Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#223260 - 07/11/10 10:25 PM Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Hi,
I'm attempting to reduce the loud shrieking screams of my parrots, when they are left alone.(The D2 has really over bonded to me!) Living in a condo, I do have neighbors on all sides, and the economy is forcing me to secure employment away from home. At times when I am coming home, I can hear my D2 from the street. Luckily, most of my neighbors are working during the day.
Would it be advantageous to leave a radio on or perhaps Bird Sitter DVD (audio only), in a continuous loop playing?
I could ask the neighbors, but I really don't want to.

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#223263 - 07/11/10 11:31 PM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: The Rockster]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Do you usually arrive home at the same time each day? If so, there is a strong possibility that your birds are not calling until their internal clocks (which are very perspective) tells that it's time for you to be arriving home. Have you happened to notice if the times that you hear them, you are arriving a little later than usual? Also, if you are coming home at the same time as your neighbors are, your birds may be hearing them come home and thinking it is you.

I understand why you don't want to ask your neighbors, but it may be in your best interest. In addition to shedding some light on the subject, they will also see that you are concerned if your birds are disturbing them. That can go a long way, IMO!

I work from home, so rarely ever leave. But this past November, I changed jobs and had to go into the office everyday for about 6 weeks. It was a dramatic change for all of us and while I had someone here with them for a portion of the time everyday, they were left alone much more than usual. I don't live in a condo, but I still spoke to each of my neighbors (most of whom work during the day) to let them know what was going on. I asked for their patience and also gave each of them my cell phone number in case the house erupted into total vocal chaos so that I could send one of my family members to the rescue. Everyone was very kind and sympathetic and thanked me for letting them know what was going on. Thankfully the time period went by without incident and my neighbors told me that they didn't hear a peep until it was close to time for me to be getting home.

Even when I leave for short periods, I always leave the TV on for the birds...usually Nickelodeon which they all seem to enjoy.

Good luck to you!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#223268 - 07/12/10 12:49 AM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: EchosMom]  
The Rockster Offline
The Rockster  Offline

South Florida
Hi,
Thanks for the advise. I too have hardly left the house in about 6 years (since we got the byrds.)
However I am planning returning to work. To wit in preparation for this environmental change I have made this inquiry.
In the past leaving the condo for an hour or two, I would leave either the Bird Sitter DVD on or the TV. But my CAG started imitating sounds from the TV.(sirens, explosions, etcs.) Then I started to darken the rooms by closing the windows verticals, turning off the lights (or leaving at the bird's siesta time 3-4:30pm).
Since my condo is overlooking the swimming pool, I used to get occasional complaints of my birds screaming.( My CAG would cry like a cat, and people around the pool would asked me what kind of cats we had.) After I was elected President of the condo, the complaints stopped.
I have since retired from that position, and don't need future aggravation. Actually, we are very quite, and enjoy our privacy, and mainly are recluses. That said, we tolerate a lot of noise pollution from parties around the pool,and boats on the water.
Most of my neighbors have other homes as well,(some in Europe or the West Coast),and are gone for weeks or months at a time. Some I have never met.So meeting them and asking their opinions,is really not an option.

I was hoping for some solid advice as to which method would work better. Either to darken and quite the environment or to provide the birds with entertainment.(Probably neither is ideal for longer periods of time.) Actually, I have read that the Bird Sitter DVD is suppose to address this problem, by creating other bird noises, the object birds can't vocalize and mentally process the bird noise at the same time. However, that could just be a marketing gimmick.
With three cats and various fish tanks, I would think all the animals would have lots to watch.

I will ask my avian vet as well as my friends their opinions.
thanks again.

Regards,
The Rockster
D2 & CAG
#223276 - 07/12/10 03:47 AM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: The Rockster]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: The Rockster
Either to darken and quite the environment or to provide the birds with entertainment.

So you are proposing to turn daytime into nighttime?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#223281 - 07/12/10 04:56 AM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: EchosMom]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
I found that Bogie wasn't crazy about that DVD, and believe me, at least this particular cockatoo has no trouble vocalizing while hearing other bird voices. Bogie has always been pretty good about being left alone, though my schedule and that of my spouse, allow someone to be around alot of the time. Four hours is generally the limit w/o someone else in the house. I have found that providing him with alot of toys, having a radio on and tuned to his favorite station, and reinforcing the fact that I'll be back (as EM stated, they have an acute sense of time and its passage)all work to keep him happy while we are away.
Bogie and I are also pretty tightly bonded. When my truck pulls into the driveway, he will start a series of calls. That does not happen when other vehicles arrive home. Once in the house, I make a point, once I've gotten him out of his cage,to reinforce the fact that I came back as promised. While it may sound a bit odd, we go through the "I'll be back;I'm back" ritual each time I go and return. I believe that it calms and reassures him during my absence. At least none of the neighbors have mentioned a problem, and I've asked. :-)

#223284 - 07/12/10 05:40 AM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: The Rockster]  
winnies mom1 Offline
winnies mom1  Offline

ypsilanti, michigan
I will leave on the TV for the U2&G2, either soft music or children programs (you never know they might learn something). I believe that it distracts from outside noise and gives them something familiar and safe for them to listen to . Good Luck. Marie

Last edited by winnies mom1; 07/12/10 05:41 AM.

You gotta love the baby
Winnie's mom
#223286 - 07/12/10 05:56 AM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: winnies mom1]  
pineview01 Offline
pineview01  Offline

MI
I worked 12 hour days when I worked. I always left the radio on for them. As satated above, I found they didn't start the noise until the time for me to get home.

My flock: Stewy-Tiel, Sky-B&G, Newton, Ping & Pong-OWA's,Don Juan-YNA, Cody & Rocky-U2's, Merlin-M2
#223298 - 07/12/10 04:13 PM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: pineview01]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

We leave an ipod going for them during the day, as we didn't want anyone picking up the irritating advertisements on the regular radio. We don't have it too loud, though, in case anyone wants to nap.

Echoing what everyone else said, our guys are quiet once everyone leaves (after 1-5 minutes of noise) and they pick up making noise when my husband or I are about a minute from coming home.

We also thought they were loud all day long, as they were when we got home, but they just tricked us into thinking so as they were loud when we left and when we came home.

#223318 - 07/13/10 03:34 AM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: Beeps]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
I always leave music on when I work...and sometimes a children's TV program. Seems to help. Foraging toys are awesome! I wouldn't change the lighting...that might mess the birds up.

Gail
#224231 - 08/08/10 04:50 PM Re: Leaving Audio Devices Playing When Gone [Re: Bird Mom]  
jesslm Offline
jesslm  Offline

We leave a radio tuned to the local rock station on while we're at work. Bubba doesn't really pick up speech much, although we do occasionally notice he'll start mimicking some of the phrases and noises of overplayed commercials. He stops as soon as the commercials stop being played as much. He does still wail for a few minutes when my boyfriend leaves the house (he leaves about three hours after I do), but it stops quickly and by then most of the neighborhood is up and at work anyway.

We did warn our neighbors when we first got Bubba that there might be some screaming. We live in a single-family home, but our neighbors are still close, and since there are small children on either side, we wanted to avoid freaking anyone out. They appreciate knowing that on the rare occasion they do hear screaming, they shouldn't panic.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny