Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Topic Options
#23587 - 12/11/02 08:02 PM OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Jerry Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Loc: Ohio Valley
On page 158 in the "Comfort Zone" section of the December 2002 Issue of "O, The Oprah Magazine," interior designer Diane Love suggests using a live bird in a cage as a decorative accent to give a room "global appeal." This is possibly the most inane, insensitive recommendation
I've ever read.

The bird shown in the photo is a Senegal Parrot, and the cage shown appears to be wrough iron.
The "Shop Guide" on page 244 of the same issue of "O" mentions that the cage was $95.00 and
was purchased from Imports of Marrakesh. The caption on the photo says: (edited) A few exotic
accents add to the enchantment: palms, brass trays, a bird in a gilded cage."

Please write to the folks at "O" to express your concern about their recommendation to use birds or other live animals as home decoration. Be
sure to mention what destructive, messy animals parrots are, that they are wild, exotic
animals with extremely demanding care needs, and how more and more are entering rescues each year because people buy them on impulse with no
understanding of the commitment their care requires.

O Magazine Online Feedback:
http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/omag_wehear.jhtml

O, The Oprah Magazine Editorial Offices
1700 Broadway, 38th Floor New York, NY 10019

Founder and Editorial Director: Oprah Winfrey
Editor in Chief: Amy Gross
Editor at Large: Gayle King
Style Director: Judy Prouty

(This article sent by a member)

#23588 - 12/11/02 11:12 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Mona Offline
Lives Here

I sent them an email. I had to give them my home phone and name, I wonder if Oprahs going to call me? LOL I hope so, I'll fill her ears full of righteous indignation wink She is an animal lover I know.

#23589 - 12/12/02 01:21 AM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Cuzzie Offline

Loc: Durban,South Africa
Oprah is here in South Africa at the moment so I don't think that you going to get a call anytime soon.

#23590 - 12/12/02 01:24 AM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Mona Offline
Lives Here

I was joking wink

#23591 - 12/12/02 09:44 AM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I emailed them, too. It will be interesting to see if we receive a reply. I'll let you know if I do. Come on everybody......give'e mad m hell!!!

#23592 - 12/12/02 11:24 AM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Forever Aviary Offline

Loc: FL
angry I too have emailed Oprah angry I asked if her love of animals didn't include birds. I am ashamed of the designer and Oprah for that article. Come on everybody, email her and tell her to check out some of these sites dedicated to helping these birds!!!!

#23593 - 12/12/02 11:26 AM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Michelle Offline

Loc: London, Ontario
I sent an email. Demanded a retraction.

#23594 - 12/12/02 12:14 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Forever Aviary Offline

Loc: FL
angry I too have emailed Oprah angry I asked if her love of animals didn't include birds. I am ashamed of the designer and Oprah for that article. Come on everybody, email her and tell her to check out some of these sites dedicated to helping these birds!!!!

#23595 - 12/12/02 12:52 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Jerry Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Loc: Ohio Valley
You know.... we've been looking for a benefactor and spokesperson for the National Parrot Sanctuary. Wonder if she (as the richest woman in America) would consider making amends with a donation and as spokesperson?

Maybe someone could mention this at the bottom of their letters to her.

#23596 - 12/12/02 12:52 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Loc: Alaska
I have also sent an email to the "O". I expressed my deep shame for her allowing it to go to print. If a retraction is not put in her next publication I have made the choice to never support anything she sponsors again.

#23597 - 12/12/02 12:56 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Colin Hatcher Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I wrote Oprah as follows:

"It has come to my attention that on page 158 in the "Comfort Zone" section of the December 2002 Issue of "O, The Oprah Magazine," interior designer Diane Love suggests using a live bird in a cage as a decorative accent to give a room "global appeal."

Not only is the very idea of using a live creature as an ornament offensive, but in addition, the cage depicted is entirely inappropriate for the bird depicted, and clearly shows that Ms Love is ignorant about parrots and their needs.

A bird is not a piece of decoration. Parrots are highly emotionally complex creatures - the larger ones have the emotions of a 2 year old child. No one should ever be encouraged to use them as room decoration.

Please consider a more serious article in your magazine about the great responsibilities that come with having parrots as pets.

Please also pass on my comments to Ms Love, that her apparent belief that a parrot is simply an ornament for rich people to use to decorate their houses with, is part of the reason that there are so many abused and suffering parrots today.

regards
Colin Hatcher"

regards
Colin

#23598 - 12/13/02 04:23 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Oh sure, my M2 would make a great decoration. Especially after she rearranged everything. Nothing like big hunks of wood missing from the trim and peeled off sheetrock to give a place that lived in look!

#23599 - 12/13/02 08:40 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
Colin Hatcher Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
LOL - yep - I am imagining my 4 Toos and what they would do to all those silk scatter cushions smile And the owner of the house would be rushing around the room screaming "NO!!!!! NO!!!!! BAD BIRDS!!!!!! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ORNAMENTS!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT'S MY PRICELESS MING VASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

smile

regards
Colin

#23600 - 12/13/02 10:23 PM Re: OPRAH, SAY IT ISNT SO...
3toos Offline

Loc: Vancouver Island
LOL!

Yes, the trims and moulding in the room would look much better having been "re-decorated" by our M2 and U2 taking large chunks out of them.

What the heck are they thinking, or perhaps the problem is that they are not thinking. After all big birds do look pretty, they must be good for decoration.

I hope some of the emails that you people take the time to write make it so someone's attention that can really make a decision and a difference.

ARRGGHHH.. just got our M2 going after the carpet again. Nesting behavoir is hell on carpets, I will be glad when we can put new hardwood in the living room.......Now just how decorative is that? Chewed carpets,,,really...

Gotta run and check our sailboat, there is a REALLY big storm blowing in now, and I am rather worried about her dragging anchor in the storm.

Peter

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny