Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226533 - 10/31/10 02:51 AM WHY ARE WE HERE?  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
We are here to try to convince people that these large Indonesian cockatoos, and most other large parrots, have no place in the typical home setting, that 99% of the general population will never be able to give a satisfactory life to these long lived and very intelligent winged animals, that they can make one’s life miserable trying, and mainly, to stop the breeding and selling of these animals to unsuspecting people for the sake of a lousy dollar. We hope that by doing our little part to reduce the demand for these animals, that the breeder or bird store or seller will find it more difficult and less profitable, to sell these animals into an almost inevitable life of lonesome misery. These are gregarious flock animals and they would never wish for the life that many of them will be subjected to. This is what Mytoos is about and why we exist. This is the message!

This message board, on the other hand, is just a tool to try and help the many ‘Toos that are already out there and to help the people that care for them. We know there is a need for this service because it is a very popular destination for many people that really do understand, or that want peace in their lives. I found Mytoos just this way, grasping for help. This function of the message board is secondary to the message. It is something that is nice but not necessary. It exists because of a core of great members and Moderators that volunteer their services, time and effort to help these birds.

The reason for this clarification today is just to inform people, again, that our passion here is the Cockatoo, not people. Our staff and members have a limited amount of time in the day, they have heard most of the problems a hundred times and it is difficult to for them to wade through egos and people that want instant fixes, people that have no use for vets, people that have allotted no money for care, people that disappear for months and then come back demanding better answers! Life’s too short folks! None of us are ogres here, we just get tired and, honestly, I would rather push the “boot” button on some people and get on with helping the ones that are really serious.

So, if sometimes it appears we, especially me, are short and a bit ill tempered, there is a reason for it. If we are just going to lie back and let people spout garbage, then we would be just like every other bird board out there. We want to help cockatoos! I consider many Mytoos members to be very close friends and kindred souls but my personal goal, every day, is to help some cockatoo live better that day. If you are offended by some person on this board, read this letter, take a deep breath and start again! We really do want to help you and your bird!

#226538 - 10/31/10 03:36 AM Re: WHY ARE WE HERE? [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
My sentiments exactly - thank you for the great post Charlie!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#226539 - 10/31/10 04:12 AM Re: WHY ARE WE HERE? [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I couldn't agree more...Thanks Charlie!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#226557 - 10/31/10 10:34 PM Re: WHY ARE WE HERE? [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Having just deleted a post by a new member, I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that we will not tolerate any member defending a breeder. We at Mytoos believe that the only good breeder, is an ex-breeder.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny