Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#21033 - 12/21/06 05:09 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
IMO - Lynn I CAN see where your friend might need use this method in those "specific" types of situations to prevent harm to other birds. However, I would never, ever use this as a method to stop Lilly from screaming.

The couple I adopted Lilly from told me when I brought her home that " if she starts screaming and getting on your nerves, just use the squirt bottle, she is terrified of it." I though OMG how cruel!

So... I personally would never do this. Lilly does her normal afternoon scream/play time displays. If she screams other than that then something is wrong or she is scared.

No too should be punished for screaming. If they are screaming other than the norm ( morning and evening, or playtime) then something is wrong and needs to be analyzed and resloved by the human.

JMHO Kim

#21034 - 12/21/06 04:49 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
Welcome to the board, there is a lot of great information on here and great people with tons of expereince!

We also have a spray bottle, mostly for baths However with 6 macaws that tend to "battle" sometimes, it is used to break them up or as protections for my hand when trying to seperate them. None here are afraid of that bottle they think it is bath time or playtime. Go figure.

Sometimes I think they let me believe I have control when seperating them LOL!!!

Tammy

#21035 - 12/21/06 04:57 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Blanka'smama Offline
Blanka'smama  Offline

Thank you wildirish

Well Tory seams to be settling in pretty well so far. Se doesnt like my husbands uniform tho. Maybe all the badges are to shiny who knows. He seams to be more a womans bird. He LOVES our 11 yr old daughter, she can go up to him anytime and pet him or whatever. Blanka is still doing her own thing but is talking a little bit more and has almost got the ring of th ephone down pretty well.If you walk out the room Tory will do a phone ring to get you to come back its so cute!! They will sit there and talk to each other off and on all day.

#21036 - 12/21/06 11:32 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
WillieandPhoebe Offline
WillieandPhoebe  Offline

Lake Havasu, Arizona
Welcome Blankasmama!!
I adopted a female M2 almost a year ago now. My other M2, Willie, was 7 like yours. You will have good days and bad ahead, but I can truthfully say I am 100% glad I took Phoebe into our home. If not for the search feature here to answer all my questions, I'm not sure I would have kept Phoebe or tried as hard. You are not going to believe how much you didn't know for the seven years you've had your U2, and yet how much you just naturally "did right" from all your experience with children. You'll have fun trying some of the recipes for birds on here, too. Good luck, I think you'll do great!!!!
Debby

Debby
#21037 - 12/22/06 03:49 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Whenever a new member logs-on, current members should do nothing but welcome that person. If current members have any advice for the new member, they should ask the new member to post their information to the appropriate forum.

The reason for this is that other new members introductions may be completely covered up while you're discussing the first new members problem (as you're doing here). So please ask the new member to move any cockatoo related questions or comments to the proper forum so that we can welcome others also.

#21038 - 12/22/06 04:43 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Ducky's Mom Offline
Ducky's Mom  Offline

Teresa,
I do have to extend an apology to you. Ever since I posted my replies to you, I have not felt comfortable about them. Maybe I had read too many posts about the negative dangers of owning cockatoos? I don't know. There really isn't any excuse for me to come out so hard-nosed and negative. Owning my M2 has been a great joy to me.
So, let me start over and say welcome. I hope you can forgive me for my previous posts.
Leslie

#21039 - 12/22/06 05:00 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
mom of 2 toos Offline
mom of 2 toos  Offline

I for this reason dont like to post much, at times people can so easly miss read or read stuff into things that may not seam what may not be...

#21040 - 12/22/06 04:32 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Blanka'smama Offline
Blanka'smama  Offline

Leslie,

I accept you apology. I in all means didnt try to start any kind of argument on here. And yes did feel like wow what in the world.

To answer the Q about her being happy!

How can Blanka not be happy? She gets out everyday most of the day at that, tv is always left on for her while we are gone, fresh fruits and vegies, people holding her off and on all day. All kinds of toys so on... She isnt mean at all and never has been. I can take her to someones house to be watched and she will let any one of them hold her so on. IMO she is very happy, she is talkitive, full of nice feathers doesnt pluck or anything.. maybe its how I raised her smile

#21041 - 12/23/06 02:40 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
ithe1 Offline
ithe1  Offline

I think some people should reread the post from Ducky's Mom, page 2, I think alot should be apologizing for miss leading and maybe scaring others from adopting and giveing a loving home to a needy TOO becouse of the negative posts. Owning a TOO is very exciting and rewarding when they get over the negative activities of abuse. I have a great relationship with mine, hope you make a great friend with yours.

#21042 - 12/23/06 03:59 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Whiskers Offline
Whiskers  Offline

Sacramento, Ca.
Hi Blanka'smama, I just wanted to Welcome you and say we glad you decided to join us. And I looked forward to hearing about your too's and seeing pictures. I'm In Sacramento, so about 2 hours away when there is no snow in them there Sierra mountains.
Patty :-)

Everyday treat your avian family and everyone else, as if it were your or their last day on earth.
#21043 - 12/24/06 07:03 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Stosh's Mom Offline
Stosh's Mom  Offline

Deerfield Beach, FL
Thank You Jerry!!!
And Welcome Blanka'smama. Love that buffet at the Peppermill!! We Ski Tahoe every winter from Deerfield Beach, Florida. The best thing you can do is just take it slow, tune into the bird's behaviour cues, take time to let the trust build
and always keep safety in mind and be alert as they are spontaneous and quick little creatures. It only takes a second for them to cause serious harm. The bird I rescued had been rehomed too many times to track. He is roughly 24 yrs old. It has taken a year to get him settled in here but now he is calm now and is very rarely ever aggressive and you can tell when he is feeling that way by watching his behaviour...then I just put him away for some quiet time to settle him before it becomes a problem.
Take your time, be patient with them.

Jerry,
I am so over the obnoxious way some members respond on this the site. It only discourages new members from returning. You would think by the time you are old enough to have raised kids, grandkids and a flockful of birds you could have learned some tack and effective communication skills!
This business of insulting and criticizing members for their ideas or actions instead of offering alternatives or offering a different viewpoint to consider in a positive or encouraging way must stop!
I guess there are some people who are incapable of this.... AND JERRY ---> Thank You for stepping in when these offensive people are over the top. Your influence in this keeps the board worth reading!

#21044 - 12/24/06 11:59 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
ithe1 Offline
ithe1  Offline

Stosh's Mom, you are so right on. TOO's are like some people, they can go from love you to bitxx in 2.2sec. My Blue is so sweet but the other night some thing just got under her tail and before I knew it I had a hand full. Lucky haveing raised kids and grand kids I knew just hot to handle her. Just like any other person, shut them up quick.

#21045 - 12/25/06 05:27 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Blanka'smama Offline
Blanka'smama  Offline

my husband said we are not going to keep Tory, he has bitten him snapped at our daughter and then someone else today. He said its not worth it since I have daycare and lots of little kids. So he is going to be going back to his owner on Tuesday.

Blanka has not picked up on the biting habit thankfully and we both agree we will get another baby and raise it like we did Blanka.

I know some of you may be disapointed in us for not sticking it out but we did try and weighed the pros and cons of it all and decided, it would be best thing to do.

#21046 - 12/25/06 06:07 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
I hope you and the previous owner will consider a rescue organization for troy. www.mickaboo.com or http://www.parrotconnection.org/ are in the sacramento area. if mickaboo will accept troy, i could drive to reno to pick him up. Please consider professionals taking over his care where he can be resocialized and rehomed and given the peace he deserves.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#21047 - 12/25/06 10:31 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
ithe1 Offline
ithe1  Offline

I think that is the best for all concerned. You are very smart to have seen early enough that this is just not the one for you. Thank god he did not teach your love any bad habits. Pat your self on the back...Merry x-mass.

#21048 - 12/26/06 11:07 PM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Disappointed? Hey you gave it what…. 9 days? But no actually I am not. I think it is the best decision. A Moluccan Cockatoo (IMO) was probably not a good choice to bring into your home to begin with especially….

Quote:
since I have daycare and lots of little kids.

Also curious, which rescue are you going to use to ….

Quote:
get another baby and raise it like we did Blanka.
I really do not mean to sound rude. I am sure you are great folks and take good care of Blanka. But why on earth bring another U2 or M2 “baby” into your home, especially while running a daycare!?!?! Please stick with what you have. There is no guarantee that even if you were to “get” another baby, it would not grow up to BITE and SCREAM!

I really do wish you guys all the best, and for Torys sake check out the sights Couragee posted above and at least consider those options.

Good luck, Kim

#21049 - 12/27/06 01:15 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Blanka'smama Offline
Blanka'smama  Offline

Who said I was using a reescue in the first place I am not.. I am giving him back to his owners.

We will be getting another baby whenever we feel we have found the right breeder and so on... I am not saying I am going right out and getting the first bird i find! I am NOT a DUMB BLONDE WHO DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING!!!

You could also ask why does poeple have any animal with kids or without, its all the same.

#21050 - 12/27/06 01:27 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
Having your own children in your home with a cockatoo is one thing, however having other peoples children in your home as a day care is asking for a lawsuit. There is a thread on here about a woman getting sued for the same thing but it was a teenager.

Quote:
lady had 7 kids and couldnt deal with him and them, then this last person has only had him a month. We are thinking it could be cause he was moved around so much and the fact we are new to him and its a new place so on
The bouncing from home to home will eventually destroy his trust in people all together. I have a 17 yr old E2 and after his owner died he had 9 homes in 8 months, and so far I am the only one he really goes to.

Talking about breeders and buying a baby bird isn't going to go over well on this board.

Tammy

#21051 - 12/27/06 01:56 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Quote:
I am NOT a DUMB BLONDE WHO DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING!!!
I never said you were.

Quote:
We will be getting another baby whenever we feel we have found the right breeder and so on...
This is one of the exact points I was making.

Read the agenda here before you post again about "buying" a "baby" from a "breeder"!

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=000003

This part in particular:

"We have an "agenda" here at mytoos message board. We do NOT believe in breeding, or the buying and selling of parrots through either breeders or pets stores, online classifieds or auctions. If you are a breeder, pet store owner, or you support any of these practices, we do not care to debate the issue with you. Been there, done that....many many times. There are several threads on the board dealing with the issue and if you use our search feature, you can look up the previous discussions to understand our stance better. Any post attempting to debate this issue further will be deleted."

And this is one of the many reasons why:

http://www.avianwelfare.org/action/flyers/adoptcockatoo.pdf

#21052 - 12/27/06 09:18 AM Re: Hello from Nevada  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
please, please don't go to a breeder. Even rescues get babies. Mickaboo has gotten several just in the last month. Please consider adopting before purchasing. also I talked with sue, the cocaktoo cordinator for mickaboo, she suggested oasis another rescue for troy and to reach out to parrot911, both located online, to help find a proper home for troy. I am still willing to help out with Troy in getting him to a rescue. please let me know if you need assistance.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny