Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215340 - 01/16/10 01:20 PM Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives
Ofafeather Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY USA
Hi, all. Now that our M2 Sammy is past her difficult time trying to lay an egg, we are looking into prevention for the future. We have a few issues which may stimulate reproductive behavior, the removal of some would severely effect her quality of life. Here are some points:

1) Sammy is in her mid 20's. She is a rescue, as is our male M2, Mango. We had Mango for a few years before Sammy. Everyone who had Sammy prior to us thought that she was a boy. Within a short time of us taking over her care we began to suspect that he was a she due to her behavior. She had no physical contact with the male (he thinks of her as the "family pet") but we think that his presence stimulated her mating behavior. Our instincts were confirmed when she laid her first egg on Christmas day, three years ago. She laid one the following February, then the following Christmas, then missed Christmas by a couple of weeks this year, laying in January. This last one was really hard on her. It was a big egg that it took her almost a week to pass. Mango and Sammy share the same room and we really don't have another suitable location for them. They keep each other company and complain when one or the other isn't around (as much as Mango hates to admit it, he misses her!)

2) Sammy loves to shred things year-round. It his her greatest joy. All paper bags and cardboard boxes that enter the house she considers hers. We don't leave shredded items in the cage for her to use as nesting material but we do provide lots of objects for shredding. Since this is one of the things that she loves most, should we take that away from her?

3) Sammy has pellets, but eats a lot of organic fresh fruits and veggies daily, which she prefers over any bird food.

4) Why Winter?!? We put them to bed early and they get significantly less light than they would in Spring or Summer.

5) We will try moving their cages around, and rearranging their interiors, too, during the "season".

6) The vet said that Lupron should help. He would give 3 injections, 2 weeks apart. That sounds different from other people's experiences. He also warns that long term use has potential side effects such as liver problems and uteran cancer.

How do we balance quality of life with potential complications? Should we remove or minimize the things that she enjoys so much which may stimulate an egg? Which is more dangerous, the Egg or long term Lupron use. Any other thoughts and factors that we're missing? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

#215346 - 01/16/10 01:38 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Florida, USA
I will do my best to chime in here.

1) Yes, your male can in fact be stimulating Sammy's breeding behaviors. Would it be possible in peak season to temporarily relocate one of them (to another room)?

2) Shredding helps to burn off unspent energy. Boxes can be especially problematic because if they go inside, it's a dark, enclosed space, resembling their natural nesting environment in a hollowed out tree. Cutting the boxes into pieces would help and all shredding materials should be promptly removed to prevent nest building behavior.

3) Warm, mushy foods seem to be the ones that trigger breeding behaviors the most and should be eliminated during peak season.

4) As cited in the one article I posted, their natural breeding season is Labor Day through Memorial Day. In Indonesia, there are two discernible seasons; the dry season (June to October) and the rainy (breeding) season (November to March).

5) Changing things up can help.

6) Your AV is following standard protocol for a series of Lupron - 3 injections, 2 weeks apart. That works for most birds. I would be very interested in reading the documented evidence that the long term use of Lupron has been associated with liver problems and uterine cancer. I have been informed by 2 board certified AV's, there are no known long term side effects with avians, except that with prolonged use, it may eventually stop working. I am not saying that there aren't any long term side effects - avian medicine is still in it's infancy, but to the best of my knowledge, none are known nor have any been documented.

The best you can do is to minimize all the triggers that you can and remember that the season will eventually pass. In the absence of documented evidence of serious side effects of Lupron, it seems safer than risking egg binding. Again, I would be very interested in reading anything that your AV can provide that documents the side effects of the use of Lupron in avians.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Project Perry, Inc., The Central Virginia Parrot Sanctuary
Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

#215401 - 01/17/10 11:37 AM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

Thanks, EM. Those are all good points. As far as documentation for side effects, I haven't seen anything from what I have read (mostly in what has been posted here) and I'm not exactly sure where the information comes from. One of the avian vet techs told us this. She also mentioned HCG as an alternative, which she said has no known side effects but is not as effective. We'll be talking to the vet later in the week and will try to get some more details at the Lupron side-effects. We'll see what else we can do to minimize it. Thanks again.

#215402 - 01/17/10 11:47 AM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Dr. Mike discussed Lupron and HCH in this thread:

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...rue#Post122499.

I'm curious to see what your AV has to say about the side effects of either.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#215432 - 01/17/10 05:43 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Lilburn, GA
I would try all the preventative things first, then try the Lupron if it does not work. We have made a lot of the changes suggested for our RB2s which appear to be working. Hannah has not laid an egg yet (knock on wood).

#215436 - 01/17/10 09:14 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: RB2sMom]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

I've said this before. Lupron is a tool, not a cure.

#215459 - 01/18/10 11:59 AM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

EM, thanks for the link. Are the Dr. Mike threads still active? I would like to get more info on HCG, too. Just spoke with the vet tech and she said that doc now recommends HCG because it is safer!?! I asked if I could speak to the doc and she asked if there is something she could relay to him. I explained that in my research there were no known avian side effects for Lupron and I since he had some information on negative side effects I would like to be able to access that info. She said he has never used Lupron, but has used HGC. The info on Lupron was taken out of the information packet on the drug. I am wondering if the information that is there is based on projected side effects, especially since Lupron is not marketed or clinically tested for animals by the manufacturer. I think they might be basing their info on the effect of prolonged hormone therapy in humans. She said she would send me a copy of the info sheet. What are your feelings on this? Anyone have any experience with HCG? Dr. Mike's thread was really good but I wish there were more detail on HCG. One aspect that he mentioned was the cost factor of Lupron and HCG. I guess HCG is less expensive. What are people paying per dose for Lupron these days? We are going to continue the behavior mods and research the hormone injections more.

#215460 - 01/18/10 12:14 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
Ofafeather Offline

Okay, they are sending info on both Lurpon and HCG. The office called me back and said that after doing more research he would recommend Lupron!?! My goodness. I now normally you would do it near the beginning of the season but he is recommending doing it now to prevent another egg from forming? Thoughts?

#215462 - 01/18/10 12:25 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

The "Ask A Vet" forum is read-only.

I have never discussed HCG with my avian vet but at the next opportunity I will. The cost of an injection for my M2 is right around $75 a year ago, which was the last time she had an injection. It is an expensive drug. I tend to agree with you that it sounds as if the VT is quoting side effects that are known in humans and from what I have researched and from what my AV has told me, the side effects assciated in humans are not recognized or documented in avians.

I do have to interject something here. A good avian vet is accessible to their clients for questions and concerns - it doesn't sound like that is happening for you. No offense to the VT, but she's just that - a technician. Perhaps you should make an appointment to see the vet and discuss all of this first-hand with him. Afterall, YOU are the client.

Edited by EchosMom (01/18/10 12:37 PM)
Edit Reason: checked my invoice for cost and changed

#215463 - 01/18/10 12:41 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

Thanks for your input. I agree with you in regard to the Vet and VT. I am a bit frustrated about this. I don't think that my messages and concerns are being passed on to him accurately. I have asked for him to call me back a few times and the VTs keep calling to address my concerns. I don't expect him to take my call while he busy with other appointments but I have asked to have him call me back when he is able. He was great and accessible when needed during the crisis. I will wait for the info to arrive then I will contact them. I would even set up a phone appointment for consultation, if he would do that, especially since it's not around the corner. Sigh.

#215464 - 01/18/10 12:46 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Oops, just read your update. Yes, it is also standard protocol to begin Lupron injections after an egg is laid - to prevent another. That is what Miss Yum-Yum is doing now with her Isabella.

My instructions are to begin Lupron as soon as I see Echo becoming hormonal. It is important to remember that she has been eggbound so my AV wants to take no chances of her producing more eggs. After using Lupron as a tool while I changed things in her environment, identified and eliminated or at least reduced the triggers, it hasn't been necessary. She is going through a hormonal season now, but she is not nesty so I haven't given her an injection. She is for the first time in her life destroying some feathers though. Minor, but she's still chewing. If she doesn't stop in the next week or two, of if the behavior increases, I plan on giving her an injection (or series if she needs it) and see if that resolves things.

Interesting that your AV switched gears on which drug he prefers. I wonder if the VT was wrong, or if your asking questions made the vet do more research?

#215470 - 01/18/10 04:15 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

Well, just got pricing info for Lupron and HCG. Lupron priced out at $1500 for a 3mg vial! This would cover one 2.1 mg injection. The HCG they found for $200, which would cover a series of four injections given on days 1-3-7-14. So, here are some question:

What's kind of dosages of Lupron are being given?
Where do other people get Lupron from that the price is low enough that it can even be considered? The vet says that it is only offered (to them) through the one distributor, and that there is no vet. distributor for it.

Since Sammy was not actually egg bound, we may try to just deal with it through the mods. She certainly doesn't need the stress of a series of four shots for HCG (that might not even be effective) and we can't handle Lupron and $1500 a shot.

Anyone have a vet that uses Lupron regularly? If so, please provide a contact number that I can pass on to my vet. It we be good to find out how they swing it and also might give the vet a chance to find out about practical dosages, etc. for Sammy's situation.

#215471 - 01/18/10 04:36 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Your bird is going to be dosed in ML's, not MG's. Milligram is a weight or mass. Milliliter is a volume.

#215472 - 01/18/10 04:41 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

That's what I figured. Of course, the VT said mg and I confirmed mg with her. I wonder how many ml doses are contained in a 3mg vial-or is she totally off and the vial is in ml too?

#215473 - 01/18/10 04:42 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

You need to be talking to the vet, not the tech.

#215474 - 01/18/10 04:45 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
Ofafeather Offline

In looking it up, I see that human dosages are listed as mg. I think we need more info from an vet experienced with using Lupron.

#215475 - 01/18/10 04:51 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Originally Posted By: Ofafeather
I think we need more info from an vet experienced with using Lupron.

I agree! I am a far cry from an avian vet and am not comfortable in recommending any dosages. If this is the kind of information you are getting from your vet's office, I'd be looking for another vet.

ETA: You cannot convert MG's to ML's without knowing the density. Human tablets come in MG's... ML's represent liquid dosage.

Edited by EchosMom (01/18/10 04:54 PM)

#215476 - 01/18/10 04:58 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

I agree but the techs keep calling! I haven't called them since last week. Three different VTs called 4 times today! I asked to speak with the doctor twice today and was told that they would pass the message along. I don't think the vet has the detailed info needed about Lupron usage. I believe he's working on getting it but I would like to have my own info from other people with experience to see how it compares with the information that he will come up with. I will spend a day or so collected data, see what the drug info they are going to send says, see how many other VTs call with information (conflicting or otherwise), THEN call and make an appointment, hopefully for a phone consultation.

#215478 - 01/18/10 05:05 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

Originally Posted By: EchosMom

ETA: You cannot convert MG's to ML's without knowing the density. Human tablets come in MG's... ML's represent liquid dosage.

I understand. I wonder how the vet's figure it out because looking at the dosage info online, http://www.drugs.com/cons/lupron.html they have it listed by solid content, even the liquid forms, All the dosage is listed in MGs. We will call around to some other vets in the area to see if anyone else uses Lupron. I can understand that you don't want to recommend dosages but it's good to know how other birds are being treated, so thanks for sharing the info about Echo's last dose.

Edited by Ofafeather (01/18/10 05:06 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#215479 - 01/18/10 05:08 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

As I said, 1 dose for my M2 is about $75. If you feel that you are having to go behind your vet to make sure the information you are being given is accurate, it's time to find another vet. And I say that is in kindest of ways.

A good vet is one that may not always have all information on total recall, but has the ability to obtain that information and properly relay it to the client.

It sounds like this vet isn't a board certified avian vet. Board certification does not always make a vet good, nor does not having certification make one a bad vet. But passing out bad information, either directly or through one of their staff is scary.

#215480 - 01/18/10 05:26 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

Looking into it further I don't think that he is a board certified avian vet. A 2004 list shows 7 in NY state. As you say, board certification doesn't make or break a vet but shows a certain level of avian study. I think we need to be with someone who handles this more often.

#215481 - 01/18/10 05:34 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

There are presently 14 board certified AV's in NY State:

http://www.abvp.com/find_results.aspx?ci...p;Submit=Submit

#215482 - 01/18/10 05:36 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Ofafeather Offline

Thanks. I couldn't find it on their before (wasn't looking in the right spot) site but came across a list from 2004 from an older site.

BTW, thanks for all of your help and input.

Edited by Ofafeather (01/18/10 05:49 PM)

#215505 - 01/18/10 08:47 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Ofafeather]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

You are more than welcome for any help given. I know finding good veterinary care for our birds can be frustrating sometimes. I'm fortunate to have one of the very best in the country not too far away.

Please keep us posted, and of course we'll keep you and Sammy in our thoughts and prayers. Please stay in touch and keep us updated.

#215506 - 01/18/10 08:49 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Parrish, FL
EM-

I really do like my Vet, but who are you using? You are in the Tampa area, correct?

Thanks!

#215509 - 01/18/10 09:06 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Lucy's Mom]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Dr. Joel Murphy, The Animal and Bird Medical Center. He's located in Palm Harbor.

#215548 - 01/19/10 11:08 AM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Ofafeather. I have been out of town the last four days and am just now getting caught up on MyToos posts. I pay my vet an office visit ($48) plus the cost of the Lupron shot ($30), which works out to $78 per shot. Each shot is 0.1 ml in dose and Isabella weighs about 500 grams. The dose may need to be more depending on the weight of Sammy, but I kind of doubt it. Isabella has had two of the three shots my vet recommends since she laid her egg on Christmas Day. The first shot was given on 12/26, the second shot was given two weeks later, and the third shot will be given a month after the 2nd shot. That's how he spaces them out. This is the fourth series of Lupron shots that my U2 girl has been given since she began laying eggs at the age of 8 (she's almost 12 now).

You should not be charged for the entire vial of Lupron - that is ridiculous! It sounds like your vet and/or his techs have no experience with this drug. I agree with EM - you should look for another AV who is familiar with this drug and how to administer it. I do believe this drug is a very useful tool. I tried to alter Isabella's environment this year in an effort to prevent her laying an egg this winter "season," but apparently I was unsuccessful. Once the first egg was laid on Christmas Day and the shell was abnormally rough, we decided to begin the Lupron series to prevent another egg from forming and that has been the case - so far, no more eggs! In fact, the Lupron injections each year for the past three years have prevented any more eggs being laid. Like Lucy's Mom, I have made a number of changes to Isabella's environment that help decrease nestiness throughout the year.

Please keep us posted! I do feel it would be wise to use Lupron on Sammy to prevent another egg this year because she had such difficulty passing this one. You can work on her environmental triggers starting now, but I think it is imperative to prevent another egg this season if at all possible!

Take care,

Annette

Edited by MissYumYum (01/19/10 11:13 AM)
Edit Reason: more info

#215572 - 01/19/10 06:50 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: MissYumYum]
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Parrish, FL
Hi Annette (& of course, Ofafeather) -

My Lucy at her latest AV visit last Thursday weighed 550 grams smile and I am just tickled because he said she was gorgeous (which of course we already knew) - I just wish I could post pics of her on here. I have her on my Facebook page...in any event, I have been really happy that we didn't need to do the Lupron because although she laid a lot of eggs in the first two years we were together, she was really healthy and has now really reduced that behavior and not laid any lately. (YEAH!!!)

Even though she is hormonal, she is just so much better with the behavioral modifications we have done using this forum's education and the AV's advice.

Take care,

#215578 - 01/19/10 08:53 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Lucy's Mom]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Annette - .1ml????

1cc=1ml

#215580 - 01/19/10 09:12 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here

Hi Janet. I looked back on the breakdown of the charges for her vet visit on December 26th and on Jan. 9th for the second shot and that is what was written down for the amount of the shot. Is that too little or too much? I could call them to just double-check that they entered it into the computer correctly.

Hi Karen! I am really glad that the behavior modifications you are using with Lucy have worked so well smile! Of course she is a gorgeous girl! What is your FB name? I can't believe that I haven't sent you a friend request -must have been "asleep at the wheel" as usual these days!

Annette

#215581 - 01/19/10 09:36 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: MissYumYum]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Annette - 1 ml = about 1/5 of a teaspoon. So .1 ml would be 1/10th of 1/5 of a teaspoon - a drop (maybe? LOL!).

#215595 - 01/20/10 10:16 AM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here

Well, I just called my vet's office to check on the dosage they printed on my office visit breakdown and was told that 0.1 ml is the correct dose, so literally, a drop, I guess crazy! The receptionist put me on hold for awhile, pulled my file and must have talked to the vet, because she sounded definitive when she got back on the line. Still, though, when I go in for Isabella's third shot on Feb. 9th, I will ask the vet in person about the dosage. I agree, that does seem a very small amount, but so far - fingers-crossed - it has worked!

Annette

Edited by MissYumYum (01/20/10 10:18 AM)

#215600 - 01/20/10 11:56 AM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: MissYumYum]
Janny Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Canada
That sure doesn't seem like much to me. I think it is a good idea to ask your vet.He/she could have made an error.

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer

#215677 - 01/21/10 05:02 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Janny]
gizzytoo Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Hi Ofafeather and all,
Haven't been on here for some time, but I did lose my beloved Steiner bird, U2 female in November of 2007 to egg binding. She was on Lupron injections monthly and it seemed to help until I didn't do my part and that's what helped contribute to her demise. By not curbing the cuddling and playing under blankets like I should have. As it turns out in my case anyway that behavior modification was everything, and had I heeded the warnings she might still be alive today. Good luck and all the best.

#215683 - 01/21/10 08:54 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: gizzytoo]
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Loc: Covington, LA USA
Thanks, Gizzy, for being painfully honest. You didn't really know so you can't throw yourself under the bus! You see now that these instructions are from experience and experts. These cockatoos do perfectly fine with exercise and training sessions, the last thing they need is to be "cuddled" in laps and let to roam around under blankets and other dark, enclosed spaces. I'm sorry for Steiner. I know you loved her, please try to forget and remember the best of times with Steiner. You are teaching others the truth, a very valuable gift! smile

#215686 - 01/21/10 11:08 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Charlie]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

I agree with Charlie - you can't beat yourself up and from your experience you are teaching others, and that is a wonderful gift.

#216749 - 02/09/10 01:17 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: EchosMom]
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here

Just wanted to update everyone on Isabella's Lupron dose. She had her last planned Lupron shot this morning - the third one of the series of three that my vet does after the first egg is laid. She has not laid another one this season, and if history repeats itself, she will not lay another one until December or early January.

I asked the vet today what the dose of her shot is and he said 100 mcg. He said that was a very small amount, but he always starts with that amount and if it works (and it has every year for 4 years), then he sticks with the smallest possible dose. He said that a number of his U2 and M2 patients need a 400 mcg dose to be effective, and that he even has been giving an egg-laying Eclectus doses of 800 mcg to curb her tendencies. In the Ekkie's case, even that large dose is not working this year, so he is flying in Scott Echols (the author of the Captive Foraging DVD) to perform a birdie hysterectomy at Texas A&M in a few weeks. It's drastic, but the bird's life is now threatened - even 16 hours of darkness per day is not helping, and this bird is as chronic a layer as he has ever seen.

So, even though the dose is quite small, it does seem to be shutting down Isabella's urge to reproduce - the shot and my efforts to destimulate her work together to achieve success, knock on wood smile!

Annette

#216766 - 02/09/10 03:55 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: MissYumYum]
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Canada
Yay for Isabella smile
Prayers for the Ekkie hen who is about to undergo surgery - frightening to say the least.

www.sweetbeaksbirdtoys.webs.com

#216771 - 02/09/10 04:25 PM Re: Lupron and other Egg-laying preventatives [Re: Liisa B]
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here

Thanks, Liisa! Here's to an egg-free 9 months, at least!

I would hate to have to make the kind of decision that the Ekkie's owners are having to, but they have tried everything, and this surgery is the last resort. The Ekkie is about 18 years old and has been chronically laying eggs throughout the year for several years now. Poor thing!

Annette

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny