer is a living layer of Pseudomonas a. bacteria. This stuff is found in any environment and it proving to be more and more resistant to antibodies. Colonies have even been found in distilled water! It very seldom affects healthy and intact organisms but will take advantage of any weakness or break to attack any animal. If the immune system is off in any way, big problems can ensue. Keep water containers clean and dry them occasionally.

I, too, am happy to hear your good update. Our 'Too has favorite perches as well but I change all of her perches out bi-weekly at least. I think it is important to give them as many opportunities to experience benign change as possible. And they should always have choices! Keep up the good work! smile

#238403 - 10/10/11 02:17 AM Re: Improvement and Strange Behaviors [Re: DucorpsGem16]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Sounds like Gem is settling in nicely. We use both a water bottle and water bowl for Cassie. It's more for my fear of her getting the water dirty and not having anything to drink while I'm at work. She uses her bowl during the day and the bottle at night. Keep an eye on the head shaking. We just had a post recently about head shaking. Cassie at one point was shaking her head and it turned out to be a sinus infection.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#238407 - 10/10/11 03:44 AM Re: Improvement and Strange Behaviors [Re: DucorpsGem16]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
All our birds have discovered the "dunkin'" solution to hard pellets! My FIL noticed it with our first conure, and was very impressed; he had a distince love for donuts dunked in coffee. We always joked that his fingers were permanently bent around an invisible coffee cup handle. . .his impression was that the bird was VERY smart! (we thought so, too, but not entirely because she dunked her pellets)

Jody
#238419 - 10/11/11 01:40 AM Re: Improvement and Strange Behaviors [Re: DucorpsGem16]  
DucorpsGem16 Offline
DucorpsGem16  Offline

Florida, U.S.
smile Gem first discovered this while we fed her some bread crumbs during the morning rush. Dropped it in her water bowl, picked it back up, and she ate it like it made no difference but since then she's been dropping stuff she doesn't like/is too hard for her to chew in there.

No slimy build up, I just fill it up a couple times and wipe it out then fill it back up, once a week it is scrubbed or put in the dishwasher. Not sure if she'd figure out how to use the water tube. ( I change her water bowl 1-3 times a day ) I used to have a pet bunny who used the water bottles and I changed those at least once a day.

Gem's out all day long so she has 2 water bowls, one in-cage water bowl one play top water bowl. In her outdoor cage she also has two. One for dipping one of drinking and it works out sometimes....emphasis on sometimes.. wink

I'll keep an eye on her head shaking. I saw that other post on it which is why I decided to include it in this one. LOL

I need an opinion on Lafeber's NutriBerries. The other day I went to the store to look for some bird food, and I saw some nutriberries that said were just as healthy as pellets. I asked the person working there about bird nutrition, she sounded like she knew what she was talking about but we asked her whether we could feed Gem a certain diet that had sunflower seeds in it. She said yes but Zupreem or Lafeber's would be better so I'm not positive if she knew all her stuff....Hmmm... I did end up buying a bag of some of the Nutriberries and Gem loved them as a treat.

So this lengthy pointless story all is leading up to the same question. Are NutriBerries healthy enough to feed as the main diet? (Foraging purposes) Right now, I break little pieces off and feed them to her as treats and she is CRAZY for them.
Is tape safe to use if I'm going to tie the NutriBerries up in tissues and hide them in shredded paper?

(I'm great at de-railing threads but it's my own so... smile )

Two Links to Pre - Arranged bird food. ( I cook it and freeze it afterwards )
what I currently Feed

is this Healthy Bird Food?

Last edited by DucorpsGem16; 10/11/11 01:56 AM.

Gem - Ducorps Cockatoo
Tweety - Budgie

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny