Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#215248 - 01/15/10 03:27 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Originally Posted By: ZazuSally
I prefer my bird's company over pretty much everyone unless there is chocolate involved. Bev

I agree completely!

#215249 - 01/15/10 03:46 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
"you are figuring out her world and what she needs"
I understand what you are saying and am glad I have it straight in my head. The toughest part is giving her support from a distance. As a human I have learned to cuddle, and other ways of making contact to support someone. With her being so abused and scared she wouldn't even stay in the same room when I first got her. She will finaly stay put when I go past her. If anyone else walks buy she takes off. (not graceful at all) She has wiped out at LEAST 1-2 meals a week by being startled by an outside source. (shadow, or neighbor dog barking). I wouldn't mind if it was a movie but my heart breaks that any creature would fear my presence so bad they would endanger themselves to get away. I had started by giving them their room mainly for saftey sake (and to protect the rest of the house LOL) and I would start down the hall talking to her for a few weeks, graduating to standing in the doorway for periods then sleeping on a bed next to the cage. That's when she was out and got on me to look and scared both of us. With my health I don't think it good to be in such a small space with them breathing deeply asleep so that was short lived but served it's purpose. I will still take a nap in there if I have to but put them in their cages for safety. I hate to say it this way and please hope no one reading takes offence but she is more difficult than children I've delt with who have autism. Not that I mind. The one blessing of making progress with her is every small tiny step is a HUGE landmark in my pea brain. My reward is her peace if that makes sence. I'll post the log after they go to bed tonight. Thanks and hope you're having a great day. It's going to 50 here at the beach today & LOTS OF SUNSHINE !! Deb

#215297 - 01/16/10 04:21 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Okay Miss Bev, You asked for it. Hope I'm understandable (is that a word)
8:30- Kernal starts crying and yelling
8:45- open cages, talk good morning and how are you, give kernal kisses for stepping up.
8:55 Gretta comes out of her cage and goes through k's cage checking everything out and stands around on top of the cages
9:10 Gret starts contact calling and I call back
9:30 She waddles down the hall see's me in the kitchen and runs back to her room..
10- I'm in the living room K is eatting at the snack bar and Gret gets on the chair that is fartherest away
10:30 I move a chair closer to the snack bar and show G where her breakfast is
10:35 She's on the close by chair, jumps on snack bar walks around to my side about 2 feet from me she stops bows and says Heddo.
I stay in my chair but do the same back and she hops on top the counter and goes to eat breakfast
Black berries Whole wheat pasta crust from grain bread w/seeds on it (won't do blackberries)
11:00 the 2 of them are on the back of the recliner preening each other. spend the next hour plus jumping from arm to arm on the chair and walking around checking stuff out. On the counters, table & floor.
12:30 I sit at pc to work and K flys to me then G comes over to the arm of my chair. I get up she moves a little I am speaking in a happy tone to her. "pretty Gretta, you are so pretty, look how brave you are my goodness I just love you up" you get it. I put a piece on pasta between us and she gets it. now I get a small piece of PB chip boom here she is I offer my hand and she takes it, comes back and looks over the side of the chair and sofa looking for more (never happened before). Boy why can't it be healthy snacks. She is hopping around and looking for more she has a total of 2 chips. I put pnt btr on a spoon K gobbles it G takes a taste and leaves. Refil the spoon after K gets done. Gretta doesn't like it and smears it on the white sofa.

For the rest of the afternoon until 4:50 they nap on and off and Gretta is jumping on the sofa running & hopping on the back , looking to see what I have watching , out the window in 5-10 minute spurts and sitting on the back of the recliner with Kernal, and jumping over the sunshine on the rug. At one point she went down the hall got her wooden bar bell and chewed it. She also pulled the curtains up from behind the sofa and tried to nestle under my coat.A "Gretta" no or hey you and she stopped. Tonight is a rarety I am going to a neighbors for dinner so they are back in their cages at ten of 5. Through out the day I have talked to them played with kernal and tried to coax Gretta with nice words "aww come here babes, it's okay, I love you, don't be scared you're safe I won't hurt you no I love my birdies yes I do" There are baskets and wood toys for them to play with and toilet paper rolls with surprises inside. some raffa stuffed in things. When she gets on the counter around 4 I give them carrots in chunks & shredded and apple pieces. Today she hasn't gone to her room at all. Oh and one thing I noticed 2 weeks ago and it happens regular like clock work.. ready it's weird...when Gretta first comes out and gets on the chair even if I greet her from afar she will pooh the first time I go near her. She does this on few other occasions that are so predictable. It's like I scare the crap out of her. Doesn't matter how long ago she has eatten or poohed.
Opened the cages at a little before 7 tonight. Kernal did a repeat of this morning and Gretta has pretty much stayed on the cages with an occasional honk.
scream fest 7:20 till almost 8 (BB starts this just about every night and a few afternoons a week.) During this anything goes we honk, flap scream sing clap get down right foolish. even the dog gets wound up running after her toys BB screams "help" and no matter what room Gretta is in she will yell, or honk, Kernal will hang from the ceiling fixtures and if music is good it gets real loud. But tonight just hollering and laughing.
at about 8:05 it's been quiet and they are starting to fluff (that night thing they do) So Kernal goes in his cage Gretta goes in hers they get some dry cereal added like cherrios light stays on a few and by 8:30 every body is quiet and settled lights are out. They also have pellets and water with a hanging toy's and a basket to play with.
Tell me this is what you wanted....Deb

Last edited by FunnyFarm; 01/16/10 04:26 AM.
#215306 - 01/16/10 06:24 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
OK, Deb, after all that I want you to tell me what you want from them? Sounds like a pretty good life to me. How long have you had them now?

Gretta eats the Cheerios?

And she eats the whole grain bread?

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#215325 - 01/16/10 05:40 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Hi Bev-
First do you still want the other 2 days you suggested a 3 day journal. Honestly aside from a bit of variety in the menu and maybe bath times it's pretty much the same.

I have had them since about may they are supposedly 25 years old. Yes Gretta will eat some cherios but she likes the whole grain bread will eat that most of the time when offered. and loves uncooked wheat pasta. None of these are good enough to get half the reaction of a peanut butter chip. I know everything in moderation I was thinking about trying to make a chip maybe with honey or stevia leaves but need to research it first. I ain't gonna keep giving her pure sugar it's just not healthy.
Here is the hardest answer to say.
I don't want anything from them other than for them to be happy and secure with me. I am sure Gretta has grown in trusting me but she isn't ready to let down her gaurd yet (probaly never will totaly trust me I have hands and hands hurt her). I'm hoping that with in say the next decade (realisticly) she will sit on my arm or step up or allow me to do her nails just some sort of basic contact/touching. Or run to me not away. Other than that I couldn't ask anymore. I doubt that they'll every use a toilet to potty or do house work so what more can you ask? They love, entertain,teach & give me purpose when the days are dark and make me greatful.
Thanks Bev, Deb

#215371 - 01/17/10 02:56 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Bev did you see a recall on pine nuts? There was one brand recalled here what area are you in?

At 7:30 birds are still sleeping by 8:45 Kernal cries and Gretta honked so I went in and opened them up with good mornings. I went to the bathroom and when I came back they were both on a chair in the kitchen preening each other. They had banana, an offering of blackberry and seeds, Gretta ate 2 blackberries .Today was a work day for me scrubbing carpet so Kernal supervised and Gretta danced. The music was on all day thanks to Gretta dancing to Queen and 70's songs so all we did was play and eat today. Oh and along with "help" starting the noise fest today BB was also yelling "hey Kernal help helllo" I had to go out and sit in the yard a few minutes it was so loud and funny. I added a perch in a doorway between the kitch and living room. None of them have gotten on it yet but they noticed it. Gretta came looking for her treat today and got corn tortila instead of pntbtr chip. They had red beans, green & red sweet peppers and tomatoe sauce for lunch Orange juice and almond biscuts for dinner. It's 7:45 now and I'm gonna put them in their room with a snack while I clean the kitchen and watch FB game. By 8:30/8:45 the will be in cage for the night. They have both been trying to nap sitting here with me for the last hour. Deb

#215387 - 01/17/10 06:47 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Deb, the recall does not affect Canada.

Now considering that you have only had K & G since May, I think you are doing wonderful. I think you just need to continue to offer Gretta her very favourite foods (from your hand, leave it flat and not moving)so that she learns hands can be good things. Never push the envelope. The bird must always be allowed free choice.

As long as you always use positive reinforcement, Deb, your relationship with all your birds will only improve.

Bev

#215685 - 01/22/10 04:18 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Okay I think your work here is done until the next dumb moment I have. I am enjoying the flock so much! Gretta has started to steal from me now as I am working in the living room she has started to steal my pads of paper, pens, Kernal stole the remote but it weighed him down when he tried to fly. LMAO. He has also started flying and hoovering over things to check them out. I'll be here lurking. Thanks again. Deb

#216273 - 02/02/10 08:37 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Bev- quick update. Gretta has taken to the furniture being re- arranged quite nicely. The key I have found is as you mentioned getting to know her. I have changed what I can so far. The 2 of them use the back of my sofa as a runway to me. Gretta hardly hesitates to accept food from me and she comes over and doesn't always retreat. I don't care if it is spring behaviour. They tire me out but are acting like the too so many people talk about. THEY ARE ROTTEN! In a good way. Maybe Gretta will be normal yet who knows. They are walking all around the floors. Gosh it's the kind of birds I've only dreamed of. Some may be nightmareish but dream none the less.Deb

#216275 - 02/02/10 09:20 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Anybody can have this kind of relationship with their birds Deb if they take the time to learn about ABA. People will get away with pushing their birds for so long and then bam, they get bitten. If you allow your bird a choice, right out of the gate, about most things in their lives, you set the bird and yourself up to succeed. Patience is a big thing. I can shove my hand into my bird's belly to get her to step up but it's a whole lot better for both of us if she wants to step up because eventually I will get nailed and that is exactly what used to happen with Sally. And I'd like to be able to tell you that I took to ABA like a duck to water but unfortunately I like most people had to be dragged and kicking into it. Once I got it, it was almost magical, but really it just makes sense that it works, nothing magical about it. I was the one who changed not my birds. They were always good birds. I just reinforced unwanted behaviour from them - all over the place. LOL Fortunately, they are very forgiving and as soon as I allowed them choices and gave them rewards, I was getting wanted behaviour all over the place. LOL

Bev

#229172 - 01/13/11 03:53 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Hi There! I have been gone what feels like forever. I am so happy to be here again!! A quickie update, Kernal steps up now with no problem hardly ever resist and when he does he comes around fairly quickly. He & Gretta both respond to being called by name. He will fly to me and she will come running stop in front of me and bow. Gretta will accept food and walk around me, eat out of my hand and come look very closely in my face but doesn't want to be approached by hands so I respect that and when hands need to go near her I look away she calms then. The last several months have been a real learning time. Gretta is getting braver and will come out of her room and visit me with out Kernal. He loves to spin and faint. They are on a schedule now with nap times included and bed early. Life is so much easier. Oh and Gretta has a double wide Macaw cage with all kinds of chewy wood, boxes & stuff. She loves it! Thanks you guys for encouraging patients. This characters are such a pleasure to live with I just can't express it enough (my gratitude for this site and your help). Deb

#229174 - 01/13/11 04:25 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FunnyFarm]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks for the update, and for working to make their lives better!!!

#229176 - 01/13/11 08:07 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Fantastic news! Thanks for thinking of us and checking in. Rock on!

Last edited by EchosMom; 01/13/11 08:12 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny