Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226332 - 10/19/10 08:58 PM 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey?  
Musey Offline
Musey  Offline

Virginia
I have seen posts on the board where members have mentioned giving their 'toos' peanut butter as treats. Now Ive given all my birds peanut butter as a treat but in miniscule amounts... as in a tiny bit on the tip of my finger because I worry bout the sugar content. My questions are how much is too much and what about the sugar free and organic varieties, could they be good substitutes?

And what about natural honey? Has anyone used it for treats and if so is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance all you wonderful bird lovers smile

Last edited by Musey; 10/19/10 09:20 PM.
#226337 - 10/19/10 10:10 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: Musey]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Here is a past thread on raw honey.
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post212483
With peanut butter I think it would depend on the birds general health, weight and activity level.
Best to discuss with your vet. I've talked with my vet regarding peanut butter for Cassie. She is constantly under weight and very active. It's a chore to keep her above 300 grams. She gets peanut butter daily in the morning on whole grain organic bread. About a third of a slice of bread folded into a sandwich with a thin coat of regular peanut butter. Organic and unprocessed peanut butter has a higher chance of Aflatoxins which can cause aspergillus in birds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#226338 - 10/19/10 10:10 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: Musey]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Re: peanut butter, there's no hard and fast rule as to how much is too much as it depends on the rest of the bird's diet, their health, the type of peanut butter, etc. But you are right to limit it. These guys are tiny compared to us, so portion sizes need to be adjusted accordingly. You want them to be getting the majority of their nutrition from pellets, vegetables, berries, etc.

We use it sparingly in our house, and usually as rewards for behavior. The less junk in the peanut butter, the better. There are brands whose only ingredient is "peanuts" and you can also make your own nut butters by blending up actual nuts. (Being careful about our birds' health has also made us make healthier choices for ourselves!)

As for honey, I couldn't find anything suggesting it should be avoided while doing a search right now. I do remember reading something years ago recommending not feeding it to parrots for the same reason infants under age 1 shouldn't be fed honey (not sure who the source was on that, so not sure if that's true especially as I couldn't find any corroborating evidence now.)

In my house, we play it safe and do not offer honey to the birds. There are so many things you can offer as treats that have nutritional benefits as well. Sorry I couldn't give a better answer on that -- hopefully someone else will come along who knows for sure!

ETA: Nancy came through again with the honey link smile

Last edited by Beeps; 10/19/10 10:12 PM.
#226347 - 10/20/10 02:07 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: Beeps]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We do offer Ozzy peanut butter on whole wheat, whole grain organic toast daily. I cut the toast into 6 portions and he usually gets two of them. However he also is a very very active bird, and the vet would actually like to see him gain a little more weight. Ozzy is out of cage for 10 to 12 hours a day and flies, swings, dances, and just generally very active all day long. It is rare to see him just sitting for more than a few minutes. He is very large framed and weighs normally 655g. If you arent sure, I would ask your vet about this. Ozzy has a very balanced diet, and has never eaten a great deal of seeds. Adding the peanut butter to his toast daily was approved by our vet due to many other factors in his diet and due to his weight.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#226370 - 10/22/10 05:22 AM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Honey is something I have never tried, and I cant be sure originally if it was because I heard it wasnt good for birds or infants, but I do know if I cant feed it to my infant grandson, I probably wouldnt feed it to my birds. Peanut butter is a different story. I use it as a special treat to get them back in their cages and I usually give a very small amount on whole wheat toast, but then again my birds are very active and tend to weigh in on the lower side of the scale charts

#226391 - 10/23/10 01:23 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: angelinasmom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
"large framed" Deborah :-) That is like me saying I am big boned, right? LOL
I have heard that peanut butter can be dangerous as birds do not have saliva and it can get stuck in their throat??? Was told of a bird dying that way when growing up...
Any truth?

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#226422 - 10/24/10 04:07 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: Rukesmom]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

organic almond butter might be a healthier choice of the nut butters... but I will admit peanut butter is THE treat of choice for my CAG when we're training.. it's about all he will work for and that's the only time he gets it.

#226487 - 10/28/10 05:48 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: Winter's mom]  
precioustoos Offline
precioustoos  Offline

Salina, Kansas
Thanks, Cassie, for the info on peanuts. My local grocery store offers the purchase of bulk shelled peanuts. Then they have a machine there that grinds your peanut butter for you. That way you are sure you don't have ANYTHING in it but peanuts and you don't have peanuts that are bruised or starting to turn color or anything. That's what I've always used to make my birds home-made nutriberries. I guess I'll stop that! I had no idea that fresh ground peanuts could be dangerous!

A bird is like a child to love, nurture, and care for. . . but they never grow up and move away.
#226512 - 10/29/10 03:36 PM Re: 'safe' treats -pnut butter and honey? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Happy Birthday Musey grin

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny