Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 45 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23579 - 10/27/02 03:53 AM Different types of owners.  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
This is more of a commentary than news. I hope you'll indulge me on this subject.

There are different types of cockatoo owners:

Some owners have a life outside of their birds. They may have kids or other pets or hobbies or work. They spend as much time as they can with their birds.

Some owners live their life around their cockatoos needs. They seldem go on vacation or do things that "normal" people do.

Then there's the obsessive owners. (These are very rare). They live with their 'Toos as though the 'Toos were the only thing in life and so, much time and effort goes into training, and discovery. These are the types of people whom you see at Disneyworld or Busch Gardens doing the parrot shows. Im not saying that obsessive owners are all animal trainers doing shows, but they might as well be. Is this bad? N0. As long as the bird is happy and finds it a great game to be involved in... it's fine. These people are really great with birds but their techniques often fail in the real world with real owners with time constraints or no self disipline.

The point of this is that you will hear of all kinds of things you should or shouldnt do as a parrot owner. What they seldom tell you however is that in some cases... you'd better be involved 24/7 day a weeks to achieve results. For instance, offering a treat to get serious results only works if YOU work at it all the time. Behavior modification CAN work with treats, but you'd better be on the schedule of a bird trainer to pull it off. Do you have that much time? If not, you fall back to plan B with the rest of us.

Another thing is what is , and what is not dangerous to parrots. In order to cover the vast majority of parrots owners we must compile a list long and involved to protect parrots from the "forgetful" or "airheaded" owners.

Take Teflon for instance: I use it and always will. I have the equipment to make it safe and I am self disiplined enough to use it properly. I do not become distracted for any reason when cooking.
Can most people say that? With kids and other pets and a spouse and all the distractions in their lives? Most wouldnt want to take that chance and I dont blame them. One overheated pan while you're on the phone can kill your birds.

Many "dangerous" things are only dangerous in the wrong hands. But to keep things simple, we say that ALL these things can kill your bird.

My point is that depending on what kind of owner YOU are, makes the difference in what you should take from all the different articles on behavior or dangers or anything else that seems contradictory or "a better idea". We attempt a "one size fits all" attitude because to do more would challenge me, my moderators and this website.. or ANY website.

There's an old saying that goes like this: "It's a SMART man who knows his limitations". And so if you feel that there's any possibility of you harming your parrot (even tho others seem to get away with it) DONT DO IT!

And if you see behavior modifications that seem to clash with what most agree with, take a hard look at the time and effort that went into that modification and ask yourself if you're prepared to devote that much time to it also. In other words... are you willing to become a professional bird trainer.. or someone who just wants to live as comfortably as possible with their parrot.

Only you can answer these questions. I hope most understand what all this rambling was about.

#23580 - 12/12/02 06:41 PM Re: Different types of owners.  
Forever Aviary Offline
Forever Aviary  Offline

FL
Jerry, I have to say, you have been an inspiration for me. I'm sure the people on this board feel the same. I get slammed for wanting to "save" macaws. But i feel it's something I have to do. These, and all birds, need a safe, loving home. We can't stop the breeders from selling to just anyone with "money", so we are left to make sure that the ones we can get to are given all that they need. Short of setting them free, we try to give them all we can. They have more toys, variety of foods, playtime, flight time and a safe place to call home.
Thank you for being here and giving as much information as possible.
Forever

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny