Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23551 - 07/28/02 04:01 PM PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
This is a petition to the President of Indonesia
that says in part:
Quote:
As members of the international community, we petition you to exert your full powers to reduce the illegal capture, sale and export
of “protected” and endangered birds in Indonesia, and the illegal logging which hastens their decline towards extinction.

While you have laws to protect these birds, they are only rarely or poorly enforced. On Seram , your own soldiers have taken out many cockatoos as oleh-oleh (souvenirs) . Sadly, in North Maluku, the local conservancy unit itself (SBKSDA) has issued many permits for cockatoos which have a “zero quota” for trapping. Additionally, there are few or no effective sanctuaries for birds injured during capture or smuggling.
Please read the entire petition HERE and then click on the button at the bottom of the page to add your name.

Signed:
Stewart Metz, M.D.
CEO, Project Bird Watch ,and
The Indonesian Parrot Project
parrotdoc@att.net projectbirdwatch@att.net
eFax 208-445-0898

#23552 - 08/04/02 02:44 PM Re: PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I think we all know the effect of petitions on 3rd world countries. But sometimes its all we CAN do, besides spreading the word ourselves. Here's a letter I got this morning:

Hi:
I have just gone through your fascinating site, which affirmed every reason I have not gotten a cockatoo, beautiful as they may be. However, I would like to point out that your petition to President Megawati is an exercise in
futility.

I have lived in Indonesia on an off for over 15 years, and I can tell you now that your petition will not be of any use. President Megawati couldn't care less, believe me! She has more problems that she can handle, and the smugling birds are the least of these. Moreover, the corruption in Indonesia is so endemic and rife through absolutely every aspect of the
country's culture, that nothing, absolutely nothing is going to stop the smuggling of cockatoos, other than the total destruction of the species there. It is already illegal to sell the birds, but they can be found in just about every bird market in Indonesia, and they are pitiful looking. I do appreciate your efforts in thi are, but don't expect very much success.
Sorry to be so negative, but these are the facts.
Mark Berger

Thank you.

I assumed as much when adding my site to the petition. The 3rd world countries, as you say, have enough problems. I also doubt that this petition will do anything but wind-up in the trash. The best that can be hoped for I suppose is that she will be reminded for a single minute that people are still concerned about the native species in her land.

I'm sure that it will take the world stopping importation on their end... before anything
really changes.

Sincerely

Jerry - mytoos.com

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny