Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234921 - 06/26/11 06:15 AM tail wagging  
April Anderson Offline
April Anderson  Offline

Kelowna, BC, Canada
I just got a 10 yr old male M2 and he did the tail swishing to me after trying to step backwards onto my hand, when he didn't full step onto my hand and started wagging his tail I knew something was up. How long do they do that for? I guess he licked my preening too much :S

Animals are children, they need a lot of love, guidance, attention and understanding/compassion.
#234925 - 06/26/11 04:19 PM Re: tail wagging [Re: April Anderson]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Hi! Welcome to Mytoos :-)

To quote Stephen Fry..... "You've been Shagged by a Rare Parrot".... ok not really that funny, but this is basically what's happening.
Please discourage this behavior before it gets to be a problem for everyone, M2's can & frequently do become more aggresive with breeding times, if he is viewing you as 'partner' he may defend 'his' turf to everyone else. Not a good scenario.
A sexually over-charged M2 is not a happy bird, constant hormonal stress is very hard on a birds system.
Please try to distract & redirect his attention elsewhere. Unfortunately the way we 'like' to pet our birds can be very confusing to them :-( ** Petting under the wings/body = having your thigh stroked... & sends the same message).
Keep wood chunks/foot toys for chewing close at hand & limit body touching/ preening to absolute minimum (if at all at this time).

Have patience :-)

and Good Luck!

#234936 - 06/27/11 02:06 AM Re: tail wagging [Re: Liisa B]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
When my Charley came to live with me I was told he would masterbate on my arm and the first time I let him on my arm he did as she stated. Ewww! I could not allow that, so I made sure I had distractions at hand. Such things as Liisa mentioned. Over 7 years later and we have never had a repeat performance, thank goodness!!

Welcome
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#234985 - 06/29/11 07:36 PM Re: tail wagging [Re: Ladyhutch]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Angelina will try this every once in a while. I have learned though that there is a certain way she will try to grab my hand before she does this, so I have been able to redirect her, before this happens

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny