Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220150 - 05/04/10 01:56 AM Australian Galah Scratching  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

Hi all,

For those of you that remember, I was on her several months ago debating as to whether a too would be safe with my family.

As it turns out, we have inherited a young australian galah, and couldn't be happier. She came from an old man who went into a nursing home - his family thought a baby galah would make an excellent friend for an eighty something man...not so much!

So we now have Bob Dylan at our house, and we think she is around six months old. She has been loved and is very affectionate. She shouts in the morning until I open her cage (She's inside) and then she sits happily ontop and chats to the kids, watches TV, shouts to see where I am in the house etc.

My question is that she spends alotof time, hours a day, scratching her feathers all over herself. Not picking them out, but itching them all over. I'm not sure if that is normal, or if she has an allergy or mites or....??

Any help would be appreciated. We are a new too family, but very willing to learn. smile

#220151 - 05/04/10 02:09 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Have you been giving her mistings with a spray bottle to help her bath?

Is there a chance she could have mites?

Can you tell if she is having allot of new feather growth?

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#220152 - 05/04/10 02:13 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: Janny]  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

I don't know if she is making new feathers...I have not given her a bath yet, as she is only new to us in the last week. I will do so today, how often is it normal to mist bath her?

She could have mites, she came from a house (After the old man's house) with many cockies in it, all mixing together..

So in answer to the question - it's NOT normal to be scratching so much and I need to be finding the problem?

Thanks!

#220160 - 05/04/10 02:53 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well they will overly scratch when new feathers are coming in because it is very irritating to them. So try blowing her feathers...maybe do this when she is in her cage so you don't get bit. See if on her belly area there are new ones poking out.It will look like little white pokie things.If you are able to handle her you will feel them on her as well. If she lets you preen her head and there is allot there then likely they are coming in all over.I know in my home...all of my cockatoos are shooting out new feathers everywhere right now and I am a preening machine.The daily mists at this time of year are nice as it relieves the itches a bit.

I would not suggest you do any mite treatments unless you see a Avian vet with her though.Make sure that is the problem first. They will then treat her for the mites.But they know how to be sure that is the problem too.

Jan

#220174 - 05/04/10 06:18 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: Janny]  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

That's really helpful information, I appreciate it. I assume the being young and coming into Winter that she will be making a pile of new feathers. We can certainly handle her, it's difficult to STOP petting her, she keeps rubbing herself on our hands for scratches. smile

I'll get her 'dad' to give her a bath tonight, and nightly. As she is officially 'his' Too, he will enjoy doing that with her.

#220175 - 05/04/10 07:15 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Scratching or not, it's very important that you have your bird seen by a qualified avian vet for a complete, new bird exam/workup.

Welcome to Mytoos and congratulations on your new addition.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#220176 - 05/04/10 07:30 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
One more thing...

I would bath her early in the day because you don't want her wet when she goes down for the night.I tend to bath my guys in late morning.Even if you think she is dry in the evening she may still have a bit of chill or dampness under in her down so just be careful of that.

Has she been seen by an avian vet?

Jan

#220178 - 05/04/10 08:06 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: Janny]  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

I dont think so. The people that took her from the old man were very sweet, but I dont think theyd taken her to the vet.

I will have to find an avian vet in my area!

Thanks!

#220185 - 05/04/10 06:07 PM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
It's a very good idea. Even if she isn't sick it will give them a good baseline to what her normal levels are so they have something to compare to if she was to have a change in the future. Sometimes what can be normal for one isn't for another. if they ride on the low end of normal for say Uric Acids and then just to the high end of normal that can mean something is starting and can stop before it becomes a big issue etc.They also hide illness very well and while you may think you are looking at a healthy cockatoo it may not be inside. This is a natural response as they are prey animals.

Let us know how you make out.

Jan

#220196 - 05/04/10 11:34 PM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: Janny]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
There are several people including me with Galahs or RB2s. Do some searches on this board to find good information specifically about your bird and generally about other situations that apply to all the birds. We all learn a lot from each other.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#220223 - 05/05/10 02:52 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: RB2sMom]  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

Thanks Susanne and Jan. smile

I have been searching and reading my tail off, there is alot of great advice already on here. For things that need a little urgent attention, I've put a post up as well, sorry if I'm being an annoying newbie. LOL

Well whaddya know... there is an avian vet a few km from me, and he offers a free new bird check up. We will head over on Monday. Pleasantly suprised!

Last edited by Janny; 05/05/10 03:09 AM. Reason: combined double post
#220232 - 05/05/10 04:51 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: newbie76
Well whaddya know... there is an avian vet a few km from me, and he offers a free new bird check up. We will head over on Monday.

Good deal (all the way around!). Let us know what the vet has to say, please.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#220531 - 05/11/10 02:24 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: EchosMom]  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

Hello!

Ok the vet said a few interesting things... firstly, that Bob is a young man, not a young lady. So at least the name fits a bit better now!!

Also that HIS grey feathers on his crest are not age related - we were told that it meant he was a baby still - he saw one 100 year old the other day with the same. But he agrees Bob is a few months old.

And lastly, he doesn't have mites or any other issues, other than being a bit underweight. His scratching is because its moulting and making new feather time over here.

So there you go. A quick worming, and off we come home.

Very suprised how fast he is coming out of his shell with the dogs...we have two large dogs who are very boisterous. After one week he now runs at them and tries to bite them. He spent a good few minutes trying to attack the larger one last night, who just raised an eyebrow every now and then, not bothered in the slightest. The dogs love everyone, so we will see how long the attacking goes on for. smile

#220533 - 05/11/10 02:28 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Quote:
Very suprised how fast he is coming out of his shell with the dogs...we have two large dogs who are very boisterous. After one week he now runs at them and tries to bite them. He spent a good few minutes trying to attack the larger one last night, who just raised an eyebrow every now and then, not bothered in the slightest. The dogs love everyone, so we will see how long the attacking goes on for. smile

While I am very happy to hear the vet visit went well....

You must not allow this to continue!!! One snap from one of those dogs and your new member could die.I keep my SMALL dogs away from my birds and they are very well behaved and take allot of guff from anyone or anything but I still don't trust what natural instincts these dogs have when feeling threatened or invaded. A cockatoo bite hurts and I have a hard time taking one easily...a dog would only be acting on instinct with a snap at that kind of pain.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=212792&page=1

I know the link is to a stranger walking a dog but this is how serious a bite can be.Please read and look at the pictures.

Jan

#220543 - 05/11/10 03:26 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: Janny]  
newbie76 Offline
newbie76  Offline

Hmmm. Interesting thoughts. I have never thought of it that way, as we have always had family dogs around the family cockies with no issues.

I do get a bit blase with my two, as they will tolerate ANYTHING. And I mean ANYTHING without snapping. However I guess he needs to learn that dogs are not friendly should he meet another one.

frown

#220544 - 05/11/10 03:47 AM Re: Australian Galah Scratching [Re: newbie76]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I'm glad you're going to be more cautious. One just never knows when a certain chain of events may take place that causes one of our companions to react in a way that is totally out of character for them. Mammals and birds just aren't a good combination. I have 3 small dogs and a cat in addition to my birds. All know that they others are off limits, but I still I still monitor them closely.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny