Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
#222285 - 06/18/10 12:23 AM Re: OPHELIA [Re: GregM]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
The most critical part of a caregiver using ABA to modify/change/reduce a behaviour is in using a primary reinforcer until secondary reinforcers kick in to become primary reinforcers. Food is critical. When did you hold back any of O's favourite foods or did I miss that? You had lots of foods that we could have used yet you never did that. Why?

Greg, why don't you contact Dr. Stewart Metz and ask him about alpha birds if you don't believe me. It's a crock. Vets are just now starting to learn about ABA but it's new when it comes to parrots. It will take a while. Humans don't let go of things that easy as you well know.

We did have some success, Greg but you needed to change your behaviour and for whatever reason, you could not do that. I am fully aware of how difficult this is for humans who are punishers by nature. Temple Grandin writes about it in her book Animals make us Human. Very interesting book, I find it fascinating that she has the same problems with teaching stockpeople how to be gentle with cows and pigs.

See what happens to people who push elephants around. They get stomped to death. Birds bite.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#222325 - 06/18/10 07:19 PM Re: OPHELIA [Re: ZazuSally]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: ZazuSally
I am fully aware of how difficult this is for humans who are punishers by nature. Temple Grandin writes about it in her book Animals make us Human. Very interesting book, I find it fascinating that she has the same problems with teaching stockpeople how to be gentle with cows and pigs.

See what happens to people who push elephants around. They get stomped to death. Birds bite.

Bev

My Grandfather was a farmer, and fully believed in treating his work animals, with the utmost respect and love. Other folks who had unruly animals and were ready to get rid of them (ie destroy them), would ask my Grandfather if he wanted them. He would take them and treat them with the respect and love they deserved, and he would tame then into gentle creatures. Oh it took him a great deal of time and patience, but he became known as somewhat of an animal whisperer (there just wasnt a title like that back then) in that area.

Food treats were critical to earn the animals trust in the beginning. Grandpa always carried a pocket full of carrots wherever he went lol.

I remember my Grandfather saying many times, these creatures are here to help us. How we treat them, is how they will treat us. He was a simple man, who fully understood ABA before it was ever thought of.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#222358 - 06/19/10 04:18 PM Re: OPHELIA [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: FeatheredAngels
He was a simple man, who fully understood ABA before it was ever thought of.

Simple in one way, and yet sophisticated in another...that is a telling tribute to him...

Bev, for all you have done for O and I...this ones for you...

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/GregM06/?action=view&current=MVI_1523.mp4

Last edited by GregM; 06/19/10 11:18 PM.
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny