Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#196449 - 03/22/09 03:35 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: babysmomma]  
ChickenBaby Offline
ChickenBaby  Offline

Sunshine State
I think variety is very important in their diet. I don't feed dairy except for whatever small amount may be used for cooking our own meals that we share with the birds, and I have also used almond milk which my too loves. I am guilty of giving a very small piece of cheese every so often (like once every couple weeks) this is only when it is absolutely necessary for trickery.
I heard that lactose is pretty much removed from dairy during processing and cooking, anyone know if this is true?

#202553 - 06/21/09 04:38 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: babysmomma]  
Kiwibarb Offline
Kiwibarb  Offline

I give my conures and african grey scrambled eggs (in the microwave with red palm oil) every week or two. They love it, and I shall probably give Luna some. I figure that between what hits the floor and what gets in the seed catcher, they don't actually get much, but they do like it.

#207988 - 08/29/09 01:27 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: nannyherr]  
rocky1 Offline
rocky1  Offline

how do you get the birdie mix from the vet at OSU, if you are referring to OKlahoma. I live in OKC and would like to get some also. thanks.

#211183 - 10/25/09 10:06 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: rocky1]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
*biting tongue* Doing my best not to preach, but... why?

A) Why would any "animal lover" be consuming a product made from the suffering of an animal and B) Why would an "animal lover" be feeding this product to one of their loved animals?

Alright, preaching done. The irony of it all just gets the better of me at times. I could go on and on and... no... must resist! Back to the point.

I do have a valid question/concern for her regarding this article. She doesn't begin to cover the other side-effects of dairy. Lactose is only one part of the entire dairy "puzzle". Antibiotics fed to the cows, hormones also given to the cows and the wonderful artery choking cholesterol and the fact that the "white" color of milk comes from white blood cells (otherwise known as puss) are also a few more pieces that aren't mentioned anywhere in the article. I'd rather refer to Dr. McDougall's research on the matter and just transfer it to birds smile

What are the side effects of a bird ingesting those, lactose free or not? This is a large reason I won't even put these things in my own body, never mind someone else's!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#211222 - 10/26/09 01:33 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Ditto Parrot person!!!!
Love my vanilla soymilk when I have cereal (should say we; Nina and Ruke love it)...

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#211227 - 10/26/09 02:05 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Rukesmom]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Our vet says plain yogurt is good for our Grey. Until I hear something authoritative to the contrary I will continue feeding it to her.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#211275 - 10/26/09 10:22 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: JBryan]  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

We don't eat dairy so the birds don't get it either. I do have a concern about them getting enough Vitamin D since I've read so much about it's benefit to people. The birds don't go outdoors and probably don't get that much through the windows in their room. I wonder if something like cod liver oil would be helpful?

They do eat some pellets, one bird more than the other. But I don't like the idea of them eating such highly processed food and I just never trust the nutritional value of pellets. Maybe I'm too paranoid.

#211314 - 10/27/09 07:16 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Birdiemommy]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We dont feed any dairy products here, use very little ourselves. I just dont want to take the risk, there has been so much information on both sides of the fence for my comfort. Our birds get a huge variety daily without dairy products needed. If we need to give meds, we would put them in the daily oatmeal. For vitamin D, we use spectrum lighting in the winter months when we cant get our birds outside on a daily basis.

Definitely not trying to argue or agree with anyone here, just going on what I have read, and what I have discussed with my own vet. I think everyone should make this decision with their vet.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#213809 - 12/18/09 05:37 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: candim]  
Janie Offline
Janie  Offline

We just let KiwiU2 choose according to her needs. She seems to be a fruit eater. Kale, surely you jest! Kale is a cool weather crop and doesn't grow in a rain forest. That beak really doesn't want green except to tear up appropriate leaves etc. I will say it again, sometimes this bird just wants protein and will eat it voraciously. Of course we moderate amounts and frequency. She will always go for fat. I continue to wonder that there is something in the natural diet that they consume which is 'fatty' but digestible for them. What she wants one day, she doesn't want the next. I think this has to do with natural feeding patterns of moving from place to place and having to scrounge for whatever they can get to eat.

Just watching our 4 chickens forage is a learning experience. They'll eat anything, especially protein. They actually killed a mouse, and were chasing each other around trying to steal it from the 'mouse body' owner. They'll pick scabs off your arm too. They seem to know what protein is no matter how it's packaged.

#213811 - 12/18/09 06:37 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Janie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
They are just like most other animals, humans being the worst. If you provide them with meat, fat, salt and sugar (junk) then they will choose to eat these things to the exclusion of all healthy food. Sure, at some point, their bodies will crave things that it needs. Birds adopted into good homes after a lifetime of eating crap gorge themselve on vegetables and grains, for a few days. Once the body has met most of its nutritional requirements, they will hold out for junk because this is what they want and are used to.

Unlike us, we know eating crap will shorten our lives and cause any number of health problems and then chose to do it anyway, they eat what we provide. Chickens cannot be compared to parrots in any way. No respected vet will you that these things are part of a natural parrot diet. Will they eat a grub or meat and bones from a dead animal? Sure, it just doesn't happen often.

#213812 - 12/18/09 07:03 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Charlie]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Friends of mine with an umbrella cockatoo let her eat quite a bit of meat and the bird would sometimes steal cat food.

Eventually, she became quite "huffy" in her breathing, so she was taken to the vet. Her cholesterol was way higher that it should have been and she was very overweight. They cut all the meat products out and she's doing better.

Little bits of meat probably won't hurt, but it's not something wild parrots eat a lot of (keas and Antipodes Island Kakarikis being the exceptions). They should get their protein from their pellets, and from plant sources like nuts, quinoa, beans, corn, and things like that. Fat should come from their pellets, and seeds and nuts.

Chickens also have higher protein requirements than parrots.

#214538 - 01/03/10 06:09 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Garnet]  
Littlesavedgirl Offline
Littlesavedgirl  Offline

St. Louis, Missouri
My Too has been in 6 prior homes before mine. Within those homes the care that was given to her, can only be speculation on my part or perhaps hear-say. One thing I am certain of is that we can only give our Too's the best we know how.
I have given my Too hard boiled eggs a couple of times, she nibbles a bit and then drops it. The same can be repeated for pellet's,red grapes, corn ect. Bottom line; the bad food habits acquired by some of our Too's can be complicated and very likely impossible to rectify.
We should take this slow and easy before we cause additional stress.

color:pink =o) xo BirdLover xo =o)
#214539 - 01/03/10 06:21 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Littlesavedgirl]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Littlesavedgirl
One thing I am certain of is that we can only give our Too's the best we know how.

Absolutely, but we can (and should) take that a step further. It is our responsibility to learn how to give the best that we can.

You are right, diet conversion can take time and can be done gradually in many circumstances. This should be discussed, in depth with your bird's avian vet.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#214653 - 01/05/10 09:33 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: BE2Cassie]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: BE2Cassie
That's a good to know about the lactose free products. I wonder how many people out there give their birds lactose free cheese and milk products thinking they are doing no wrong.

+1. My wife has lactose free milk in the house...occasionally I have put a splash in some oatmeal that Buddi has consumed...I guess I will not be doing that anymore...

#223827 - 07/28/10 10:47 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: babysmomma]  
artfull Offline
artfull  Offline

Mi
I feed my Angel-bird just about everything i eat.. i'm a chef and i don't eat fake foods... he's healthy very happy, and loves life.. i rescued angel... or rather he choose me... he was unhappy with a friend and picked me... and loves it with me... i feed him pellets and seeds but he mostly loves nuts and fruits, will eat vegetables and loves grains and adores cream cheese which i give him only once in a while as a treat, Angel is the greatest creature god ever created... we sing to him, dance with him, let him fly around the house and boss the cats and dogs around.
David

#225567 - 09/23/10 04:59 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: artfull]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
sounds like angel has a great life. I also try to get my birds to eat healthy, with an occasional unhealty treat. Angelina loves pizza. Her previous owner wasnt very concious of her diet, even though I do think he loved her very much. Just wanted to caution about bossing the cats and dogs. Make sure there is much supervision. I am balancing a household right now with three birds and two large dogs. Dont ever take anything for granted

#230433 - 02/11/11 08:09 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: babysmomma]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

Hello everyone,
I am the mom of a U2 and African grey, Sammy and Birdie, Sammy is one picky fart!!!, I give him many many choices of food for brekkie, I was feeding him a boiled egg in the mornings, he actually ate that, I was told no more eggs, He is 3 now so starting to exhibit breeding behaviors, so now Sammy will not eat much, I offer fruits, salads, (i buys various greens for my canaries and try to give them at bit as well) I tried oatmeal, I have tried shredded wheat, cherrio's tried toast, tried toast and peanut butter,I have made several types of birdie breads, i have tried the various bean mixtures i have found on the internet, i have tried various squash, and other veggies, he will nibble on brocoli and bits of cauliflower, he does like pasta and corn, so I am limited to what i can feed him,
He must eat enough as there is always a healthy amount of poop at the bottom of his cage, I always have pellets and seed/nuts in his cage, (i leave seeds/nuts for about an hour then take the away) he loves almonds and walnuts, both in shell and out.
Any ideas on what to feed this guy or to try to offer
He does have appointment at the vet on tuesday so will see if he is healthy,
I must also add Sammy loves loves loves cheese, I was feeding him cheese everyday, (cheese strings cut very thin) I used cheese to bribe him back into his cage when he was being a bugger, i used bits of cheese to do training, nothing else works, he doesn't like banana chips or sundflower seed, no peanuts, and if i chop the almonds he will not eat them,
Talk about a fussy kid, lol
The grey she will eat most fruits and some veggies, the lady i got her from only ever gave her pellets and the odd bit of fruit, so i think she thinks she is in heaven with all the choices i give her, lol

Both are like my kiddies so i try really hard to make them happy, not always succeeding, but i try.
I am a stay at home mom so always home with them, I am affraid to let them both out at the same time, Sammy (U2) is very demanding of my time and gets alittle upset if he see's birdie ( the grey) anywhere near me, He goes to bed at around 5:30 and then birdie will come out to play, her cage is always open, but i think she is to nervous to come out while he is out,
Will he harm her?

Jeana

#230435 - 02/11/11 08:28 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: Jeana]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
One of the things that has worked very well for my picky kids is a concoction called "chop". It is a mixture of frozen, cooked and raw veggies, rice, wild rice, grains, uncooked oatmeal, flax seed,pasta, etc that is all thrown in the food processor, chopped tiny and then mixed together. I make it about every 6 weeks and freeze it in baggies. Each baggie will feed my flock for 2-3 days. After a few days of uncertainty, all of my birds decided it was wonderful. The deal is that if they go for a bite of carrot or pasta, they get a bite of greens as well.

My kids do get an occasional bit of boiled egg. But I share one egg between 7 birds, so it's just a taste really.

You will also want to watch the cheese, as parrots are lactose intolerant. However, the harder the cheese, the less lactose is actually present. Therefore a hard cheese (parmesan, sharp cheddar) is better for them than Jack cheese or other soft cheese. My kids get cheese VERY occasionally as a special treat.

Birdie bread is another huge favorite and I use it to deliver anything that they aren't eating enough of. I make mine with mini pellets, mashed sweet potatoes, smashed egg shell and frozen veggies. You can find a birdie bread recipe on the MyToos recipe page.

#250633 - 02/10/13 08:36 AM Re: Dairy Products [Re: EchosMom]  
Casey000 Offline
Casey000  Offline

New Jersey
My g2s love Greek yogurt. They don't get very much but they swarm me when I'm eating it. It's the only dairy product they get.

#250634 - 02/10/13 02:53 PM Re: Dairy Products [Re: EchosMom]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I think yogurt is very good for them. I'm sure some one can either back me up and de-bunk me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny