Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 45 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#170720 - 07/23/08 12:19 AM From Hell to.............. Hell!  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Many of you are familiar with the 31 Macaws rescued from a field in Orange County, Virginia. The court has now decided that these birds will be transported to a breeding facility in Florida for 18 months to give the owners a chance to raise the $20,000 to repay all the vet bills required due to the conditions the birds were found in. Once again money speaks. The birds are nothing but property.

It also appears that this travesty of justice was arranged by a rescue/sanctuary called The Gabriel Foundation of Aspen, Colorado. The Florida breeder appears to be on the Board of The Gabriel Foundation. I am getting calls from members that have supported these people and are now outraged. There is no remedy for it, from now on, READ THE FINE PRINT! This statement came from their Mission Statement:

Quote:
The Gabriel Foundation is pleased to support responsible and ethical breeders who implement the very best standards of care for the needs of the psittacine and parrot-like birds raised and housed in their aviaries.

So..... donor beware! I must admit, that statement floored me. There appears to be no good outcome for these large birds but there is time for us to learn TO WHOM we are giving money and support.

#170722 - 07/23/08 12:59 AM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
AMEN Charlie!!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#170723 - 07/23/08 01:12 AM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: EchosMom]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Well isn't that a conflict of interest and kind of hypocritical. HOW ON EARTH CAN SOMEONE CALL THEMSELVES A RESCUE AND SUPPORT BREEDING... What a shame or sham however ya wanna look at it.

Thank you for posting this so that more people can become aware.

#170762 - 07/23/08 04:35 AM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: rockinseattle]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Unbelievable...thanks for sharing!

Gail
#170770 - 07/23/08 05:02 AM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Bird Mom]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
I never really liked the Grabiel Foundation after I learned they dont do proper quaratine... Their facility should allow proper quaratine. Or blood test the bird BEFORE it comes in.. not put it in a room with already In Quaratine birds and then blood test or wait for results as the bird is in the room with the other birds. WTH?!?! I can say I have dont so err before and not properly quaratined a bird.. but Im no real rescue. I just did what I can at the time.

I just dont get it.. how can they be supportive of "good breeders" as even "good ones" have baby birds no matter what, bad, good, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, but how the birds are kept and raised.. people who buy the birds are partially at fault too because they also determine if the bird will have an OK life or not. HYPOCRITES!

BTW everyone.. many rescues ARE supportive of "Good breeders". You need to be very careful about "rescues" nowadays too. frown

ALSO how can raising $20,000 insure that these birds will be HAPPY and BETTER OFF than before?? She is just going to "hide away" and breed these birds in the same conditions.. but she's now going to be a bit "smarter" with it all...
Mercedez

Last edited by Bokka-pooh; 07/23/08 05:05 AM.
#170787 - 07/23/08 12:39 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
It sounds to me like the breeder from TGF will be keeping the birds. How are the original owners going to come up with that kind of money? They lost their house and supposedly filed for bankruptsy. If they're in such financial ruin no one is going to loan them that kind of money for birds. It's a lose lose situation for the birds no matter how you look at it.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#170801 - 07/23/08 04:41 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Hmm I posted something similar on another bird board to bring awareness to this. Someone who is "In" with TGF says

Quote:
A breeder, who is also a board member and long time supporter of TGF, has generously offered the use of her her facility and agreed to build new flights to provide a safe haven for these birds. These birds will NOT BE BRED or set up to breed. They WILL RECEIVE shelter, any necessary veterinary care, be provided for by trained, observant staff, fed a healthy, varied diet and live protected in large aviaries where they can remain with their bird friends and flock and recover for the time that TGF has them in its care.

Mercedez

#170824 - 07/23/08 07:58 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

So what? The birds were already being cared for by a REAL rescue/sanctuary. Now they're at a breeding facility. The part that bothers me is not how they will be cared for, I have no doubt they will receive shelter, food and proper care.

The first line is the part that bothers me. A BREEDER, WHO IS ALSO A BOARD MEMBER AND LONG TIME SUPPORTER OF THE GABRIEL FOUNDATION...

I want everyone to know that the Gabriel Foundation supports breeding. Be aware of that if/when you contribute money or relinquish a bird to them.

Quote:
A breeder, who is also a board member and long time supporter of TGF, has generously offered the use of her her facility and agreed to build new flights to provide a safe haven for these birds. These birds will NOT BE BRED or set up to breed. They WILL RECEIVE shelter, any necessary veterinary care, be provided for by trained, observant staff, fed a healthy, varied diet and live protected in large aviaries where they can remain with their bird friends and flock and recover for the time that TGF has them in its care.

#170826 - 07/23/08 08:22 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Mona]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
That is my thoughts too.Not to mention the birds also face being returned to the evil hand that caused the trauma to them in the first place.Like mentioned before...it took allot longer than a few months to collect the crud on the bottoms of the cages.As well as the neglect for the health in the first place.Why would it be okay to do that to any animal.they are saying it is okay.If they loved the birds so much that would have never happened.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#170903 - 07/24/08 01:36 AM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Janny]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
A BREEDER is generously going to offer her facility to keep the birds??? Sounds like the WOLF is going to let the THREE LITTLE PIGS stay at his house!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#171200 - 07/25/08 04:15 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Donnalee]  
dmdonna196334 Offline
dmdonna196334  Offline

OMG - I wish i had saw this before I had put a flyer on my website that the Gabriel foundation had sent me advertising a upcoming event.
Well its now been removed.i can not support this.
I feel so bad for those macaws.
Thanks for posting this information...
I have never been to the gabriel foundation.But I use to look up to them for what they did.
This changes alot!!! thanks donna

#171210 - 07/25/08 05:14 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Charlie]  
Sunny2 Offline
Sunny2  Offline

I'm new here but decided to post and hope I don't get my head bit off. I went to the TGF site and I don't understand why only part of the mission statement has been provided on this forum. Doesn't that end up taking it out of context so giving it a different meaning? I have talked to TGF about this statement years ago and I don't think gathering a lynching mob here is good for anyone, mostly birds who are really the ones that you are hurting here? If you read the entire statement just how many breeders does that leave to be supportive of? a handful????? if that.

Many of you may not have ever heard of a cyber friend some had Whitewings Farm, Gloria Ridgeway who was a breeder and one those TGF would have supported. In fact her birds went to TGF after she died. Gloria raised cockatoos, greys, amazons and others but as an ethical breeder stopped breeding cockatoos in the late 90's when the problems were coming out. She stopped breeding other birds later on. She posted often about how any bird she hatched was her responsibility forever and she did know where every one of those babies was. She lost track of one bird in all of her years and she said it about killed her and she kept looking. She spent hours on the internet and phone helping us pet owners with our birds and if she didn't know the answer she researched to help. So from what you all are saying here. SHAME ON HER! I don't get it. Read the rest of the statement, go to the source, TGF and ask questions before jumping on your lynching bandwagon. If you stop to *think* you might find the opinions aren't so different after all.

The rest of that statement: BTW "they" means breeders

"They are dedicated to the environmental and psychological nurturance and enrichment of these birdsí lives, pursuing continuing education in the fields of aviculture, husbandry, behavior and veterinary care.

These persons take into consideration the need to make a difference in the welfare of each and every bird that they place. They provide wide-ranging educational and supportive care with the birdís lifetime welfare as its goal. They remain a continued resource for the birds and to their human caretakers that facilitates the success of the human/parrot bond. "

And has anyone asked about where the VA birds will be housed? Is the person still breeding, getting out of the business, just why this person is involved? Could it be they want to try and help these birds and in that way give something back?

Sorry this is my first post and don't want to cause problems but I'm having trouble understanding what looks like jumping to conclusions.

Sunny2

#171211 - 07/25/08 05:36 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Sunny2]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Alot of folks on here have supported TGF over the years. No bandwagon here. Most of us feel as though we were kicked in the stomache over this situation. Please take the time to review our agenda and respect our views. http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292
"These persons take into consideration the need to make a difference in the welfare of each and every bird that they place. They provide wide-ranging educational and supportive care with the birdís lifetime welfare as its goal. They remain a continued resource for the birds and to their human caretakers that facilitates the success of the human/parrot bond."
Can you explain then where these breeders are when there are so many birds in shelters?
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#171213 - 07/25/08 05:45 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
The breeders are creating the virus. They are saying that they are helping people and birds deal with it. They created it.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#171216 - 07/25/08 06:04 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Regarding this particular event and the most recent statement that has appeared on TGF's and the statement that "these persons(breeders) take into consideration the welfare of each bird that they place". For example: Luv them Birds is a "closed" facility (not open to the public). They only sell wholesale...and the babies that are sold are unweaned. So "they" have no clue where the babies they pump into the industry actually end up. But, as statistics tell us...many end up neglected, abused and in rescue.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#171230 - 07/25/08 08:06 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Sunny2]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Sunny, since you are new here and this is a private site, you have already been given our agenda.

THERE ARE TOO MANY BLEEDING PSITTACINES BEING BRED! THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH CAREGIVERS FOR THEM. YOU ARE SAYING "BREED THEM AND THE GABRIEL FOUNDATION WILL TAKE CARE OF THEM" (AS LONG AS SOMEONE PAYS FOR IT)!

Get a life! Away from here. Are you being discriminated against? Who cares!

Here is the latest Gabriel Foundation sputtering:

http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/documents/TGFPositionStatementResponsibleBreedingPractices.pdf

While I was banning this idiot, I noticed the email address:

Iluvmybirds....@....

How original!

Last edited by Charlie; 07/25/08 08:10 PM. Reason: add
#171232 - 07/25/08 08:18 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Charlie]  
Tooville Offline
Tooville  Offline

Way to go Charlie

Where Toos are #1
#171233 - 07/25/08 08:32 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Tooville]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Gloria Ridgeway, from what I read about her and based on articles she wrote, seemed like a wonderful person. She quit breeding cockatoos as do most cockatoo breeders who truly care for the birds and not just the money they bring.

The big farm these macaws are going to is run by someone with around 1000 birds. These huge breeding operations are primarily responsible for all the miserable cockatoos out there. It's nice that she's housing these macaws, but there does seem to be a conflict of interest here. Fox, henhouse, etc.

#171235 - 07/25/08 10:05 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Garnet]  
Java_One Offline
Java_One  Offline

Hawaii
Charlie you are and always have been my hero!!!

#171253 - 07/25/08 11:36 PM Re: From Hell to.............. Hell! [Re: Java_One]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The Daily Progress has started a forum regarding this case/story. They are asking for public comments.

http://www.mydailyprogress.com/index.php/forums/charlottesville/viewthread/4/

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny