Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#211914 - 11/10/09 07:20 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Absolutely Joe, someone taught him how to bite to protect himself or because they didn't "listen" to him when he said I don't want to do that and because it worked in the past, he continued to use it. Now he does not need to do it. You know Joe, were it me, I would turn that Bad Ben into something else and the way I would do it is I would start singing "Good Ben, good Ben, what you going to do, what you going to do when they come for you". You know the theme song from that cop show. If he gets more reinforcement (your attention if he finds that reinforcing) than he gets when he says "bad Ben", it should turn around pretty fast if you are consistent and then you can pat yourself on the back over and over again. LOL

Do you have nicknames for your birds?

1. Zazu = Zazzy Pazzy Puddin Pie
2. Gypsy = Gypsy Bipsy Darlin girl, you are so very pearl
3. Sally Bally Bo Bally
4. Nikki = PumperNikki Bird

My birds get really animated when I use their nicknames. It's our special thing.

Just last weekend, I bought 8 huge Crispin apples. My favourite. Washed them and put them on the freezer to dry off while I was doing dishes. Now this certainly wasn't one of the brightest things I've ever done. Zazu was hungry and she decided to take a bite out of every apple. Now was I happy, no but was it Zazu's fault, absolutely not. Now I have to eat apples with brown spots where Zazu tested them for me. LOL I really should have known better because Zazu does love apple.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#211922 - 11/10/09 10:24 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
That I have,it's "yay Ben good boy" when he gets excited as his food dish is getting filled. I have turned around all my adoptions except for Eddie and I will not give up.

#212381 - 11/18/09 07:52 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
I am pleased to post that Eddie stepped to my hand tonight and lifted his wing for a scratch. I thought it was too good to be true so I gave him a little scratch then offered him a banana chip which he didn't want.................what he wanted was to nail me good with a bite. No blood only two bruises,my ego and my thumb. grin

#212386 - 11/18/09 03:10 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Joe, considering the history you have with Eddie so far, I would not have attempted to touch him at this point. Just allowing him to step on your hand and then off was major from his point of view. This gives Eddie free choice and you don't get bitten.

And Joe, you know what they say about "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is".

I think you are definitely heading in the right direction. Just some tweaks here and there.

Bev

#212486 - 11/20/09 08:31 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Well I thought I would offer Eddie my hand again today to see if he would step up again. When I opened the cage he stood in the same spot and I offered my hand and he stepped right up without hesitation. I held him for a couple of minutes and put him on his play stand for about a hour. I got his banana chip container out and let him see me put a few chips in his bowl in the cage and he got excited and started pacing back and forth on the stand with his crest up. I then went over to him and offered my hand to which he stepped onto gladly and I was able to return him to his cage and he went right to the dish and got the chip. I was glad that this time was painless and might be better than allowing him to take it from my fingers. Bev,is this a OK way of rewarding his behavior? The more I thought about it it's not really rewarding or is it?

Last edited by Doubleyolk; 11/20/09 08:34 AM.
#212493 - 11/20/09 03:38 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Joe, delivery of the reinforcer does not matter so much as timing (contiguity) and the if/then scenario (contingency). If you do this, then you get that. Do you bridge the step up with a "Good Eddie" so that he knows the treats are coming. There was a study where they waited 20 seconds before they rewarded pigeons and apparently they never could get the pigeons to do the requested behaviour but when they rewarded the pigeon right away, they got the requested behaviour in minutes.

A behaviour is being reinforced if it is maintained or increases. So if Eddie continues to step up, to go back to his cage then the banana chip is reinforcing to him. Does this make sense, Joe?

Bev

Last edited by ZazuSally; 11/20/09 08:20 PM. Reason: Deleted double sentence

#212497 - 11/20/09 07:51 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Yes,it does make sense. Praise has always been a part of my interaction with all my birds and with added excitement to my voice and it has worked well all the time,well almost. I always say "yay (name) good boy" and clap which is always repeated by my CAG because he hears it so much.Why have birds if your not going to interact with them in a positive and healthy manner?

BTW...No nicknames here,that's a female thing. LOL

Last edited by Doubleyolk; 11/20/09 07:59 PM. Reason: Added BTW
#212498 - 11/20/09 08:21 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
So just keep doing what you are doing, Joe, and let's see how it goes. Time and repetition will tell if you are on the right track with Eddie. I would not attempt to touch him for awhile. Make yourself very reinforcing to him first, OK?

Bev

#214586 - 01/04/10 01:59 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Things have been much better with Eddie and his rewards for good behavior. He looks forward to banana and now knows what is expected of him to get one. It has been a long time since he has has a aggression lunge. He still is reluctant to step up,but I'm good with that. I am able to let him out of his cage and he doesn't feel the need to attack me and will fly to his playstand and not to my face.

Last edited by Doubleyolk; 01/04/10 02:03 AM.
#214637 - 01/05/10 04:28 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Joe, a step up asks alot of a bird, people just do not realize it. Would you like to work on that?

You have come so far with Eddie. A lot further than you thought you ever would, right?

So why not go for the gold? You can do this. ABA can do this for you and Eddie.

Bev

#214646 - 01/05/10 10:26 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Bev,yes I have made more progress and wonder if asking him to do more will set us back. Eddie's eyes will bulge more than normal when he is in his defense mode and still shows some signs of this. I think I am willing to move on your suggestions.

#214678 - 01/06/10 05:44 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
No, Joe, it will not set you back because you are not taking from Eddie but asking. Huge difference. It will be his choice. You just stack the cards in your favour by using things he values. Eddie currency as it were. LOL We know banana chips work. Got any more. Doesn't need to be food.

Bev

#215016 - 01/12/10 12:45 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Eddie loves food and his treats. The only other thing is his out of cage time which he enjoys. He gets 2-3 hours a day during the week and 6-7 on weekends.

#215105 - 01/13/10 03:23 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Sorry for the short reply,Bev. I seem to be having problems replying to threads and logging in. It has always been real slow but it seems to be taking longer lately.

I'm thinking about trying to get Eddie to step up when asked to,but here's where I'm at with him. He is unclipped and enjoys being flighted.He has always flown to his play stand and back to his cage or where ever he wants to be. I'm not sure whether stepping up will be successful without a good clip because he came to me with the first four flights clipped and was still able to fly with ease.When my daughters take him out he will on occasion run up their arm and use their shoulder as a launch pad.

#215107 - 01/13/10 03:56 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Two of my birds are flighted Joe and will step up from anywhere (most of the time and you have to allow for this). When it's important, they always step up. Sometimes they don't want to and I just allow them that. With ABA, it makes no difference whether the bird is flighted or clipped, what matters is using the right bird (Eddie's of course) currency.

But we need to start off with something smaller than the step up. This will take time, shaping and chaining. We will start off by getting small approximations and I will show you what that looks like on the weekend Joe. We will come up with a plan.

Deal?

Bev

Last edited by ZazuSally; 01/13/10 03:56 AM. Reason: added something

#215121 - 01/13/10 06:44 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
All seven of my birds are flighted and all but Eddie will step up without hesitation. I will check back the weekend and get your instructions.

#215199 - 01/14/10 03:14 PM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Joe, can you tell me what Eddie does on a daily basis from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to bed and exactly what his daily diet is?

Bev

You said "Eddie loves food and his treats". That bodes well for us Joe and especially for Eddie. Gives us Eddie currency or a primary reinforcer. Can you name 5 foods that he is particularly fond of. If not, 3 will do.

Last edited by ZazuSally; 01/14/10 03:16 PM. Reason: added something

#215287 - 01/16/10 01:01 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Eddie is up and most days out of his cage at sunrise.He will spend 3-4 hours out of the cage after he eats.Mornings he has a game of shred up the new pan papers as they are being replaced.We goof until Eddie decides it's war for a unknown reason. Afternoons they all head to their sleep perch's and it's lock down till 6pm food time and out of cage time until he decides about 9pm he wants to be covered now.

Diet is breads and some type of fruit in morning. Veggies and bean,rice,cooked pasta at night. They always have a seed mix and pellets they eat during the day.Then there are those people treats they always seem to mooch.

His currency right now are banana chips,coconut pieces and dried cranberries.

#215389 - 01/17/10 06:53 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: Doubleyolk]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Joe, check out this video from www.parrotenrichment.com

It is Kris Porter's site and she has added lots of great stuff to it.

Amazingly enough, it's a video on teaching the step up. Isn't that serendipity or something. LOL

When I tried to watch it, it was weird and all kinds of crazy colours. Let me know if you have that problem so I can tell Kris about it.

http://www.parrotenrichment.com/trainingisfun.html

Let me know what you think.

Bev

#215434 - 01/18/10 02:42 AM Re: Eddie..E2 Aggression [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
That is an excellent video Bev!

ETA: I made it a sticky.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny