Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226123 - 10/12/10 03:11 AM Fancy sees glasses and bites  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Back in February there was discussion about a bird that reacted to a person wearing glasses. I was smug enough to say that I "just" don't wear my glasses around Fancy and therefore don't get bitten. W-R-O-N-G! I am sporting quite a bite (pic coming for the folder as soon as I find my camera). An ABA topic was started by that caregiver but didn't get far so I have nothing to pull from.

Fancy and I have been clicker training (doing well, she's getting really good at catch/toss, basketball and other games) and I've been using beginner ABA for step-up, transfers, showers, cage-return, etc. We have been getting along swimmingly!

Back to my theory on glasses: Fancy will see me wear my glasses and for the rest of the day will strike out at me or attempt to bite. Her body language is very clear (narrowing of feathers - pinning, slight hissing at me with her crest up). When she first moved in I did not know her body language and was bitten or chased; since then I have been able to avoid her when I know she has seen me w/my glasses on - which doesn't happen often as I'm more cautious about this. I never thought an attack would happen if she only saw the glasses sitting on a table; until today.

I am at a loss and would like help, please, to work this one through.

• How can I help Fancy to allow me to wear my glasses?
  • Her favorite food/treat is sunflower seeds, peas, toast with Peanut Butter, pumpkin seeds.

Do note that hubby can wear the same pair of glasses and she does not react the same way. We thought if she saw him wearing them she would no longer care!

In addition to the above, when I know she has seen me in my glasses, I have spent time sitting next to her (she in her cage) and I talk to her, sing, feed her an a occasional treat. I also do the walk by/drop treat. There has been no change.

Your advice is appreciated.

(Found the original posting...http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226124&#Post226124)

Last edited by Fancy'sMum; 10/12/10 03:17 AM. Reason: added link to post referred to

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

Until you have loved an animal, your soul will stay unawakened
#226125 - 10/12/10 03:28 AM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Right - more (re)reading and I'm going to attempt this:

Antecedent: (Juliana lets Fancy see her with glasses on) (Juliana leaves glasses laying around)
Behaviour: Fancy pins and bites
Consequence: Fancy is locked in cage and Juliana is in pain (neither consequence is acceptable)

Change:
Antecedent: Juliana doesn't wear glasses around Fancy (Juliana puts glasses away)
Behaviour: Fancy acts like a typical too and not an attack bird
Consequence: Fancy spends more time out of cage and Juliana is not in pain (the ultimate goal)

Problem: I need to be able to wear my glasses in the house therefore I need another change. This is where I need help.

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

#226127 - 10/12/10 02:40 PM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome back Juliana! Question for you please. So the reinforcement of Fancy's biting has changed - your husband no longer comes to the rescue (yours or Fancy's)?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#226131 - 10/13/10 02:34 AM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: EchosMom]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Thank you EM.

Since my Aha moment in February my husband does not come to my rescue by picking her up and moving her away nor does he let Fancy on him immediately after she has pinned me.

Previously my husband would pick he up when she charge me; or if she charged and then went bouncing and laughing to him he would pick her up and laugh with her. Now he does talk to her but only tells her NO and Get on the Cage (which she does for him) and then he walks away from her.

This is the first bite in a while, mostly because I did not expect it and wasn't watching for the pinning and charge body language.

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

#226137 - 10/13/10 02:15 PM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Juliana, from what you are describing I do not feel that it is Fancy getting a glimpse of you in your glasses that is the cause of her behavior. Regardless of the words your husband says to Fancy, she is still getting his attention. Also ased on the fact that hubby can wear your glasses w/out issue I suspect it's not really the glasses at all.

Are both you and your husband home with Fancy most of the time?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#226162 - 10/14/10 08:17 PM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: EchosMom]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
EM

Hubby is home during the day but does not spend a lot of time with Fancy - infact she gets very little out of cage time (he says about a hour or so during the day). I'm home at night and she's out from after I've fed the cats until I go to sleep (which is between 4 and 5 hours). During the weekend if I'm in the house she's out and hubby is only home on Sundays.

I strongly beleive the trigger is ME in Glasses as that is the only time she wants to pin and bite me as it happens whether my husband is home or not (I do see your point that even when he just talks to her it is reinforced).

If hubby is home she's all about him! She will sometimes choose to hang out with me but unless we're clicker training will pretty much ignore me. If I'm the only one home she's all about hanging out with me or self play.

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

#226172 - 10/15/10 03:49 AM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You mentioned that if she she's you were your glasses on, even after you take them off, or if you simply put them somewhere (other than on your face) she is coming after you. That is where I don't see the "glasses" coming in.

Behavior is either maintained or increased because it is being reinforced, and the reinforcement is what takes place immediately after the behavior occurs.

Seeing you wearing your glasses would be an antecdent - the circumstances that sets the stage for the behavior to occur, but it is not the reinforcement. And you said in your previous posts that she attacked you because she saw your glasses on the table, nor does she attack your husband if he is wearing your glasses.

Let's take this back a few steps. What are you normally doing when you have your glasses on? What are you normally doing when you don't have your glasses on?

#226233 - 10/17/10 07:16 PM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: EchosMom]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
EM

Based on your question above I thought I'd do an experiment.

AM routine is - sing good morning song and when I hear Fancy respond I remove her sleep cover. Then I change her water and dry food all while talking to her. After I've fed the cats she's let out of the cage and I go into the kitchen to make breakfast.

Saturday - AM routine with glasses. Once I lifted the cage covers her crest when up and she lunged at me while still in her cage. When I let her out she scrambled down the cage and (feathers in tight, head way ahead of her body) charged for me in the kitchen. My husband was home and did get her (I'm still hurting from the bite). For the rest of the day I could not go near her or let her see me or she would lunge and charge. I do all the feeding changes and treats just I would normally.

Sunday - AM routine without glasses. After I let her out she played on her cage and sang for breakfast. She is now in the bedroom with me while I type ripping up paper on the bed and stopping to sing. She's very loving (will ask for kisses and head skritches, sings, tells me she loves me, does the happy birdy beard.

I wear glasses around the house in lieu of contacts and don't do anything different* and I will put on my sunglasses before walking out the door (she reacts to both).

* I think I need to think about my body language with and without glasses.

This is why I came here, for help. I just can't pinpoint the trigger.

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

#226319 - 10/19/10 08:08 AM Re: Fancy sees glasses and bites [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Juliana, if I am reading this correctly, the only day that Fancy was aggressive to you was the day your husband was home??

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny