Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208410 - 09/03/09 08:42 PM How old should a baby Goffin be to wean?
CherylA Offline

Loc: California
We bought a baby Goffin last Thursday, Sept. 27, 2009. The owner of the bird store assured us that the bird was fully weaned. The hatch date was not included on the bill of sale and we didn't notice it at the time. We live about 2 hours away from the store. By noon the following day, our baby was crying and crying and crying. We recognized this cry as we have several other kinds of birds, some of which we purchased as babies as well as raise baby cockatiels. Because it was late in the afternoon when I arrived home from work and my husband, who is retired, informed me of the consistent crying and the bird not appearing to want to eat anything, I pulled out the Exact and mixed some up. Sure enough, when I offered it to her/him (haven't recvd the DNA back yet), on a small spoon, the bird tried to inhale the food, spoon and all. I have since contacted the store of which swears up and down the bird was fully weaned by at least a month and that I have probalby regressed the birds by offering it the Exact. I finally got the hatch date and it was April 13, 2009. I asked the manager if that wasn't a bit young for a cockatoo to be weaned and she told me that the smaller cockatoos can be weaned at a much younger age than the larger ones. I question that answer. Anyway, long story short, I have continued to offer the Exact to the bird until it decides it doesn't want it anymore and it seems to have remedied all the crying and the bird appears to have much more energy and is quite happy. Was I right to do this? I feel I was, and feel a little put out by the fact the owner told me I probably "regressed" the bird by doing that. Sounds kind of heartless to me. BTW, this is my first post and I'm so happy to have found a site to read others points of view and ideas. Thanks for reading, hope to hear from some of you soon wink Cheryl

#208411 - 09/03/09 08:45 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
CherylA Offline

Oooops, The purchase date on the birds was August 27, 2009, not Sept....
Cheryl

#208412 - 09/03/09 08:58 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Loc: Covington, LA USA
That store is lying through their teeth! It can take a year, or more, to abundantly wean a cockatoo to the point of actually having any self or flock security.

We do not give hand raising advise. We are against the whole idea of selling cockatoos because of exactly what you are going through. I hope you have a good avian vet and I hope you consult with him/her immediately to ensure this young bird can at least have a chance of thriving.

Good luck!

#208413 - 09/03/09 09:03 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Florida, USA
Approximately a year (or more). When the chick is ready, s/he will let you know.

Abundance Weaning and Fledging by Wilhelm (Bill) Kiesselbach

Please take a few minutes to read our Agenda.

The petstore lied to you about this chick being full weaned, which isn't surprising. They need to move the chicks they have out to make room for more. That's how they earn their living and they don't give a damn about the babies they are damaging.

The best thing you can do is to return this chick to the store and demand a refund, or at least a partial one. But I also know that the likelihood of that happening is probably nil. Years ago I made the mistake of buying a cockatoo chick and found this site and was advised to do the same thing. I didn't (obviously) and I got the help here that I needed anyway, just as you will. Finding Mytoos opened my eyes to the plight of captive parrots and the rescue community.

This chick is lucky that he at least landed in a home that knew enough to know the hungry cries of a baby bird. Many aren't so fortunate and suffer severe consequences.

As I said, since this chick is already in your home, we will help to answer any questions you have. But we do ask that you not challenge the agenda by defending any part of the bird trade industry.

The archives on this site are extensive and everything relating to cockatoo care has been discussed over the years. The search engine is a valuable tool. Read, read, read! You won't be sorry you did.

I hope that the next time you decide to bring another bird into your home, you will choose to give one in rescue, or in need of rehoming, another opportunity for a good life.

Be sure to visit our mainsite also. Mytoos.com

ETA: Charlie, we must have been replying at the same time.

Edited by EchosMom (09/03/09 11:09 PM)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

#208419 - 09/03/09 11:22 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: EchosMom]
CherylA Offline

I want to thank you all for answering my plight so quickly. I will indeed check the archives and gleen all that I can to help my chick thrive. I will be working with hm/her daily as well as my husband and we will help her to grow and become part of our flock. And yes, I have a wonderful aviary doctor that I will be taking her to for a checkup and give her the background of our purchase. We had never gone to this particular bird shop and won't be back. I do most of our business with another shop that is very reputable and deals in all birds, many being of the nature of people just bringing them in because they don't want them anymore. We have received many of those from her; a 15yr old Timneh whose owner had died, a male Senegal whose owner was moving, a female Senegal found in a WalMart parking lot, a 17 yr ringneck that lost his owner and mate, a parolette whose owner didn't want because it became bitey, a green check conure whose owner said she was bitey, a female Sun Conure whose owner said she was bitey, a male Nanday Conure that was kept in a cage in a back room for 15 years, a female Nanday Conure whose owner did not have time for her anymore, a male cockatiel whose owner went to jail, a male cockatiel whose owner was a drug addict and would forget to take care of him for days, a male cockatiel that became bitey towards it's owner, a male ringneck whose owner had died,3 zebra finches from a lady that said she needed to downsize.....soooo, yes, I understand the need for finding those birds that just need loving care and a flock of humans that will love them no matter what and that's what we do. We love each and every one of them and we have purchased some babies as well, a dble ylw headed Amazon, a baraband, some cockatiels, a few finches, a mate for the parolette, a male grey, a female grey, and a female ringneck and now of course the little Goffin cockatoo. We have quite a variety of wonderful pets that we love on, let out, handle and talk to every day as well as handle all the care that goes with keeping things clean and orderly! Each of our birds have a roomy cage unless they are housed together with another that they get along with and we have aviary cages outside on our deck as well. Guess I'll get down off the soap box now and just let you all know that I feel like I'm in a wonderful place here to get the help and support as well as just be able to share with like minded humans that love their flocks. Thank you again for sharing with me. I hope that in the future I can return the favor.
Cheryl and Ike

#208425 - 09/04/09 02:34 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
Kat_Ferrari Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Over 20ish in your flock??? Sounds like you have a lot on your hands...And yes, you did find a place where we love our flocks like we love our families...However, as EM stated, please take the time to read our agenda.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292

While some of your intentions sound noble, you have ultimately fed the industry that pumps out birds purely for profit. You state you have multiple birds that come from poor situations...the reason that happens is because of the pet trade that you fund by purchasing your more exotic species...

You will find a wealth of knowledge here however, please be aware that you will find no "congratulations" for the birds that you have bought.

If you really want to make a difference, start rescuing and stop buying.

Welcome to MyToos...You have much to learn.

#208427 - 09/04/09 04:59 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
BE2Cassie Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Wrentham, MA
Originally Posted By: CherylA
We recognized this cry as we have several other kinds of birds, some of which we purchased as babies as well as raise baby cockatiels.

Please read as much here as you can on the plight of all pet birds being dumped at rescues and animal shelters.
Cockatiels are one of the most common bird found in rescues along with budgies. Please stop adding to the supply of tiels to rescues. 10 pages of tiels on Petfinder.com in our area with many of the listings as multiple birds.
Nancy

#208439 - 09/04/09 09:09 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: BE2Cassie]
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Maine
PLEASE expose this store and the reality of Toos! Write letters to the editor, post signs, email bird people....
PLEASE stop breeding; the shelters do not even list them all~ who has time while caring for these little souls.....

#208442 - 09/04/09 10:35 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Rukesmom]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Good catch Nancy - I missed the raise baby cockatiels part.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#208474 - 09/04/09 09:37 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Kat_Ferrari]
CherylA Offline

I am gratefully and humbly thanking your points that are well made. I was definitely not bragging or plugging the industry that helps create unwanted and mistreated birds. These purchases were made unknowingly in my novice knowledge on how these things occur. Yes, I agree, we have much to learn and will continue to glean from all of you that have been there done that. My house is full that's for sure and none of the birds that are in our flock or shall I say that we belong to, will see the pain or fear that many have already indured from past places they have come from. Nor will the babies that have come to live here see that. Thank you again for your comments and please know that I stand in humility when I make the statements of purchases we have made that we now realize helps feed that state of abuse and mistreated birds. I certainly don't ask for a pat on the back, nor do I want to be acknowledged for being any kind of "know if all". We just want to stand in the gap for our fine feathered friends and love them. Cheryl and Ike

#208495 - 09/05/09 06:22 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
Elliott Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Tennessee
Just keep feeding that little soul till whenever he decides to stop. They will wean themselves when they are ready.

Do inform others about the store's dishonesty. They are not a place I would go to anymore until they see the light.

Just a final note. All of my feathered roomies still get a hand feeding every now and then. They are all over 10 y.o. and enjoy it a lot. One Too is over 30 y.o. and loves the spoon.

#208520 - 09/05/09 03:38 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Elliott]
Janny Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Canada
I do the same Elliot...it sure doesn't hurt to keep up with a spoon feeding as the bird matures. It makes it easier to medicate and it is a great comfort to them.

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer

#208547 - 09/05/09 07:08 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Janny]
drover8 Offline

Loc: big house on the lake
dumb question here...not to hijack the thread or anything but ya'll are talking about handfeeding/weaning/self feeding.
I feed my dogs off of a spoon or fork if I am sharing a meal. Tikoh eats at the table with us for meals, sometimes his food, sometimes mine. I find it easier most of the time to feed him off a spoon (his own, i know my germs are bad for him) instead of handing him piece by piece from my plate. He won't eat my food in his bowls or off my plate, i have to give it to him. He will only eat his food in his bowls.
so anyway....by me hand feeding him is this what ya'll are talking about by not fully weaned/still enjoying the hand feeding....oh & the food is not always mushy stuff like oatmeal either, peas, corn, macaroni...etc.
BTW he is 10 years old and doesn't need me to feed him. He's quite capeable of doing it on his own.
and no, I don't plan on stopping unless one of us stops eating. LOL.
d.

#208551 - 09/05/09 07:23 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: drover8]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Being flock creatures, birds are social eaters. What you describe I consider, social eating, not hand-feeding. I consider hand feeding as giving them something warm and mushy from a spoon while they have your undivided attention.

#208556 - 09/06/09 02:18 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: EchosMom]
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here

Loc: New York
Frankly, I think 20 something birds is way too many. You can't possibly be giving each bird all the time and attention that they need and deserve. Then you go out and buy a baby Goffins? It just doesn't make sense. It sounds like a hoarding situation to me.

Edited by mom2paulie (09/06/09 02:18 AM)

#208569 - 09/06/09 01:06 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: mom2paulie]
CherylA Offline

You certainly have a right to your own opinion. I am the only one in the household that works and I work 4 tens as well as take 3 furloughs off a month. I have plenty of time at home and my husband is retired and home 24 - 7. Say what you may, but our birds get time, attention and individual love daily. Hoarders? I think not!

#208614 - 09/07/09 05:26 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]
Janny Offline

Chained to the Computer

Well I mean lets not jump to conclussions and say someone is a hoarder please. Not a fair thing to do.I have 18 birds (6 of which are finches) but the OP does not that many more than I have and I am far from being a hoarder.Each one of my birds gets ample one on one time and I don't feel they lack anything.

#208616 - 09/07/09 06:20 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Janny]
JBryan Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I could never take care of 18 or 20 birds but if someone else can, hey, that's great.

#208625 - 09/07/09 09:43 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: JBryan]
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here

Loc: New York
Jan, please don't take offense. I'm saying what my heart and conscience tells me needs to be said in this situation. And I think it goes along with the important message of this site.

I must respectfully disagree with you on this point. Cheryl's decision to purchase and add a baby cockatoo to a flock of 19 is not a sound decision. Not for the birds, anyway. Just because some of the members of this board have many birds, doesn't make it an optimum situation for the birds. That's who we're all really here for, right? So let's put our own egoes aside and speak from a position of what's right for the birds.

18 birds are too many. 19 are too many, especially when you're adding babies to the flock. And I don't care if you're home all day. I'm home all day all summer, and I have 4 birds. I cook for them, keep their cages and environment clean, spend time playing with them and enriching their lives. I don't feel that my standard of care is too high. On the contrary, I still feel it's not enough. They deserve more. So, I don't see how anybody could possibly be giving 19 birds enough time, attention and care. And I feel that adding a new baby too to the mix was really unresponsible. Offensive or not, it needs to be said.

Just because you have a lot of birds, doesn't make it right. They are intelligent, fock-oriented beings. I think we all need to examine what we are doing more closely. People ought to know how much care these precious creatures require in order to have a shot at living a half-way acceptable existence.

I know all too well how easy it is to collect birds. People are always trying to give me someone's unwanted bird. They're all so different and precious that I want to bring them home. If I do end up collecting them, I will get to a place where I am not meeting their needs sufficiently. People need to be cautioned against this. It may not be what any of us want to hear, but it is the truth and needs to be said.

#208633 - 09/07/09 11:00 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: mom2paulie]
Janny Offline

Chained to the Computer

Ok well to start your post had nothing to do with the topic at hand and I would have been better off to delete it.

Secondly...my birds are some of the best cared for birds in this area. The number of them has nothing to do with what I offer them by means of a good life. I clean and believe me you could eat off the bottom of their cages and the floor in my home. More than I can say for some of the people who have cared for only one bird in their homes....

Thirdly...I take each one to the vet for care they need and yearly check ups.There is no neglect happening here in that department.I have even made trips to the vet "thinking" something was wrong with birds to find out they are healthy.Wasted trip...maybe but I err on the side of caution.

Fourthly...some of the flock is simply happy and entertained by watching me about my daily activities and don't need to be doted over all day. They still get the time THEY want when they want it.I believe I have very adjusted birds and independent at that...I have done a great job with ALL of them.I have taken in some of the harder birds to care for and handle and have made great progress with them.Only "I" KNOW what "I" can handle.

Another thing...18 birds may be too many for you but you have no idea and you are not a professional to make a statement like that without seeing a home of someone before throwing a number out and accusing someone of being a "collector" or "hoarder". I do take offense to what you have posted.

Now I did not make this post because I feel I have to justify anything to you.I just wanted to clarify.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny