Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#233672 - 05/11/11 01:29 PM 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
The Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland took in two wild caught Congo African greys from a bad situation many months ago. They are not tame and have suffered too long. Thanks to Echosmom, I was able to provide them contact info for Project Perry in hopes of giving them a good remainder of their lives in the Grey aviary there. They have been accepted and we just need to get them there (ASAP :-) ). We are in Maine and have a ride set to the Boston area. is anyone good at arranging transport or can anyone volunteer some legs of the trip for these poor angels to finally have a good life?!
Thank you for any help you can give!!!!!

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#233681 - 05/11/11 05:51 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: Rukesmom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I have sent this message to the woman who directs the rescue where I volunteer. She knows people on several dog transport lists and is checking to see if anyone might be able to help.

If we hear anything positive back, I'll get your e-mail from the Admins if that's OK with you?

#233705 - 05/12/11 04:12 AM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I'm glad we are able to offer them their final home and hopefully the transport relay comes together well (and quickly).

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#233712 - 05/12/11 11:57 AM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm in the Boston area and could take them to either the MA/NY line at the turnpike or down into Conn. Weekends are best but with a little notice I might be able to do it on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#233725 - 05/12/11 04:54 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: BE2Cassie]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
ok i can help with the last leg of the trip i know where project perry is and can get them there. i'm in virginia. i'm off sun, mon, tues every week.

helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#233726 - 05/12/11 04:59 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: tristian]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Thank you Nancy, Beeps, and Helen!!!! Yes to email anytime!!!!
Helen, where are you located? Could you meet Nancy or is that too far?
I am so excited!!!!!!

#233727 - 05/12/11 05:03 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: Rukesmom]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
i'm in amelia virginia about an hour from project perry. i could get as far as maryland to bring them back. get with janet or nancy they both have my email. and yes we will get these babies there asap
helen

#233731 - 05/12/11 06:42 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: tristian]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Tania you will most likely need at least two more people between me and Helen. Maryland I think is close to 8-10 hours from me depending on NY and DC traffic.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#233733 - 05/12/11 06:56 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I just have a quick question...would it not be quicker and less stress on the greys if they were flown?VS the days of driving it is going to take to rally them there?

I know the sanctuary in Canada here will fly birds from all over Canada to get there since driving there and staying in unfamiliar places is sometimes more stress and hard on the birds than necessary instead of a 4-5 hour flight.I mean it can sometimes be days in different places and many hours being in a car.Just thinking out loud.Not meant to offend anyone.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#233735 - 05/12/11 07:01 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: Janny]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
janny i thought about that also and since i'm off 3 days i dont mind going to get them i will just need help with ticket money i can put up some of it. i know the crate will have to fit under the seat and if they are in the same crate it may not fit.
helen

#233739 - 05/12/11 08:49 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: tristian]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
rukesmom if this can wait till next week i have someone going to ny for business and can pick the birds up and bring them to me. his business will be paying for the gas anyway so we might as well take advantage of that. he is from ny but lives here in va so they will be dropped off to me directly and i can take them to matt.

nancy nelson said he could meet you in the city. i hope this will stop some of the extra people we will need to find to get them here and maybe less stress.
let me know asap

helen

#233759 - 05/13/11 02:05 AM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I agree Jan - sometimes flying is the least stressful for the bird. Unfortunately the cost if flying in-cabin (which means round-trip airfare for the human) can make it economically infeasible. I have been on the receiving end of a couple of birds flown to me via Continental Quik-Pak (which means they fly in cargo) simply because time wise it was a much shorter (which equates to less stressful) trip (4 hr flight vs 30+ hr drive) and all arrived safe and sound and talking up a storm. I would only ever recommend Continental because they are the only airline (that I know of) thats cargo holds are climate controlled and pressurized. The birds are the last to get on the plane and the first to get off, and are hand-delivered from the tarmac straight to the baggage claim desk. The downside to flying (regardless of which way) is that the birds must be removed from the carrier prior to be accepted for flight so that the carrier can be expected. If the birds are not handleable and/or are not in extremely skilled hands it can be problematic.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#233780 - 05/13/11 12:57 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: jtreuth]  
jtreuth Offline
jtreuth  Offline

USA
Rukesmom, I tried to email you but it won't let me. I am available to help and I am in Maryland. Please email me if you need me.

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/13/11 02:13 PM. Reason: removed email addy - I will send Tania the email address privately.
#233855 - 05/17/11 01:02 AM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: jtreuth]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Hi all,
Thank you for your replys. I have been away and handling some stressful issues myself so have let this drop (which makes me feel very nadly too)... Continental does fly from Portland but I always worry about cargo holds?! I am not sure if the shelter has or woulds spend the money, but I can ask....
Helen, is your friend still making the trip or am I too late???

#233860 - 05/17/11 02:42 AM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: Rukesmom]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
rukesmom you are not to late he will be leaving this week and returning sunday. from there i can take them to matt. i had already taled to matt and he said he wasnt in a hurry to get them here he just wanted them safe. nancy said she was sending you my email. but she wasnt able to get them into the city. i can call nelson and see what i can do to get him to nancy. get my email and i think i sent nancy my phone number and we can chat and see what can be done.
helen

#233866 - 05/17/11 02:01 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: tristian]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'll send on our phone numbers.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#234036 - 05/21/11 03:52 AM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Tania, do you have any updates? I talked to Denise w/the AWC earlier this week and they offered some assistance in getting the birds from Nancy and into NYC, but I don't think Nancy ever heard back from you?

#234047 - 05/21/11 10:08 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm assuming at this point that tomorrow is a no go?
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#234048 - 05/21/11 11:48 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yep Nancy, evidentally so. Many thanks to you and Helen for stepping up to the plate and offering your assistance.

#234145 - 05/25/11 05:24 PM Re: 2 Greys need a ride to project Perry [Re: EchosMom]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
ok so here's what i have. i've been talking to matt the problem was getting the birds outta maine. well i got online and started calling all the zoo's in the portland area. well i got one to help it the maine coastal islands nation wildlife refuges. the director will be driving her daughter to boston this weekend so she can get them to nancy. so we will make this happen. i knew we hadnt gone every person possible so i spent the day on the phone yesterday and had a few say they would help. i'm excited and i know matt will be also he said they have been checked out and can go straight in the aviary when they get there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny