Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#219055 - 04/07/10 03:21 AM 800 birds found in New Jersey home  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#219060 - 04/07/10 04:28 AM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: EchosMom]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
good heavens

#219064 - 04/07/10 02:17 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Jacque]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
So she had 800 birds that somebody dumped. I wish I could say unbelievable but it's all too frequent these days.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#219067 - 04/07/10 07:46 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: ZazuSally]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Having dealt with obsessive disorders (at work) which hoarding is one of them...it doesn't necessarily mean that all 800 birds were dumped on her. They over time likely multiplied in her home and she was likely totally not aware it was even happening or that it is a problem.

We had one lady who hoarded cats and there were well over 300 cats in her home before it even became noticed by any neighbors etc.Even if people know about the problem they allot of times will not say or do anything about it.Most people just don't want to get involved. They are very secretive people and do not broadcast what they have so until it is very obvious and the place in near condemning it can go on a very long time.Meanwhile they breed,inbreed and die in that home.

While I am not condoning what she was doing I can also see the illness she had and feel for her emotionally as well as with the birds that were suffering.But this did not happen over night. It took many years to get to that point.In her mind she was helping them and she was the only one who loved them the way she did is what they really believe. They don't think those birds would survive without them and to part with even one of them would be like cutting off an arm.

It is a sad case for all involved and I hope this women gets the mental help she needs as well as the vet care those birds need and good homes now.

If you google "animal hoarding" it might make it a little more clear.

Last edited by Janny; 04/07/10 08:15 PM.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#219088 - 04/08/10 05:51 AM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Honestly, I don't think that Bev's comment was meant to imply that the woman doesn't have a mental illness. I'm pretty confident that most of us that have been around for awhile have a good idea of what hoarding is. I'm also pretty confident that a fairly good ratio of those birds were dumped by someone previously. The majority of captive birds are, eventually.

I know I've posted this before, but for those that aren't familiar with the mental illness here is a very good and indepth (lengthly) article on the subject that's always worth re-posting from time to time.

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/pubs/AngellReport.pdf

Many people play arm chair psychologist and throw around the term hoarding when they think that someone has too many birds (according to their own standards), and it's much more complicated than that. It isn't just about numbers, it's about the quality of care provided. Many people also use the words "collector" and "hoarder" interchangebly, but actually there is a distinct difference. While I understand that someone with this illness deserves our pity, I find it difficult to have much compassion because it is the animals that suffer by living in awful conditions, and sadly (as in this case) it results in the loss of precious and innocent lives. And sadly again, death is probably a welcomed escape.

Last edited by EchosMom; 04/08/10 06:08 AM.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#219096 - 04/08/10 02:24 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: EchosMom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I hate to say it but I can not forgive the horrid cruelty as "mental illness"...
I never find a human murderer less guilty because they are metnally ill and I certainly do not with a bird murderer. A gun shot is less painful and a faster way to go than starving and living in caged filth.
Those poor little feathered angels. I pray that their suffering is over and that the court punishes the offender and NEVER allows her to care for another defensless being again (feathered, furred, or other)....
Sorry if some of you disagree but she made choices, the birds did not.
Tania

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#219097 - 04/08/10 03:01 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Rukesmom]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
While I agree with you completely about this particular individual I would add that society as a whole bears some responsibility for there being so many of these abandoned birds to begin with. I so often feel like I am not doing enough about this.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#219099 - 04/08/10 03:53 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: JBryan]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: JBryan
I would add that society as a whole bears some responsibility for there being so many of these abandoned birds to begin with. I so often feel like I am not doing enough about this.

Agreed!!! Very well said.

#219103 - 04/08/10 06:10 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Just to explain...I work in a psychiatric Hospital and see the worst.I have seen how mentally ill juveniles have killed a parent with the delusion that they are the anti-Christ and once medicated properly become so remorseful they try to take their own life or when they think of hurting another human they beg to be put into restraints so that it will not happen again.This certain client was only 14 years old when he killed his mother and still lives in our facility in his 60's. He functions well and holds a job in the community but is too scared to have his own place to live for fear he will hurt again.

These people in their defense have no control over what they do. It is sad that society can cast such harsh judgment on them. This could happen to any one of your family members before you know it.And I think if it did touch you closer to home your feelings about it all could change very quickly. I can see the hurt and the realization of what these people have done after treatment and it is emotional to them and the people treating them.

I am not trying to convince any of you to feel any compassion for this person or any other but....I will say in the event that someone in your own family or a close friend ever became overcome with mental illness I would hope you would show them more compassion as they need support from those that they are close too.

Don't get me wrong I feel sick that any animal has to suffer at the hands of a hoarding situation.But the trouble is that she needed help...mental help and it could have played out differently.Unfortunately it gets way out of control and this is the result.

Jan

#219155 - 04/09/10 01:04 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Janny]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I know this is a bit off topic, but I see a big difference between a delusion lasting a brief time leading to a horrific death and MANY years of cruelty and neglect ongoing, walking around their starving, desperate, little caged bodies day after day... I worked in the field for 17+years ( will never go back) but as sad as some situations are, there is never an excuse for cruelty to a defensless being. if it were a child, would we be having the same discussion?
And yes, I agree that scoiety as a whole bears tremendous burden of responsibility for pet overpopulation!!! Unfortunatley, it is a small few of us who feel it. As we are all painfully aware, these poor birds are like posessions; she is a hoarder ( is it birds, or boxes, or trash; as if there is no difference... If it were kids, the news would be about her criminal trial).
I know we all love birds but our society is much to easy on criminals and that is what this is; a horrible crime!

#219164 - 04/09/10 04:41 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: JBryan]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: JBryan
I so often feel like I am not doing enough about this.

+1...I do not tink that this crime should be characterized as hoarding...you dont hoard living things...we all knew a "cat lady" growing up but cats are more self reliant and most "cat lady" had them coming and going and all over thier property...they were not captive and dependent, like birds...those poor, poor birds...

How in the world will they find homes for them all the "healthy" ones...

#219166 - 04/09/10 06:51 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: GregM]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Originally Posted By: GregM
I do not tink that this crime should be characterized as hoarding...you dont hoard living things...

I hate to be the one to break it to you but if you do any research on the subject you would find a different answer!

Last edited by Janny; 04/09/10 06:57 PM.

Jan

#219176 - 04/10/10 04:38 AM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Janny]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Strange that she had her 97 year old father living there. Wonder if he had a clue what was going on...

Gail
#219178 - 04/10/10 05:35 AM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Bird Mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Likely not and even if he did likely couldn't do much about it. frown

Jan

#219214 - 04/11/10 03:36 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Janny]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Again, the "why" does not matter when it come to this type of cruelty, murder and abuse. It should be all about the victims, which in this case, are sweet, innocent, caged, and feathered....
Does anyone know the status of the survivors that were rescued from that h*ll hole???

#219218 - 04/11/10 05:42 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Rukesmom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I found this update....

http://www.bellevillenavigator.com/profiles/blogs/surviving-birds-need-care

I have to agree, the why doesn't matter and it is, or should be all about the innocent victims. Same with pedophile's and serial killers - sure they have a mental illness, but they still deserve to be punished.

#219222 - 04/11/10 07:53 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: EchosMom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Oh god~ the poor souls. If I won the powerball, the ways I could help... I will look up that humane society and at least send something!
Thanks EM...

Last edited by Rukesmom; 04/11/10 07:54 PM.

#219223 - 04/11/10 08:17 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Rukesmom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Here is the local Humane Societies reaching out for help page for these particular birds.

http://www.ahscares.org/showarchive.asp?id=646

A little bit of help from alot of us can help in a big way.

Last edited by EchosMom; 04/11/10 09:01 PM.

#219226 - 04/11/10 09:37 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I know they have a programmed way to get donations. In most cases, that requires joining the organization. I really think that rescues finding themselves in this kind of situation would do well to waive the membership and post up a "quick and easy" way to donate through PayPal. There are so many individuals that want to help, including me, but don't want to join another organization and have our in-box full of newsletters. It seems like it would be easier and much more effective because people really do want to help, they are just tired of giving out their information to every organization.

#219227 - 04/11/10 09:52 PM Re: 800 birds found in New Jersey home [Re: Charlie]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
I agree Charlie. I would have made a PayPal donation right away.

I just called them and they recommended I call head office tomorrow and see if they can set up a PayPal account for these birds. I don't see why that should be a problem. So I'll call tomorrow and see what they can do.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny