Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229805 - 01/28/11 04:58 PM 18 birds saved/cautionary tale  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

The rescue where I volunteer recently got a call from the authorities -- a woman had been found dead in her house and there were 18 birds (including 2 toos) that needed to go somewhere. She had no family or close friends willing/able to help.

It was obvious that the birds had been well cared for at some point, but not recently (for at least the past few months, if not longer). It looks like she had just been throwing some poor quality seed in their cages.

Luckily she had the birds' names on their dishes (except for one), so we can use their names, which hopefully will be a source of comfort for them, but we know nothing else -- age, favorite food, favorite toys, a phrase/song that the bird loved that might help ease their transition...

The birds are all in bad shape -- one had to be rushed to the emergency vet and probably has about a 50% chance of making it. The others should pull through, but will run up huge vet costs.

The reason I'm posting this is that it brought up some good points:

1. If your condition is deteriorating and you can no longer care for your birds properly, it is far more humane to rehome them someplace where they can be cared for. These guys all have nutritional deficiencies they will need to overcome, and their poor physical condition puts them at risk of infection, etc.

2. Even for those of us who are healthy, leave a detailed care sheet/information with a reliable friend. Even if that friend is unwilling to take care of your bird(s) when you're gone, knowing as much information as possible about the birds likes/dislikes will help to ease their transition.

We're just lucky that she was found the next day. I don't know how long any of them would have survived if it had been a day or two longer.

#229806 - 01/28/11 05:10 PM Re: 18 birds saved/cautionary tale [Re: Beeps]  
Sundial Offline
Sundial  Offline

US
Poor things, I hope they all make it into good homes. Where was this at?

I gave up the best thing that ever happened to me.
#229807 - 01/28/11 05:42 PM Re: 18 birds saved/cautionary tale [Re: Sundial]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Very sad and they will all be in my thoughts and prayers. But what a good reminder to all of us to keep up our records for our feathered angels Beeps, ty for posting this.

I keep a detailed record on my computer and also a print out in a binder. I have every vet visit, all food likes and dislikes, little progresses, weight etc. We also have a plan in place should something happen and I am unable to care for my babies. I have gone so far as to make a second plan just in case needed. I got this idea from the fine folks here and I must admit, it sure eases my mind knowing my babies care will continue properly.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#229815 - 01/28/11 08:29 PM Re: 18 birds saved/cautionary tale [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Thank you for posting, my prayers and wishes for a healthy recovery are going out to all of them. Good point too in keeping accurate records. I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a disorganized person and my records are scattered. My husband is much better at it than I am and when he comes across any of the girls vet records he files them away for me. I do have a file of the girls diets and care sheet for my husband and son in the event that I get sick and can't care for the crew. But even that is on my other laptop and needs to be downloaded on to a disk before the computer dies completely.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#229819 - 01/29/11 12:46 AM Re: 18 birds saved/cautionary tale [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Do any of your AV's use PetPortal? It's a good way to keep pictures and names, and medical history. Our AV has those magnetic calling cards I keep on the refrigerator too. It's the only thing on the refrigerator. One of many 'just in case' back-ups.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#229847 - 01/30/11 05:14 AM Re: 18 birds saved/cautionary tale [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Thank you Beeps for bringing this to our attention. Thanks Brandy's mom... I will check out PetPortal!

Gail
#229854 - 01/30/11 06:22 PM Re: 18 birds saved/cautionary tale [Re: Bird Mom]  
popeye1 Offline
popeye1  Offline

arkansas
I have seen you alot of this site.....I am very new to it ...I shall check this site out.....thanks Popeye

Not all Too's are bad & hopeless!!! Kim & Popeye

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny