Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#247607 - 08/25/12 03:25 AM Re: Euthanasia... [Re: Meegsmom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
No apologies necessary Oliscot...it is a topic that will elicit strong emotions and responses. This topic comes up every so often and one thing for sure, it's never an easy discussion to have.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#247616 - 08/25/12 04:44 PM Re: Euthanasia... [Re: Meegsmom]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
That is very true EM, it is a very volatile subject. jannie I do appreiate your concern for the future of your feathered companion, Im sure you are doing what you beleive to be right (it does appear to be the kindest least selfish thing to do on the surface). I imagine it would be very hard to say to say "Ive done the best I can, theres nothing more I can do to secure their future, so time to let fate take over". I sincerely hope you change your mind though. just my thoughts OKay will leave it at that

Last edited by oliscot; 08/25/12 05:04 PM.
#247668 - 08/27/12 05:47 PM Re: Euthanasia... [Re: oliscot]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and while I understand the fears of what might happen to our Feathered babies once we are gone...I also know that as their caregiver, it is our duty to provide for their future while we are here. This is part of our commitment and responsibility. It is part of my own personal promise to my own Feathered Angels. I am very blessed that both of my children (who are adults now) have volunteered to take over my Angels care, once I am gone. However even if that were not an option, I have also set other plans in motion just in case. When I adopted my Angels, part of the deal was to make sure they were cared for properly before and after my own passing. I think not making sure plans are in order, is not taking our commitment to them fully.

Do I have concerns for my birds welfare after I am gone, sure I do. Will they be spoiled and loved like they are now...I hope so. There are no guarantees ever, but I am doing everything possible to hopefully ensure that they are well taken care of long after I am gone. We have a written Will in place, funds to support them and alternative plans made should the need arise.

I am not arguing anyone's decision here, just expressing my own thoughts and opinions. This is a very difficult subject to say the least and I am completely aware of the horror stories that have happened to thousands of unwanted or relinquished birds. I deal with this daily, so I am very knowledgeable on this issue.

I have sadly had to watch some of my Angels over the years that lost their lives due to illness. I watched them struggle and fight to stay alive. I held and cradled them as their last breath was taken. I know for a fact that they want to live. It is just up to us to do everything possible to make sure that their futures are safe and provided for. I could never take their life from them. That just isnt my place to make that decision, these are Gods Angels.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#247701 - 08/28/12 01:23 AM Re: Euthanasia... [Re: Meegsmom]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
Its been the same with me, I have brewing and thinking about this and even though I can't tell anyone what to do, I could not take my healthy birds here and have them put down because I would not be here to take care of them. Like everyone else, plans are in place and I can only hope that they will live a long and happy life after I am gone.

I know when I had to put my dog down it just broke my heart even though I knew it was the best for her. To take a perfectly healthy bird and look into their eyes knowing what your going to have done to them is a horrific thought to me. To me, I rather give them a chance at life then to end it.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#247790 - 09/01/12 06:15 AM Re: Euthanasia... [Re: Meegsmom]  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
No way. There is no reason to put a healthy animal down. I had to bring my mom's dog to have her put down earlier this month. I never experienced it before. It was hard but I knew it was the right thing to do. She had lymphoma and was suffering, stopped eating, etc.. There was no quality of life anymore. As sad as I was, I felt that I was showing her a final act of kindness. The vet gave her a sedative first and she just went to sleep peacefully. I just held her and told her what a good girl she was. That was it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny