Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23624 - 01/03/03 06:11 AM Birds May Spread Ebola Virus  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
On Tuesday, December 16, two press releases from Purdue News reported on the results of a research study published in the December 15 issue of the Journal of Virology.

News that birds may be capable of spreading the Ebola virus was soon picked up and broadcast by such news outlets as Reuters, BBC News, and others. By 9:45 PM EDT on Thursday, December 19, a Google search for articles with the key words birds and ebola yielded an amazing 2,840 hits, while a Yahoo search yielded an even more incredible 5,380 hits. There is little doubt that the news of this discovery has traveled infinitely faster than the birds can spread the virus itself.

Is there a hidden message here about the spread of information and (especially) misinformation or disinformation on the World Wide Web? Now that anyone with an Internet connection has the ability to promote themselves as an "expert" on any subject they choose , who are we to believe? Chaos may be closer than we realize. In the meantime, here's where it started before turning corrupt:

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Ebola shares a closer relationship with several bird viruses than was previously thought, bolstering the case for a common ancestor and hinting that birds might carry the deadly virus, a Purdue University research team reports.

David Sanders and his research group have discovered that the outer protein shell of Ebola has a biochemical structure similar to several retroviruses carried by birds. As scientists had known previously of genetic similarity among the viruses, this discovery makes a common evolutionary origin even more likely. It also suggests that Ebola could be spread to human populations by birds as well.

"We knew these viruses were inwardly similar, and now we see their outer similarity as well," said Sanders, associate professor of biological sciences in Purdue's School of Science. "While bird transmission of Ebola is by no means certain, the resemblance among all these viruses should encourage health officials to be on guard for it."

The research appears in Sunday's (12/15) Journal of Virology. Two contributors to the group's research are Scott Jeffers, a graduate student in Sanders' laboratory, and Anthony Sanchez, an Ebola virus expert at the Centers for Disease Control.

Since its discovery in 1976, Ebola has been responsible for hundreds of deaths in central Africa. Though the source of the virus in nature remains unknown, both humans and monkeys appear susceptible. Death rates of between 50 percent and 90 percent are common during outbreaks.

"Ebola is one of the viruses with which the U.S. agencies in charge of biodefense are most concerned," Sanders said. "Identification of its natural hosts should be a priority."

This research was sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Purdue Research Foundation.

#23625 - 01/11/03 02:48 AM Re: Birds May Spread Ebola Virus  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Bringing topic to top.

#23626 - 01/11/03 08:15 PM Re: Birds May Spread Ebola Virus  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Thanks for posting this Jerry. I have always fed the wild birds also. Since having birds as companions though I have been paranoid as to what I can introduce to them via the wild birds so I got into the habit of caring for the wild bird's feeders at night after my birds were in bed and I could come in and directly shower. It has worked well except for the time my neighbor called to let me know someone was "lurking" around in my backyard w/ a tiny flashlight,LOL!!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny