Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 27 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234190 - 05/27/11 01:45 AM Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex?  
loosechippings Offline
loosechippings  Offline

What is the consensus on Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex? I have heard so many negative things about this ingredient, yet most bird foods contain it. Just about everything edible in the pet food stores contains it. I have been feeding all my birds a mix of Harrison's, Totally organics and Goldenfeast Golden'obles and thankfully none of those contain that ingredient.I am just confused about whether or not it is something that should be completely avoided or not.

Hope is the thing with feathers...Emily Dickinson
#234199 - 05/27/11 05:50 AM Re: Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex? [Re: loosechippings]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Menadione is a man-made form of of Vitamin K (known as K3).
http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/notes0801.htm

Quote:
Vitamin K and Bone Loss
Vitamin K, found dark leafy greens, egg yolk, and alfalfa, is required to form the bone protein osteocalcin and may also reduce calcium excretion and bone loss. Researchers suspected it might also protect against osteoporosis. As part of the Nurse's Health Study, 12,700 women aged 38 to 63 filled out dietary questionnaires. Diane Feshkanish, M.D., of Harvard Medical School found that women who ate lettuce each day had only 55% the risk of hip fracture as those who ate it once a week.
Reference: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, January 1999; 69:74-9.
Although naturally derived vitamin K (vitamin K1 and K2) is non-toxic, synthetic vitamin K (vitamin K3) is another story. This form of vitamin K, also called menadione, can build up to toxic levels in the blood. Symptoms of toxicity include hemolytic anemia due to destruction of red blood cells. Some humans experience flushing, sweating, and chest constriction in cases of overdose. An equivalent reaction birds may sensitize the skin and cause some cases of feather picking.
Deficiency of vitamin K can cause bleeding problems, but deficiency is rare in humans and most bird species except when there are problems of malabsorption from the intestines in certain diseases; or when there is an invasion of parasites or yeast; or when antibiotic use has destroyed the population of normal gut flora.
Deficiency can also occur if natural food sources containing vitamin K are not consumed. Alfalfa is an excellent natural supplement for birds.

Menadione is listed as an ingredient on Pretty Bird and Hagens pellets. Zupreem ingredients indicate Vitamin K supplement, so I presume K3. Interesting. My AV's formulated diet of preference is Harrison's but I have a couple of birds that will only eat Zupreem and he has never expressed a concern. Formulated food however only makes up a small portion of my birds total diet.

I doubt that there is a sufficient amount of K3 in any of the quality, reputable pelleted diets to cause toxicity, but at the same time is something to discuss with your avian vet and will depend on the ratio vs. a birds total diet.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#234200 - 05/27/11 06:03 AM Re: Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex? [Re: EchosMom]  
loosechippings Offline
loosechippings  Offline

My cockatiels like Zupreem Avian Entrees and I let them have a little for snacks. I have noticed the "vitamin K supplement" in the ingredients and was concerned about it being meniodone. I am not going to worry about them eating that occasionally since their main pellets do not have it.

My Cockatoo will eat the "pepper" Harrison's coarse pellets if they are mixed with the Totally Organic Pellets and the Golden'obles, but if I give them to her straight she won't touch them!

None of my birds like the plain Harrison's very much, however, they absolutely devour the Totally Organic Pellets.

Hope is the thing with feathers...Emily Dickinson
#234202 - 05/27/11 06:12 AM Re: Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex? [Re: loosechippings]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
When it comes to our birds, in moderation is the golden rule. smile

It was a very good question!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny