Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#209827 - 10/02/09 11:57 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Bev,I have printed everything you put in ABA and read it often. When it comes down to typing it all out here is where I have a problem putting it so people understand. I am making progress with Eddie and will keep you updated when our progress gets to another level. I guess you would have to meet Eddie to understand our situation better. Not sure if ABA will be the solution but not going to count it out yet.

#209838 - 10/03/09 06:34 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
If you learn how to implement a Functional Analysis and understand what that is, and do it correctly, it has to succeed. It's a science, Joe. The pure truth. It's used to change schizophrenic behaviour, it can change the behaviour of many types of mentally ill patients, it can change the behaviour of a 6 month old baby and it can change Eddie's behaviour. But it all depends on you. You will have to change the most and that is key.

If there was someone who didn't like you but the food on your table depended on that person liking you, what would you do?

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#209926 - 10/05/09 11:17 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Triscuit Offline
Triscuit  Offline

Triscuit's Functional Analysis

Background: Triscuit (Goffin) has become more and more squawky over the past 15 months. We had moved into a new house, and for the first four months, he was the model of perfect behavior. Since then, he squawks for attention more and more, louder and louder. Got a second Goffin about 6 months (female, about the same age). Behavior hasn't changed, but gotten worse, even with trying all the methods described on this board. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, not him smile

Antecedent: Triscuit is in his cage and know's I'm home (he can hear or see me).

Behavior: He vocalizes. First, it is acceptable vocalization (hellos, whistles, but it quickly turns into squawking (not the displaying kind, but the "come get me" kind).

Consequence: If I am not in the same room, I try to respond to the contact call (if I can) and ignore the squawking. If I am in the same room, I respond to the contact calls, but put him in a time out for 1 minute if he squawks.

I used to ignore but realized I was still somehow reinforcing it. I've been trying the time out method to see if it helps. By time out, I immediately say "don't" and then move him to his sleeping cage in another room. I only leave him there for a minute and then return him to his cage and tell him he's a good bird.

Last edited by Triscuit; 10/05/09 11:27 PM.
#209941 - 10/06/09 04:02 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Triscuit]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Will take a look at this tomorrow but right off the top, the vocalizations should never be allowed to escalate. Is he in the cage this whole time?

So the target behaviour is not that he vocalizes but that it escalates into "squawking", right?

Time outs don't work unless it is time out from positive reinforcement.

I think I know what is going on here but I need you to be able to figure it out. You are also ahead of the game because you realize you are reinforcing it. Good call!!! We can work on that.

I am going to break down the Functional Analysis because I really need everyone to understand the steps before they try to put one together.

Good try though!!!

Bev

Bev

#209984 - 10/06/09 08:39 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Triscuit Offline
Triscuit  Offline

Thanks, Bev. I'll keep watching this thread and submit a new functional analysis as needed. You helped me with this a few months ago, too, but I haven't done the whole applied behavior approach yet (though I have read all the articles on here and bought the book).

Yes, the target behavior is the escalation into squawking. He has plenty of vocalizations that are acceptable, most of which I love hearing. I would say this behavior happens 95% of the time, while in his cage. Occasionally, he will do this while out playing but it may be playful squawking. So for now, I'm trying to focus on the in-cage squawking.

#209988 - 10/06/09 09:21 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Triscuit]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
So Trisquit's person, LOL you need to fill up that attention tank because that's what this bird is telling you. This is a very common mistake we make. The thing is you need to nip that in the bud before Trisquit takes it too a new level. Is there any reason that he is in the cage while you are home. Is it necessary for him to be in the cage? My birds are never in their cage while I'm home. Just curious.

Can you tell me what a typical day is like in Trisquit's life?

Bev

#210064 - 10/07/09 06:22 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Background:

Background is what is going on in the environment that may affect the behaviour of your bird. Say for example your problem behaviour is screaming and you have a bunch of teenagers acting up in the room. That may contribute to the screaming. Now if there is nobody in the room, then you have to look at other things that are reinforcing the screaming. So it helps to have a look at what is going on when the problem behaviours are occurring.

Antecedent:

The antecedent is what happens immediately before the behaviour and we are talking in seconds not minutes. For example if the problem behaviour were biting and my Functional Analysis would go like this:

Background: Bev is getting ready to go to work and requests that Sally step up.

Antecedent: Bev presents hand

Behaviour: Sally bites Bevís hand

Consequence: Bev pulls hand away

Possible Future Behaviour: Sally will bite Bev more often so Bev will remove her hand.

My hand is the antecedent that sets the occasion for the bite to happen. Sally cannot bite me if my hand is not there. Make sense so far?

Target Behavior:

The target behaviour must always be filled in first. This is the behaviour you want to modify/reduce/change or the problem behaviour. It can also be used to increase a behaviour you want to see more of.

Consequence:

The consequence is what your bird is getting out of it. The consequence is what reinforces the behaviour. It could be your attention/something else in the environment/or food to change/reduce/modify. We use primary reinforcers and secondary reinforcers (whatever the bird finds most reinforcing) to change the behaviours we do not want. It does not matter what you think, it is the bird who decides what is reinforcing to them. You canít say he doesnít like that or heís not food motivated. If he eats, heís food motivated. We have to look at everything going on in the environment to modify behaviour.

Possible Future Behavior:

Will the target behaviour increase or decrease? In the above Functional Analysis, it will increase because removing my hand will be reinforcing to Sally and she will continue to bite so that she does not have to go into her cage.

Now to change this up:

Background: Bev is getting ready to go to work and requests that Sally step up.

Antecedent: Bev asks Sally to step up

Target Behaviour: Sally steps up

Consequence: Bev gives Sally a pine nut

Possible Future Behaviour: Sally will step up more often to get a pine nut.

Now the thing you have to realize is:

1. I set up Sallyís cage so itís a fun place to be. (Environmental change)

2. Pine nuts are a high value primary (food) reinforcer to Sally because she only gets them for requested behaviour. (I use what I know Sally values)

3. I set Sally up to succeed because when she succeeds, I succeed. Itís a win-win.

Any questions?

Bev

#210065 - 10/07/09 06:36 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Triscuit Offline
Triscuit  Offline

Typical day for Triscuit ...

Gets up at 9am (cuddle briefly) before moving to his big cage.

I start working (I work from home) and he plays in his cage.

On my lunch break, he comes with me when I take a shower. He doesn't shower every day, but perches in the bathroom and plays with his reflection in the mirror sometimes. He then gets some apple and banana while I make lunch.

I go back to work and he goes back to his cage. He may start screaming in the afternoon, especially as I get closer to finishing work (around 5:30). Throughout the afternoon, I try to positively reinforce his behavior when he is playing and/or being quiet. I give him a sunflower seed and scratch his head.

Around 6, he comes out of his cage and typically stays out with me until he goes to bed (around 8pm). He'll play some, watch me make dinner, perch on a chair looking out the window. I've tried letting him eat with me, but sometimes I put him in his cage to eat, depending on what I'm eating (eg. dont let him near any tomato sauce or there will be sauce everywhere!).

After dinner, he comes out and plays more energetically. I swing him on a towel and he flaps his wings and screams (which is fine) and uses a lot of energy. We cuddle some right before bed (though he's less interested in cuddling in the evening).

That's his typical day. On the weekends, it's a little different, since I tend to be away from home more often.

Out of cage time is close to 3 hours. I've tried letting him out with me while I work, but he's just too rambunctious. Plus I have a second Goffin, who I try to be equally as attentive to, but I wouldn't be able to work at all while they were both out. The Goffins are so energetic and are all over the place (mostly on me and my computer) if they aren't in their cage while I'm working).

I've been trying to give him more attention but it seems to have made the screaming worse, when I'm not giving him attention. In some ways, I'm afraid I'm spoiling him too much and he is becoming more and more impatient when he's not getting attention.

Anyway, I hope you can help us. Some days seem unbearable until they go to bed, even though the problem behavior isn't all day. This week seems to be more difficult than most. Screaming throughout the day, unless he are out of his cage. He's got new toys, foraging devices, etc.

Thanks

Michael

#210080 - 10/07/09 08:08 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Triscuit]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Michael, how about you take a break before the screaming begins/escalates. A 15 minute break to have an aerobic session with Trisquit. Help him burn off some energy. By the time I get home from work Zazu is actually doing circles in her cage. Up the side, over the top, down the side, over and over and over again until I let her out. Nikki goes into a silly spasm and starts flipping her wings and grabbing the swing over her cage. I swear if you could harness that energy, you'd make a fortune. Zazu flies all over the place when I let her out. Nikki will start crying for a little bit because she can't fly. That energy has to go somewhere. Burning off some of that pent up energy may help then back in the cage with some treats and a special toy.

Sound like a plan?

Bev

#210084 - 10/07/09 09:05 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Triscuit Offline
Triscuit  Offline

Sounds good, Bev. I will take a break now and give that a try and continue it. Maybe that will make him a happier bird! Thanks!

#210140 - 10/08/09 03:25 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Triscuit]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Is there a reason people aren't participating? You are not going to be able to learn how to solve problem behaviours unless you understand a Functional Analysis and how to do one. If you don't want to continue, just let me know.

Talk to me.

Bev

#210144 - 10/08/09 04:04 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
I don't have any problem behaviors but I have been reading these with great interest.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#210168 - 10/08/09 08:25 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: JBryan]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Oh me too Bev, I read everything you write! I just dont have an issue at this time. I also thought that during these threads we were not suppose to post, I totally bow to you and EM. What I do know I learned from the two of you.

In August I posted my only issue with Ozzy, and what you and EM suggested has worked perfectly. Ozzy now allows me to work at my computer every afternoon while on his playstand. No more chasing a silly Too around hehe. I fill up his attention tank prior work time, and once I am finished. A little positive reinforcement during as well.

I am actually racking my brain to come up with something, cause I dont want to see this training end. I know tomorrow can bring a new unwanted behavior and I will need you guys lol.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#210170 - 10/08/09 08:37 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
What if my wife has a behavior issue?

Oh, never mind.

#210171 - 10/08/09 08:46 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: JBryan]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
JB, I have one word of advice for you.

Diamonds.

And if she reads what you just said "lots of big diamonds". LOL

I'll figure this out, Deborah, don't worry. It is too important to all the parrots out there to let it go. And what you said is music to my ears. No problems with a cockatoo. Priceless.... LOL

Bev

#210172 - 10/08/09 09:11 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

ohhh I want diamonds too hmmm gonna have to start having issues lol.

Bev from your training I have learned that Ozzy has no issues. It is we the humans that have tried to put a square peg into a round hole that causes the issues. Every time we step back and view the situation from Ozzy's point of view, the answer is readily there (many times we need help viewing the situation lol). We don't change Ozzy, we change how we do things. Ozzy is a very normal rambunctious Too, and we wouldn't change that for the world. Without yours and EM's patient guidance through functional analysis, we wouldn't be as adjusted as we are today.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#210173 - 10/08/09 09:16 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Bev, I got the diamond thing covered. You are right about that one. It is a primary reinforcer for her.

#210313 - 10/10/09 06:57 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: JBryan]  
pharmher Offline
pharmher  Offline

Washington
I love reading these threads and have learned a lot, so I will share mine. Here is a simple one I have had some success with: (please donít laugh too hard when you read it :))

Missyís Functional Analysis

Background: Missy (M2) adopted 1 yr ago. When I leave the bathroom door open and sit down you-know-where, if she sees this, she charges up and tries to climb up me. I try to get her to step up on my hand and sometimes receive a nip because she wants to sit in my lap for some weird reason.

Antecedent: I sit down you-know-where.

Behavior: Missy tries to scramble into my lap.

Consequence: Missy gets into my lap because I donít want to be nipped or scratched.

Possible Future Behavior: Missy will try to climb in my lap more often.

Solution:
I close the door when I go to the bathroom, thus removing the antecedent.

An interesting follow-up to this is now when I have accidentally left the door open a couple of times, she hasnít tried to climb up on my lap.

I really want to work more on having her get in her cage willingly on a consistent basis too - I will try and come up with an analysis for that also.

We are owned by Keesha (U2), Missy (M2), & Chloe (African Red-Bellied)
#210367 - 10/11/09 05:34 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: pharmher]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Good try Pharmher!!! And I'm sure all of us have been in that same "position". LOL

OK, we need environment/behaviour/environment.

The target behaviour is: Missy tries to climb up your leg, right? The antecedent is what sets the occasion for the behaviour to happen and that would be you sitting down on the toilet. The consequence or reward for Missy is getting on your lap. And you were spot on that Missy will try to climb in your lap more often as long as she finds being in your lap reinforcing. The first thing that comes to mind is maybe a nesting behaviour because you said she didn't do it when you accidentally left the door open, right?

Antecedent: Pharmher is on the throne (LOL)
Behaviour: Missy climbs Pharmher's leg
Consequence: Pharmher allows Missy on lap

PFB: Missy will climb Pharmher's leg more often to get on her lap.

But you have already solved it with a simple antecedent change (keep bathroom door closed) and that is excellent.

Can you explain this a bit more "I really want to work more on having her get in her cage willingly on a consistent basis too".
Tell me what happens.

Bev

#210424 - 10/12/09 01:51 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
pharmher Offline
pharmher  Offline

Washington
Well, this may be long, but I would like to be as complete as possible and provide all the necessary information for you.

We are owned by 3 parrots: U2 Keesha (been with us ~8yrs), African Red-Bellied (been with us ~4 years), and M2 Missy (came to us 1 yr ago). Missy is 18yr old, and was with one owner who gave her up because Missy - began to pluck, scream, etc because her owner couldnít spend enough time with her. She is a super-sweet bird who, as far as we are concerned, really just wanted more interaction.

The one situation where I feel I am most challenged with her is when I go to put her in her cage before I leave for work. I work evenings (start at 1:30PM), so ďtypicalĒ day starts at about 9AM:

9AM Erin gets up and makes coffee, she and all 3 (M2 Missy, U2, African Red-Bellied) birds go into office and they get lots of love & scritches.

10AM Erin goes to work out in basement, all 3 birds come too as they each have a perch down there to sit on.

12:30 PM Erin gets dressed for work and goes to put birds in cages prior to leaving. Sometimes Missy does not want to go in cage and tries to climb up to Erinís shoulder or nips/grabs my hand/arm. She never out-and-out bites me (thankfully), and I continue to put her on my hand and place her inside her cage, encouraging her to step up on her perch. I try not to reinforce any negative behavior such as petting her when she wonít get in or walking away. I remain persistent and eventually she will get into her cage, upon which I give her lots of praise and a scritch (if she will let me Ė sometimes sheís to pissed off at me). Ironically, she never screams once she is in her cage Ė she either starts playing or sitting on her perch. The other 2 birds are never a problem.

I think that the antecedent in this ďdramaĒ is my changing clothes in preparation for leaving. Initially, I started putting the birds in their cages prior to changing pants because every time I went to put on my pants, Missy would jump on the floor and get aggressive, tugging on my pants and biting at my feet. That helped for a while. Next I started trying to put a food reward (grape) in her cage, showing it to her, and then asking her to go in. That worked for 2-3 days, then she started acting out when I put a new shirt on. Today, I placed a baby banana (showing it to her) and a shredder toy in her cage prior to putting her in her cage, and it worked.

So, I guessing I need to have a variable ďarsenalĒ of enticements to get her to want to go into her cage, since removing the antecedent (me going to work) isnít an option, unless she wants to pay the bills .

We are owned by Keesha (U2), Missy (M2), & Chloe (African Red-Bellied)
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny