Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#229292 - 01/16/11 02:07 AM Chop Recipe  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
This past summer when Patricia Sund visited Best Friends, she talked to me about making "chop" for my birds. At the sanctuary we have the luxury of a full-time dietician for the birds. But at home, mine were getting frozen veggies and some greens, and whatever else I could rustle up every evening.

Patricia makes her birds food in huge batches and then freezes it. She convinced me to try it on my guys. The concept is that the veggies are all chopped in the food processor, so it they are tiny bite sized. When they are all mixed together, it's hard for a bird to take a bite of carrot, without getting a bit of broccoli as well.

The first time I made it, it took about a week before anyone would try it. I did it for the third time this afternoon, and the birds were dancing in anticipation before I could dish it up. There is no real recipe...just whatever healthy grains, greens, veggies, beans and pasta you want to include.

I went to the grocery store at 3:00 and spent $50. By 4:30 I had processed enough food to last 6 weeks in individual freezer bags. This time I cooked split peas, corn, rice, wild rice and added it to summer squash, winter squash, all types of peppers, sprouts, carrots, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, peas, green beans, corn, frozen veggies, orzo pasta, wheat berries, and brussel sprouts. Everything was whirled in the food processor and then mixed together in a big tupperware bin.

I love this concept for several reasons: the birds are getting balanced nutrition each and every night. I don't have to hurry home and drag out the chopping board. And 2 hours work will keep the kids fed for weeks. Win for me and huge win for the birds.

Just thought I'd share.

#229293 - 01/16/11 02:33 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Sounds good. The only thing I don't care for is making up a batch to last more than a week. I found that if I make up to much it tends to lose alot of it's taste appeal. I prefer to make up only enough to last about a week. But with only four birds it only takes me about 10 to 15 minutes a day to prep their foods.

#229296 - 01/16/11 03:28 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Elliott]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
You freeze the mixture and then defrost the food as you need it. And it seems to hold it's flavor/color/texture extremely well. My kids all eat it like there's no tomorrow. Only way I can get them to eat broccoli....

#229301 - 01/16/11 05:59 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Oh sounds like a great idea to me! So are you cooking all the vegies, or leaving some raw? Do you cook and then put them through the processor or visa versa? Sorry for so many questions but I wanna give this a try for my crew. I already do the bean/rice/vegie mix, but like you said all chopped up it is harder for them to avoid that nasty broccoli lol.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#229307 - 01/16/11 06:51 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
The fresh veggies are all raw and chopped up in the processor. I microwaved the sweet potato and winter squash. I also processed 1/2 the frozen veggies. The rice, split peas, wild rice were cooked. The orzo pasta I added raw, as it helps soak up all the extra moisture when it is frozen. There is no real recipe...just a little of whatever is available at your grocery, chopped fine, and then mixed together and frozen. I know my kids get a better diet this way. Sprouts, greens, and veggies every day...instead of what I happen to have available.

#229313 - 01/16/11 04:17 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Thank you so much Jacque, cant wait to give it a try and see if mine will like this wink.

Deborah

#229467 - 01/19/11 02:49 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I am happy to report that this was a huge hit with the Tiels...Ozzy is still deciding lol. I really like the idea though and I know Ozzy prefers all cooked foods, however he is nibbling at this and so I will continue to make and offer it to him. Maybe it is just finding the right combination of ingredients that his royal fluffy butt approves of grin.

Deborah

#229478 - 01/19/11 06:42 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
It took my guys a week or so to completely accept it. But I know that they are getting a much better diet because I started doing this. It is such an extensive variety, each and every day.

#229643 - 01/23/11 05:54 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Just wanted to give this thread a bump, making all the vegies chopped like this really has my flock trying all kinds of new things. If anyone has a picky eater this is a wonderful way to get them trying new things. The Tiels are literally waiting at the door of their cages for their breakfast now. When I first made it, I added a sprinkle of seed on top for them, and they dove in and now I dont even add the seed. Thanks for the wonderful idea Jacque!

Deborah

#229646 - 01/23/11 10:22 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
FeatheredAngels, what all did you mix together? I have tiny! budgies to a M2. I have a huge Kitchen Aid food processor to a small 12oz size. I'm anxious to try this but all I see are different size chop and different packages. Thanks.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#229650 - 01/23/11 11:50 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'm anxious to try this as well, choices in food is the way to go!

#229652 - 01/24/11 12:42 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Charlie]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
What I like best is that it allows me to give my guys a much better diet over-all. I spend a couple of hours chopping, cooking, processing and then the guys have enough food for a couple of months.

The batch I'm feeding right now was:
split pea calico bean soup mix (without the seasoning)that I cooked for about an hour. During the last 10 minutes I added some wild rice.

Chopped up broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, kale, peppers (hot and sweet), brussels sprouts, sprouts (alfalfa, bean and broccoli), flax seed, summer squash, orzo. (I don't cook the orzo, it actually helps absorb moisture when you defrost the mix). You want to drain the peppers a little before you add them, as they have a LOT of moisture in them.

Microwaved and chopped sweet potato and winter squash, diced up.

5 large bags of frozen mixed veggies. I put 3 bags through the food processor and 2 I left whole.

Mix everything together. Put in freezer bags. You only want about 2-3 days worth in a bag. Throw them in the freezer. I always have one bag I'm feeding from and one I'd defrosting in the fridge. I feed between 1/4 to 1/3 cup each evening, depending on the size of the bird. I also add a little something extra a couple of times a week, like a little chopped boiled egg.

#229656 - 01/24/11 04:39 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Jacque]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I just kinda added as I went and this is what I came up with. I made enough for two weeks worth for all the birds. It is chopped rather fine and my Tiels are enjoying it as much as Ozzy. I think this works for all size birds.

cooked items
Assorted Dry Beans
Brown wild rice
One bag of mixed frozen veggies (didn't put in food processor)
sweet potato baked and peeled
whole wheat pasta
barley

fresh items
Broccoli
Red and Green peppers
Assorted leafy greens
jalapeno

I drained and cooled everything well and then mixed it all together in a large bowl. I actually did add some hard boiled eggs chopped up with todays dinner. I didnt put egg in the whole batch, I normally only offer eggs once maybe twice a week tops.

Since I was already in the kitchen cooking, I made up some birdie bread, started out with a banana bread recipe that I have altered for the birds and added some frozen strawberries, crushed pellets and some of the other vegies I had cooked.

I had some very happy birds all day today, they were all enjoying the yummie foods.

I really think the key is changing up the items you put in this mix to keep it exciting and chopping it is just a fantastic way to get them interested. The first couple of days that I served this, I just sprinkled with some seed to get them trying it, but it didnt take them long to really get into this chopped mix. I dont add any seed to it now.

Deborah

#229789 - 01/28/11 04:06 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

I tried the "chop" right after I saw Patrica or maybe Jacque post it on FB. It was done as a video. It offers excellent variety and it must be optimum nutrition. Winter STILL wont try it but everyone else loves it. I swear he won't eat anything, I don't know how he's still alive to be honest. And it's not for lack of trying.. I throw away enough food to feed a 3rd world country. I keep keepin' on though. What he doesnt eat, the dog does. And I swear he never likes the same thing twice. EXCEPT organic mixed baby food vegetables mixed with quinoa and/or amaranth.
I DID however find a trick for brocoli for everyone BUT Winter.I steam it and then drag it through Hummus. They have to eat the broccoli to get every last lick of Hummus. They love Hummus!

#229792 - 01/28/11 04:14 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Winter's mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cheryl will Winter eat bread? You could try making him a sandwich out of the chopped and adding a thin coat of the baby food. I've tried this with some of the more picky eaters that come to board and it's worked well with some of them. I use a whole grain organic bread.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#229794 - 01/28/11 04:24 AM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

once in awhile he will eat birdy bread, but only if it's sweetened with raw honey and banannas and if it's warm. But regular bread? Naw .. I tried giving him peanut butter on whole wheat bread because it makes a whole protein. But he licked off the peanut butter and dropped the bread. BUT he WILL eat crackers ..maybe I'll try spreading it on crackers! Thanks Nancy.. didn't think of tryiing it as a spread!

#229801 - 01/28/11 02:51 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Winter's mom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Well we all know how much you have tried Cheryl. Ozzy is a bit picky also, he has improved greatly and does eat the chop but not as much as I would like him to. I still feed nightly oatmeal with baby food or pureed vegies. He rarely turns away from that. Since Winter will eat his baby food, maybe puree some more things to go in that? Ozzy does eat anything better if spoon fed, maybe this is the same for Winter?

Deborah

#230886 - 02/24/11 07:47 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I fixed up a batch of chop yesterday, and everyone has at least tasted it, even Charley who is shall we say very discriminating in his tastes. I hope this is accepted by all. With the price of veggies going sky high it would sure save on the grocery bill.
I watched the video posted on fb and went from there. I did not make as big of a batch, but I have 40 days supply for the little guys and a 35 day supply for the cockatoos.
Thanks Jacque for starting this thread.
Sharon

Last edited by Ladyhutch; 02/24/11 07:51 PM. Reason: added something

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#230889 - 02/24/11 08:37 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: Ladyhutch]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

It is really an awesome way to make sure our Angels are getting a good healthy balanced meal. I absolutely love it and like you said a real dollar saver. Once made it is a time saver also, so easy to give them this and not have to chop, shred and dice everyday.

Deborah

#230892 - 02/24/11 10:30 PM Re: Chop Recipe [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
I went shopping last night and spent about $50, but that will provide enough food for the next 5-6 weeks. $10 a week for 7 large parrots is a heck of alot cheaper than the way I used to feed them. And I know they get a much, much healthier selection this way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny