Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235889 - 07/26/11 08:51 PM 14TheParrots Question about adoption  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Originally Posted By: 14TheParrots
I am considering adopting a T2 that is 2 years old. He is currently in Foster care, so I do have some insight into his behaviour. My questions is while he is being acclimated do I let him out to the cage at all and if I'm not to touch him how do I get back in?

I copied your question from that article since it will get more attention this way.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#235890 - 07/26/11 08:59 PM Re: 14TheParrots Question about adoption [Re: Janny]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
If you are unable to have this bird trust you enough and if you can't handle him it can be very tricky.

What it's acting like in it's foster home may not be what you get when you get him into your home.There is usually a honeymoon period that can last up to a year before you see what he is really like and his personality comes through.

Are you able to visit him in his foster home and see how the interactions go?I mean spending significant amount of time with him.Is he able to step up for his foster family etc?

If he is totally a hands off bird then I suggest you don't open that cage up for the first little while and start building some trust with positive reinforcement.When he allows you to interact with him just being near his cage and talking to him.Plop a treat in his dish or offer it to him and see if he takes it by hand (if he does great sometimes they don't so if he doesn't let him have it in his dish).You want to make yourself of value to him so give him allot of good things this way.

If you let him out and are not able to get him back inside and you ended up having to towel him.You would then have a set back in the trust building and the more you have to do that the harder it is to get to a trusting relationship with him.

Until we know more about him though it is very hard to answer your questions.There have been cockatoo's I have brought in and have been able to let them out the same day because the personality and social need was there for them.There have been some that I wasn't able too.You need to learn the body language of a cockatoo (each one is different too) and base it on that and what it is ready for or not ready for.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny