Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#231880 - 03/28/11 07:43 PM Just adopted a 4 yr old U2  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
Hello I've just recently addopted my U2 Noobie a week ago (shes in addition to our Citron Too and 2 love birds). I got her from a lady who claims that Noob intimidated her 1 year old Macaw and she didnt have enough time to show them seperate attention. She is the sweetest bird she dances and sings and talks constantly. She seems to have already attached to me she gets so excited when she sees me and will talk up a storm for me but not my boyfriend (I dont feel too bad about that though because his Citron does not like very much unless im petting him or feeding him). With that said there are some things about her that worry me so I have an appointment scheduled for her tomorrow with a vet. Some of the things that worry me are the fact that her previous owner fed her junk food all the time! I couldnt beleive it when this lady so proudly told me (the 1st night I came to visit Noobie) that "they had just gotten done eating pie and there was probably still whipped topping on her cage." When she came to me the 1st day her poops were a medium brown color and very runny and messy. The next day they were normal due to getting her on a healthy diet immediately. Also her vent is very large and matted with poo (I knew this couldnt be right) and I read that they should also be tight, clean and dry. Im a little fearfull that she migh be egg bound. I read that they could have respitory problems from the straining while try to pass the egg. She does breath very hard when she dances and she loves to go under blankets and while shes under there she makes hissing sound. She also likes to sit on my knee and bang her beak. I read that is her way of saying I love you but i also read that they may try to regurgitate and im not down for that lol so i stop her before she gets too excited. I gave her a shower the other day and she got very excited and started to flap her tail back and forth and then proceeded to do what I beleive to be try to lay an egg. It looked like pooping but way more extreme and her vent was coming out really far.

Also her nails are extremely over grown I feel so bad for her it cant be comfortable but she doesnt act like shes in any pain like I said shes such a happy girl. It just amazes me that nothing has been done for her when it comes to her vent and her nails. I knew immediately that something wasnt right and this lady had her for a year! I asked her previous owner if she had any papers for her and she said no she has never been to the vet shes always been healthy with normal feces and all that. I just wanted to say are you kidding me?? But I kept it to myself. She basically tryed to talk me out of taking her to the vet because I would be wasting my money. Im so glad she has come to me and now I can give her the proper care and love she needs because she SO deserves it. Ive researched all of this alot and found most of my answers which is why Im taking her to the vet but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on my Noobie girl. =o)

Noobie, Pootie and The Babies =o)
#231881 - 03/28/11 07:58 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi there, and welcome to MyToos! Yes, Yes,Yes your are doing the absolute right thing in taking her to the avian vet! It sounds like she may be in danger of a cloaca prolapse, and you must be very vigilant for the signs of listlessness or straining! Is there any way the vet can see her today? If not, and it must be tomorrow, please watch her carefully for any changes in her behavior. Once you have seen the vet, I am sure a course of action to help Noobie will be planned. The behaviors like hissing and clucking under the covers are clear signs of nesting behavior and need to be discouraged (even though she enjoys being there under cover) so as to discourage egg-laying. While natural in the wild, egg-laying in captivity outside of a controlled bredding situation is fraught with problems for the companion bird and their human.

Thank you for adopting this sweetheart and please keep let us know how the vet visit goes! Keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be ok with Noobie!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#231891 - 03/28/11 09:22 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: MissYumYum]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
I will keep you posted thank you very much and I wont let her get under tha blankets anymore but shes gonna be mad! lol

#231896 - 03/28/11 10:44 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
Annette...just wanna say I read up on cloacal prolapse which scares me because it really sounds like whats wrong with her. It makes me think that maybe her previous owners were too "cuddly" with her or maybe thought it was funny when she did the shaking while they were petting her. I know the lady whom I adopted her from did it to her all the time every time she was petting her and she would day "Oh shes just in heat" and she also would feed her treats from her mouth...ugh im sad because I dont know if ill be able to afford the surgery she will probably need. =o(

#231897 - 03/28/11 10:54 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
The first thing to do is get her to a vet. It may or may not be a prolapse, so please dont delay getting her there because you feel you wouldnt be able to afford the surgery. Also wanted to say that its wonderful she is accepting a healthier diet so quickly. My angelina took a long time to get used to healthy treats. Good luck and let us know what the vet says

#231900 - 03/28/11 11:09 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: angelinasmom]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
I am FOR SURE getting her there tomorrow. I wish I could get her in sooner but atleast its tomorrow. Yeah she begs for our food but we've never given any of our birdies junk food so we know better than that. Shes a very good girl. Ill keep you posted. Thank you!

#231901 - 03/28/11 11:55 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Excellent advice given. Please keep us updated on her vet visit tomorrow and good luck.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#231903 - 03/29/11 12:44 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: BE2Cassie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

You have already been given such wonderful advice, I just wanted to add my own welcome to you both and that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#231916 - 03/29/11 04:17 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: LuvMyBabies
Annette...just wanna say I read up on cloacal prolapse which scares me because it really sounds like whats wrong with her. It makes me think that maybe her previous owners were too "cuddly" with her or maybe thought it was funny when she did the shaking while they were petting her. I know the lady whom I adopted her from did it to her all the time every time she was petting her and she would day "Oh shes just in heat" and she also would feed her treats from her mouth...ugh im sad because I dont know if ill be able to afford the surgery she will probably need. =o(

I didn't mean to scare you, but I just wanted to emphasize the importance of watching her very carefully until you can get her to the vet. I can tell that you have done your homework!

Yes, it does seem like her previous owner "loved" on her too much - easy to do with these cuddle bugs as so many of them are, mine included! But, we as caretakers, must do our best to cultivate a parent/child/teacher-type of relationship with these intelligent animals and discourage the development of a mate-type bond with them as much as possible. After enduring several scary egg-laying incidents with my U2 over the last several years, I have really gotten much better at identifying the triggers and modifying her environment to discourage breeding behaviors. My girl is really bonded to my teenage son and during the time of the year that she has laid an egg (Dec./Jan), I limit the amount of time she gets to spend with him and make sure that I increase her sleeping hours to 12-14 per day vs. 10-12 hours at other times of the year, among other modifications.

Please let us know how things go with the vet tomorrow! We shouldn't jump to any conclusions until Noobie has been examined. I can tell that you really want to help this girl live a wonderful life with your family, and we can help you do just that smile!

Annette

#231919 - 03/29/11 06:07 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: MissYumYum]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
Thank you everyone very much for the welcomes you are all great and its good to know that you are all here to help. You all have very good advice and I really appreciate it. Im very anxious for her visit tomorrow and I will update you as soon as we get home! I was also wondering how do you discourage your U2 Annette when she shows the sexual behavior? Do you tell her no or put her away? Also is the dancing a sexual behavior because she is ALWAYS dancing.

#231920 - 03/29/11 06:57 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'm not Annette but she really did answer your question about how to discourage sexual behavior:

Originally Posted By: Annette
But, we as caretakers, must do our best to cultivate a parent/child/teacher-type of relationship with these intelligent animals and discourage the development of a mate-type bond with them as much as possible.

This is the crux of the problem. You can look at videos of wild parrots all day long and you will not see two birds in contact with each other unless they are playing and roughhousing or mating. You may also observe wild mated pairs sleeping next to each other.

I would say I have less than 5-10 minutes a day in which my cockatoo is on my body and this includes moving her around with me from room to room. This helps to NOT promote a mate bond. When they do approach you for close contact in a sexual, quivering or panting manner, or even attempt to masturbate, the best course of action is diversion. 'Toos love games like throwing toys back and forth and training sessions. This will encourage the parent/sibling/teacher bond which is what you should strive for.

All the sexual behaviors are hardwired into these birds and are instinctual. You are never going to be their mate and there is no reason to go down that road. Pick the bird up and go play a game, have a training session, go for a walk or swing them on a rope and let them exercise. These are the best and healthiest of relationships. They will love you every bit as much. Oh, don't use food as a distraction either, it may be interpreted as a reward for the sexual behavior!

My cockatoo dances a lot too and I don't think that is sexual. They can be very silly animals and love for us to be silly with them. When you observe the wild ones, you will see silly! This "dancing" may also be "displaying" which most cockatoos do several times a day.

I hope your vet visit goes well tomorrow, we will be waiting for an update. Stay positive and welcome to Mytoos! smile

#231921 - 03/29/11 07:49 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: Charlie]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
Thanks Charlie good to know I can still dance with her =o)

#231938 - 03/29/11 11:33 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
Okay everyone here is the update! We just got home from the vet and she said Noobie is a perfectly healthy too! She said she didn't feel an egg and her abdomen felt normal sized. She said that her vent is clean and dry where it is supposed to be but she is just a messy pooper apparently and her poo looks perfectly normal. She said too watch her eating habits and make sure there is not changes. She also got her nails trimmed and they feel SO much better. She did bite the vet while they were trimming her nails but who can blame her? I don't think shes ever been to the vet before so it was pretty scary for her. Im so happy she is healthy!! Thank you everyone for you thoughts I greatly appreciate it and so does Noobie girl!

#231939 - 03/29/11 11:48 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
Anniesmom Offline
Anniesmom  Offline

Fort Worth, TX
I am so happy to hear all is well with Noobie, now you can relax and enjoy your time with your new bird.

Lisa
#231940 - 03/30/11 12:17 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: Anniesmom]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
Yes! Thank you

#231941 - 03/30/11 12:31 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Awesome news!! Hurray for Noobie! I have been anxiously checking this thread today and hoping for good news! Now, I think you should just let her settle in and get used to her new family and you to her. We can help you work on discouraging any nesty behaviors as they arise. For now, start with limiting petting to her head and neck, make sure she gets as much exercise as possible to work off all her excess energy and keep her busy, and provide her with dark and quiet sleep time of at least 10-12 hours per night.

Enjoy your new precious 'Too! smile

Annette

#231947 - 03/30/11 01:47 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: MissYumYum]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm so happy to hear that Noobie is ok, I'll bet you are relieved!
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#231957 - 03/30/11 04:19 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: BE2Cassie]  
LuvMyBabies Offline
LuvMyBabies  Offline

Nebraska
I was very relieved Cassie. And Annette she went right in her cage on her perch even with the door open and has been relaxing the entire day. It really wore her out. And I have been petting only her head now to avoid her doing the shaking and no more blankets! We brought home willow branches last night Noobie didnt want anything to do with it in her cage, Pootie accepted it in his cage but hasnt touched it yet and the babies have almost completely shredded theirs. They love it lol. But I am going to look up some games me and Noobie can play together and also maybe look into clicker training since shes so young I think she will take onto it well. But I dont have any experience with it so Ill have to do some research. Again thank you guys!!

#231958 - 03/30/11 04:44 AM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: LuvMyBabies]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Good job!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#231960 - 03/30/11 01:59 PM Re: Just adopted a 4 yr old U2 [Re: EchosMom]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Wow, I too was waiting to hear about this.Im so happy for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny