Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23632 - 01/29/03 10:15 AM Quizno's article on Denver news station  
ShamaBird Offline
ShamaBird  Offline

CO
From DenverChannel.com:Dead Parakeet In Commercial Upsets Group

POSTED: 3:49 p.m. MST January 28, 2003

DENVER -- A parrot welfare group has launched an e-mail campaign to convince Quizno's to rework a television advertisement to remove a fake dead bird (pictured, left).

The 30-second ad, aired during the Super Bowl for $2.2 million, tells the story of the sandwich chain's chef, Jimmy Lambatos. He is a man so obsessed with the perfect sandwich that he neglects his everyday life -- including his bird.

He drives a dirty car, forgets to put on pants and neglects his budgerigar, an Australian parakeet. At one point during the ad, the camera pans past a dead bird lying at the bottom of its cage.

"We're lighthearted. We're whimsical. The only thing we take seriously in this commercial is our food," said Stacie Lange, a spokeswoman for the Denver-based company.

After seeing the ad, Diane Doty-Schleder of the nonprofit Basalt-based Gabriel Foundation sent out an e-mail to the organization's 2,000 members. She said hundreds have responded by sending e-mails to the company.

It has been posted on bird-lovers' message boards on the Internet and she faxed the message to Quizno's Chief Executive Richard Schaden.

A representative of Cliff Freeman & Partners, Quizno's ad agency, assured the group no birds were harmed and the bird in the ad was a prop.

Doty-Schleder said parrots are the third-most popular pet in the United States behind dogs and cats.

"Death by starvation and neglect is in epidemic proportions with our caged birds," she said. "It's not appropriate to use neglect and abuse to sell sandwiches. It's not funny."

Lange said she is not aware of an e-mail campaign.

Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

#23633 - 01/29/03 08:23 PM Re: Quizno's article on Denver news station  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
I received an email from Quizno's today regarding the email I sent them. This is what it said.

"Quiznos Subs appreciates your concern for the well being of the animal portrayed in our recent television commercial. Please understand that
the image, one of three equally exaggerated scenarios, was only meant to illustrate in a humorous way the dedication and focus of Chef Jimmy.

Quiznos does not advocate or condone harming any animal in order to sell a sandwich. Further, the bird portrayed was a stuffed prop, and at no
time were live animals ever used during the filming.

Again, we appreciate your concern, and hope this answers your
questions.

Sincerely,

Quizno's Guest Relations"

Maybe after answering a few thousand emails they won't think it is too funny anymore.

Tammy

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#23634 - 01/29/03 11:42 PM Re: Quizno's article on Denver news station  
BonnieTheBirdLady Offline
BonnieTheBirdLady  Offline

Suburb of Chicago, IL
I received the same canned email response - twice! And they say they are not aware of any email campaigns? :p

#23635 - 01/30/03 05:20 PM Re: Quizno's article on Denver news station  
Kathy Offline
Kathy  Offline

Southwestern Pennsylvania
Yep!!! I receivwed the same message. They did not get the message that abuse of any living thing should not be used for advertising.
They opened a store near us and we liked the product. BUT, I AND, MY FAMILY WILL NEVER STEP INTO THAT STORE AGAIN. angry

#23636 - 01/30/03 09:41 PM Re: Quizno's article on Denver news station  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I got the same form letter from them. I don't think it's funny to show ANYthing dead on a commercial, be it human or animal. Really, really bad taste on a food commercial.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny