Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#209317 - 09/21/09 03:42 AM Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
When I realized what ABA could do for people and their birds, I set out to learn as much as I could so I could pass it on. I want to help birds stay in their homes and ABA can do that if the caregiver is willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to do it. My feelings aside, I would still strongly encourage anyone interested to sign up for the Living and Learning on-line course with Susan Friedman and Lee McGuire. I think there is an 18 month waiting list but that time will pass quickly. It really is worthwhile. For me it was life changing and the relationship I have with my birds is unbelievable because of it.

Now it's showtime!!!

What is it and why do we need it? The process of analyzing the ABCs is called a Functional Analysis. There are 3 tenets of applied behaviour analysis. These are very, very important. Memorize them.

And remember this: To change behaviour we must change the environment, not the bird.

1. Behaviour has function.

2. Future behaviour is related to past consequences.

3. Thoughtful arrangement of the environment enables us to facilitate and maintain successful behaviours.

The ABCs of behaviour are the smallest meaningful unit.

Antecedent are those stimuli, events or conditions that occur immediately before the behaviour, which function to set the occasion for the bird to exhibit the behaviour.

Of course, you know behaviour and when doing your Functional Analysis, behaviour is always filled in first.

Consequences are those stimuli, events or conditions that occur immediately after the behaviour, which function as feedback about how to behave again in the future.

So it goes like this:

A means antecedent
B means behaviour
C means consequence

And then there is Possible Future Behaviour or what is likely to happen in the future given the consequence.

Any questions on this?

Bev

We will be spending a lot of time on this. This is like putting up the foundation for your house. Without a foundation, you can't have a house. You need the foundation of a Functional Analysis to change unwanted behaviour or get wanted behaviour.

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#209527 - 09/25/09 03:47 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
The fact that Gypsy has resorted to an attempt at biting me is 100% my fault. She is merely trying to tell me that you are not spending enough time with me and I don't want to do that. The solution is very simple. What bugs me is that my behaviour has put her in this position because all it takes is a few minutes of my time and the fact is I enjoy it as much as she does. Humans like to skip steps and when you are dealing with birds, there is a price to pay. The good news is that I can use what I have learned about ABA and modify the behaviour. In this case, I can eliminate the behaviour as long as Gypsy's attention tank has been filled before I ask her to step up to go to bed.

Bev's Functional Analysis:

Background: It's time for the birds to go to bed.

Antecedent: Bev presents hand to Gypsy
Behaviour: Gypsy tries to bite Bev
Consequence: Bev walks away

Possible Future Behaviour: Gypsy will try to bite Bev more often.

Now I already know the answer to this and have already implemented a strategy and as I suspected, it is an attention deficit thing.

Solution:

Background: Bev spends 5 minutes scratching Gypsy's head and singing and dancing with her.

Antecedent: Bev presents hand
Behaviour: Gypsy steps up
Consequence: Bev tells Gypsy what a good girl she is

Possible Future Behaviour: Gypsy will step up more often to get the attention she finds so reinforcing from Bev.

OK, let's see what you have.

Bev

Last edited by ZazuSally; 09/25/09 03:48 PM. Reason: added something

#209572 - 09/26/09 02:32 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Backround: Morning chores are done and I just got Alex out of his cage

Antecedent: Alex and I are sitting on my computer chair (at my desk)
Behavior: Alex bites (to get access to items on Janet's desk)
Consequence: Janet gets up

Probable Future Behavior: Alex will continue to bite (so she will get up and he can gain access to her desk)

The fix:

Backround: Before getting Alex out of his cage, Janet clears everything (of interest to Alex) off her desk

Antecedent: Alex and I are sitting on the computer chair
Behavior: Alex lowers head
Consequence: Janet scratches Alex's head

Probable future behavior: Alex will continue to lower his head to get scratches

A simple rearranging of the environment (removing the items of interest to Alex on my desk) solved the problem and was the least intrusive method of eliminating the behavior I did not want - being bitten.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#209603 - 09/27/09 05:46 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: EchosMom]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Right - I've rewritten this quite a few times and am still having a hard time. I'm working on it and will post tomorrow...

(Sunday)

(every situation I want to change has the same solution - TIME)

Background. It's bedtime for the household. Juliana and Fancy have spent little time together; but the night ritual has not been skipped (walkabout, preening)

Antecedent: Juliana puts hand and Fancy in cage and asks Fancy to step up onto her sleeping perch.
Behaviour: Fancy says no or tries to climb up my arm
Consequence: Juliana and Fancy go walkabout the house.

Possible Future Behaviour: Fancy will continue to say no until her attention meter is filled.

Solution: more active play time with Fancy and no rushing the bedtime ritual.

Last edited by Fancy'sMum; 09/27/09 04:31 PM. Reason: attempted Antecedent Analysis as promised

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

Until you have loved an animal, your soul will stay unawakened
#209608 - 09/27/09 07:44 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Good try, Juliana!! Does she actually say no? And I think you realizing that you are not spending enough time with her is excellent. I think you've done a pretty good job on the Functional Analysis. The behaviour is Fancy tries to climb up your arm? The antecedent which is immediately before the attempt to climb up your arm is the request for a step down on the perch and if indeed it is your attention (consequence) that she is after, the fact that you and Fancy go for a walkabout makes the Possible Future Behaviour that you gave spot on.

And your solution is also spot on. Take a few extra minutes to spend with Fancy before you actually put her in her cage and see what happens.

Well done, Juliana!!!

Bev

Have you been spending more one-on-one time with Fancy? And if you have, how has that been going?

#209609 - 09/27/09 08:07 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Morning Bev

Yes she actually says "no" or she will try to climb my arm - not both but the message is the same. Therefore I do see two behaviours but they happen in reaction to the same antecedent. I see what you mean about the "right before the behaviour". That's the part that has me stumped - I'm not stripping it down far enough.

We have been spending more time together. It has helped tremendously. Her unwanted behaviours (bites, shoe attacks) have been non-existent this week as she's been getting more time from me. She really is a good girl. I'm the problem laugh It is interesting to note that she doesn't have these moments with my husband. He does no active play or training with her, they hang out a lot, and she has never bitten him; and always does as he asks. I admit that I am jealous!

Thanks again - will be following this thread as others participate.

Juliana

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

#209616 - 09/28/09 03:30 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Juliana, the climbing up your arm or a clear no is perfect. I don't know what else you could be looking for. We could have cleaned it up a bit but let's not even worry about that right now. Does your husband spend any where near the amount of time with Fancy that you do? The relationship between Fancy and your husband is fantastic and you should see that as a gift because so many of these birds pick just one person. That's not good for the bird or the person but with ABA you can vastly improve the relationship you have with her and that's what we are here for. I think you are doing fantastic!!!

I never thought she was anything but the best bird in the world. LOL Behind every unwanted behaviour in a bird is a human who doesn't know any better. We cause them, so it's us who should fix them. There is no such thing as a bad bird. That's why ABA is so amazing.

Bev

#209617 - 09/28/09 04:38 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: ZazuSally
Behind every unwanted behaviour in a bird is a human who doesn't know any better.

I LOVE that statement Bev!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#209632 - 09/28/09 02:43 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Why thank you, EM!!!

Just read a post on another list about someone telling a woman with a screaming bird how she cured her wild caught grey of screaming. She yelled at the bird to "knock if off" and then hit the cage with a broom, just once. That she has the audacity to suggest that on a positive reinforcement list is absolutely disgusting and calls herself a positive reinforcement trainer. Nothing worked she said. She has her head up her butt. That poor bird taken out of the wild (don't even get me started on that one) and she smacks his cage with a broom. She is many things but a positiver reinforcement trainer is not one of them. If she had utilized ABA correctly, she could have changed that screaming behaviour. If a behaviour increases or is maintained, it is being reinforced. She's lucky she didn't end up with a phobic grey and that still might happen as the bird is only 2 years old. Taken from the wild at 14 months. She lives in Turkey.

That poor bird.

Bev

#209681 - 09/29/09 02:56 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
I'm waiting patiently for everyone to give me their Functional Analysis.

You aren't going to be tested on this you know and if you want a better relationship with your bird, now is the time to learn.

Bev

#209704 - 09/29/09 10:38 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
Abea’s functional analysis:

Background: Early evening before bedtime, Emmy sits on her stand nearby while Abea uses the computer--about 10 minutes. Abea concentrates more on the computer than on Emmy.

Antecedent: Abea uses the computer
Behavior: After several minutes, Emmy quietly gets on Abea’s shoulder and sticks a toe in Abea’s ear
Consequence: Abea reaches a hand to her shoulder and scratches Emmy’s head

Possible future behavior: Emmy will get on Abea’s shoulder and stick a toe in Abea’s ear more often

Solution:

Background: Abea spends 5 minutes scratching Emmy’s head and using “sweet talk” before going to the computer area.

Antecedent: Abea scratches Emmy’s head as soon as they are seated near the computer
Behavior: Emmy stays on her stand
Consequence: Abea scratches Emmy’s head and tells Emmy that she’s a good bird. Abea repeats the scratch and praise periodically when Emmy is on her stand.

Possible future behavior: Emmy will stay on her stand for 10 minutes

#209725 - 09/30/09 05:11 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: emmy]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Eddie's Functional Analysis

Background: Eddie will not allow me to put my hands near him without biting.

Antecedent:When I attempt to feed,clean cage or get him off his play stand he will strike at me.

Behavior: I now show him one of his favorite treats and he knows that if he strikes he won't get the treat. I had been giving treat before trying above things and he would drop and strike then climb down to get what he dropped.

I have been making progress,slow but it's progress. I also give a treat without looking for something in return,which he seems to enjoy. Another new thing with him is that he now looks for my attention by dancing and seems to be doing it for a treat which I give him.

I know that I an doing something wrong. grin

#209737 - 09/30/09 03:05 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Good try, Abea and Joe but remember the antecedent is what sets the occasion for the behaviour to happen. And remember contiguous and contingent. Contiguous has to do with the timing of the consequence or reward. When trying to modify behaviour, the reward should be immediate when the requested behaviour has been given. I ask Zazu to step up, she does, she immediately gets a pine nut and I mean seconds after the behaviour. This way learning takes place. Now contingent means if you do this, you get that. So the reward of the pine nut is contingent on Zazu stepping up. Make sense so far.

Abea, what is actually the behaviour that gets Emmy the head scratch? Remember it sets the occasion for the head scratch.

Abea, you aren't really having any issues with Emmy, right? You've done very, very well with ABA.

Joe, let's break it down. The behaviour you are trying to modify/reduce/eliminate is what? Always do the target behaviour first. Always.

Any questions?

Bev

#209750 - 09/30/09 04:54 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
Thanks, Bev.

Emmy trained me in very short order to scratch her head when she stuck her toe in my ear. As soon as she put her toe in my ear I would reach up and she would quickly put her head against my hand and I would scratch her. Looking at the solution part of my functional analysis--there is no one specific behavior for Emmy to get a scratch. The head scratches are used to give her periodic attention to keep her on her stand and away from my ear.

You’re right--no real issues with Emmy. Right now I’m looking for things to work on that might help make things easier day to day or in the future. Examples:

1) I’d like her to let me touch her feet and toes so I can file her nails.

2) I would like her to take a drop of water from a syringe. Hopefully this would make things easier if/when she ever needs to be medicated. She was on antibiotics frequently when younger and we had to towel her to give her meds. Now if she sees a syringe she flies back to her cage and stays there until it’s out of sight. (Got this idea from reading about BE2Cassie--thank you Nancy.)

Abea

#209752 - 09/30/09 05:37 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: emmy]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Good observations so it is Emmy putting her toe in your ear that triggers the reward which is the head scratch, right? So the behaviour was Emmy puts toe in Abea's ear. You said you immediately give her a head scratch.

Desensitization is the way to go for a nail trim. I use a really coarse emory board and I started by offering Zazu a favourite treat on the emory board. You can use shaping and chaining to get her used to a nail file. Does she allow you to touch her feet at all?

Abea, same thing with the syringe but what I would do is use that syringe as a microphone and pretend I'm singing into it. If Emmy tries to look, turn away and tell her it's not for her. This has worked on multiple items with Zazu, Nikki and Gypsy. It sounds silly but it works. It really is a case of using approximations to shape the behaviour I want which is the bird drinking from the syringe. Don't use water though, use organic juice. I give my birds warm, organic grape juice every night. That's like their little glass of antioxidents. You need a more powerful reinforcer than plain old water. Of course, there might be a bird who finds water more reinforcing than juice but if water is something the bird has access to all day then juice should be more of a reinforcer.

Any questions?

Learning how to do a Functional Analysis correctly will help you with any future problem behaviours so it is a very, very, very good tool to have in your toolbox.

Bev

#209770 - 10/01/09 07:25 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
Thank you for your suggestions, Bev. Emmy lets me briefly touch her feet when she is away from her cage. I’ll try the treat with an emory board and singing with the syringe. Yes, she always wants what she can’t have. I’ll also look for other things she will drink. I haven’t really introduced anything else for her to drink so right now it’s just water and only in her cage. We’ll take little steps at Emmy’s pace.

Abea

#209771 - 10/01/09 09:37 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: emmy]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
So when she allows you to touch her feet, however briefly Abea, reinforce it by giving her a treat or something she values so she associates good things with the foot touch.

Bev

PS: Can you videotape yourself singing into the syringe so we can see? LOL It really is effective with my birds though and I don't care how silly it is. I'm the woman who put velcro around her ankles because Zazu liked it. LOL

#209772 - 10/01/09 09:39 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Would everyone (anyone) like for us to break it down and explain in more detail the componenets of a Functional Analysis - the Background information, Antecedent, Behaviour, Consequence and Possible Future Behaviour?

#209775 - 10/02/09 12:47 AM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: EchosMom]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Yes please - I'm OK with Background, Behaviours, Consequence and PFB - it's the Antecedent that trips me up. And to be honest, when writing mine I really wanted to explain everything in detail but I've noticed that the examples Bev and EM gave were more concise.

Thanks

Juliana

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

#209792 - 10/02/09 03:21 PM Re: Functional Analysis - September 20, 2009 [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
I am sorry everyone, I was gettng way ahead of myself. We absolutely will go back over each and every step until everyone understands and please, please if you have any suggestions on how we can make this better for you, let us know. I know it can seem overwhelming but once you get it, you will see how simple it really is and I'm going to tell you, it took me awhile before I really got it. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I didn't understand what was being taught and that's why I'm doing it differently. This is all about helping you have a better relationship with your birds and you can if you start using the tools you learn from Applied Behavioural Analysis. That is a promise. Don't be afraid to say you don't understand something. If I had a dime for every time I had to say that, I could be retired and living in Bora Bora. LOL There's still lots I don't understand but I keep reading and reading and going back over stuff until I do understand.

I know you can do this.

Juliana, if I do something that you don't understand, please ask. You stepped up to the plate for Fancy and attempted something that I should not have asked you to do without completely understanding what the steps were to do it. Well done!!! You should be really proud of yourself for that, OK?

Any questions before we start taking our first baby step to learning about ABA?

Bev

EM, if I get ahead of myself again, you have my permission to reign me in. LOL

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny