Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#232929 - 04/22/11 06:49 PM ABA  
Lilbiker Offline
Lilbiker  Offline

I am a new cockatoo owner, M2 to be exact I have 8 other parrots as well. I am very interested in learning more about this, mostly to work with my rescued M2 but to also help me understand how to have a healthy and satisfied relationship with all my birds. I have googled it and found many sites but is there a separate book for dealing with parrots?

Thanks Jaime

#232931 - 04/22/11 07:06 PM Re: ABA [Re: Lilbiker]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I haven't come across any book that is ABA-parrot specific. The concepts are the same, no matter what type of animal (including humans!) you're talking about.

The book recommended here in a different thread is called "Understanding Applied Behavior Analysis" by Albert Kearney. When I read it, I would think of examples in my head as to how it might apply to one of my birds.

If you're really interested, you can sign up for an online class: http://www.behaviorworks.org/htm/comp_professional_overview.html but it says the typical wait time to start is 18 months due to demand. Not sure if that estimate is still accurate.

On the website I linked to above, there are some draft chapters and you may find some additional helpful information if you click around.

#232935 - 04/22/11 07:52 PM Re: ABA [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
"The Parrot Problem Solver" by Barbara Heidenreich is an excellent book.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#232936 - 04/22/11 08:14 PM Re: ABA [Re: EchosMom]  
Lilbiker Offline
Lilbiker  Offline

Thanks. I have one other question regarding books. Is the book "Guide to well-behaved parrot" still a useful tool. I have read it and some of the things seem to apply but to me it feels kind of outdated. I do have a clicker and the book which I will begin to use once I have read the book thoroughly and feel that I can do it effectively.

#232937 - 04/22/11 08:19 PM Re: ABA [Re: Lilbiker]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Lilbiker
Thanks. I have one other question regarding books. Is the book "Guide to well-behaved parrot" still a useful tool. I have read it and some of the things seem to apply but to me it feels kind of outdated. I do have a clicker and the book which I will begin to use once I have read the book thoroughly and feel that I can do it effectively.

I have not read the book you mention, so can't help you there, but had to comment on your clicker comment.

I clicker train my birds. I look at it as a way that all of us (my birds and me) can have fun. While I agree that you need to understand the basics, don't worry about doing everything *perfectly*. I've made tons of mistakes, and have gotten better. I found that it really all clicked (ha!) in my head once I started working with my birds. As the book recommends, I started with my easiest, most forgiving bird first.

Of course, if you were training them to do shows or expected to make a living at this, my advice would be different! But just keep it in mind that it's supposed to be fun and if you do something wrong, no big deal.

#232988 - 04/23/11 05:15 PM Re: ABA [Re: Lilbiker]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Lilbiker
Thanks. I have one other question regarding books. Is the book "Guide to well-behaved parrot" still a useful tool. I have read it and some of the things seem to apply but to me it feels kind of outdated.

I enjoy everything Mattie Sue Athan has written...she has been a behavior consultant for decades now. Another good book on parrot behavior I recommend is "Breaking Bad Habits in Parrots"by Greg Glendell. The title of the book is a bit misleading - it isn't about just solving problem behaviors.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#232993 - 04/23/11 08:48 PM Re: ABA [Re: EchosMom]  
HollyAnn Offline
HollyAnn  Offline

Ohio
The estimate wait time for the class is still accurate. I am supposed to start in Jan. 2012, I signed up about 4 or 5 months ago. I heard it was worth the wait!

#232996 - 04/23/11 09:17 PM Re: ABA [Re: HollyAnn]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The Living and Learning Parrots course is invaluable!!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny