Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 49 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#214232 - 12/28/09 05:07 PM symtoms of "with egg"?  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

what are the symptoms of a bird that is "with egg" . aside from the nesty, hormonalness...? and how long does it take for an egg to form? I am now wondering if Makira is "with egg" after reading about some of your 'toos. How long from onset of hormones till she might be ready to lay? should she go to the vet again? when?
Cheryl

#214241 - 12/28/09 05:55 PM Re: symtoms of "with egg"? [Re: Winter's mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi Cheryl. What's happening that makes you suspect there might be an egg? I know with Isabella, my first sign that she may be cooking up an egg is finding regurgitated food in her sleep cage. Usually up to two weeks before I find said mess, she has been pretty active rubbing on her toys (which I then move) and making toothpicks out of all her wood toys. On Christmas Eve of this year, I uncovered her sleep cage to find regurgitation for the third time in 5 days. Her poop all day was watery, with very little feces. She did not eat much, although she was in no way listless. Last time she laid an egg, though (late December of 2007), she did exhibit listlessness and I was very worried that she was egg-bound (she was not, thank goodness). That year, I took her to te vet and got a preemptive Lupron shot, so an egg was thankfully avoided. She also spends more time on the bottom of her cage rooting around and trying to reach the paper to shred it, probably looking for a place to lay the egg.

Hope this helps! I would say that if Makira is acting at all listless or refusing all food for sure I would take her in to the vet before this week's holiday!

Annette

Last edited by MissYumYum; 12/28/09 06:49 PM. Reason: more info

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#214248 - 12/29/09 12:45 AM Re: symtoms of "with egg"? [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Some of the symptoms of being "with egg" are the same as being "egg bound":

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=3060
  • Abdominal straining
  • Bobbing or wagging of the tail
  • Drooping of the wings
  • Wide stance
  • Depression
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lameness or leg paralysis (the egg puts pressure on the nerves going to the legs)
  • Distended abdomen or poochiness
  • Droppings stuck to the vent area
  • Fluffed feathers
  • Weakness/Listlessness
  • Sitting on the floor of the cage
  • Decreased appetite
  • Less frequent/larger than normal poops

It takes about 48 hours for a newly formed egg to travel down the reproductive tract.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#214259 - 12/29/09 04:42 AM Re: symtoms of "with egg"? [Re: EchosMom]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Hmmm. ok. don't see many of those symptoms. Appetite is good. Plenty active..searching for hidey holes at every opportunity,seems feisty as ever (no depression.. crabby..)no wing drooping,( some quivering when she's asking for attention) no regurg or vent rubbing.... She does spend some time on the bottom of the cage, but she's usually pacing to get out.Or eyeing the papers below the grate...
I guess she's just still nesty and/or hormonal.. she's kinda bitey one minute and then all lovey the next. and she's always calling... calling... (ok. that's a nice word for SHRIEKING) ..
Thanks Janet and Annette

#214277 - 12/29/09 12:05 PM Re: symtoms of "with egg"? [Re: Winter's mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Thanks for the listing. Cassie has been very hormonal the past few weeks. I've been worried about eggs and have changed her cage, shortened her daylight hours and tried to keep her from being to lovey. She does have three of the symptoms though and we've been watching her like a hawk. Her bottom is poochy, stools larger and longer apart and a few have stuck to her vent. Never thought I'ld be wiping bums again. Everything else with her is pretty normal except less talking. Still calling though and will talk with Biddybe. I will have to keep aware of the other symptoms.
Thanks again
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#214327 - 12/30/09 03:58 PM Re: symtoms of "with egg"? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
They will also sometimes want to soak their vent area in water. Reptiles also do this. Hannah has been soaking her vent in her water dish as she has every year at this time. No eggs yet, but this is hormonal behavior. Our male does not do this.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny