Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#207925 - 08/28/09 06:36 AM I need info about rose breasted cockatoos  
newtotoos Offline
newtotoos  Offline

I have been searching for the right parrot for almost a year. I have done alot of research and even volunteered at a local bird breeding/rescue facility for a while. I met a rose breasted cockatoo and I fell in love with their charming and affectionate personality. After spending time with several different species of parrot I feel I have finally found the one for me. However, I do not want to rush into purchasing this amazing little guy without making absolutely sure I am the right home. I talked to some of the people at my rescue, but I really want to ask someone who actually owns one.

Please, if you currently own, or have owned, a rose breasted (galah) cockatoo:
How are they as pets?
Are they like other cockatoo's? (I read they are quieter, but I don't know if thats true.)

Any info would be a great help.

thanks.

#207927 - 08/28/09 11:06 AM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: newtotoos]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Breeding/Rescue Facility = $$$$ and will never give you the information that you are seeking. Try volunteering at a true Rescue facility and you'll find the too for you or the bird will find you. Please don't buy a too. There are so many that are turned over to rescues that need a home. We are opposed to the breeding and selling of birds.
Please take a moment to read our agenda
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292
Then start by reading this and the articles attached at the bottom.
http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#207928 - 08/28/09 11:27 AM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
Did you mean that you wanted to get this particular RB2 from the rescue? That's kind of what I got from reading your post. So, I'll go ahead and answer what I know.

I do not have a RB2 (Just 2 G2s), but my friend does. And he is the sweetest little guy (most of the time!). He is definitely less noisy over all then mine are, but he does have his moments. He serves as an early warning system and will really let go if he catches sight of someone approaching her house. And he does jabber a lot to himself. But he doesn't have the degree of screaming that my guys have.

He is also very sweet and friendly, but not as cuddly as my two are. That can be a good thing as mine tend to be cockatumors and want to be on me all the time.

His body language is harder for me to read than my birds' and I've seen him nail someone with virtually no warning...but that could be from not knowing him well.

I don't know if any of these behaviors translate across the species. This is just one little guy that I really enjoy.

#207930 - 08/28/09 11:48 AM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: Jacque]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
This topic have been discussed many times here over the last few years. Use the search function and you will probably learn more then from the few responses you will get. I do have an RB2. She is 3 1/2 and I've had her for 2 1/2 years. I have not yet had hormone issues but I think my luck is running out quickly! LOL! She is a one person bird and barely tolerates my husband. He is bitten on a regular basis. Not sure if it is because he is not home much due to work or what but there really is no warning. She will go up to him and say hi (meaning scratch my head) and he will oblige and then wham. And then she expects him to pet her again. Some fun game she plays is my guess. She is becoming alot more vocal lately so they are not quiet birds but are quieter that larger toos.

Not sure where the $$$ issue is in your original post. Maybe you could give details on the situation to recieve a proper response to your request for info. Also elaborate on your living conditions ie house, apt, kids, other family members, rural or city, what conditions is this too in now, etc since all those things are a factor for a happy marriage with a too.

#207954 - 08/28/09 07:12 PM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: Scarletts mom]  
newtotoos Offline
newtotoos  Offline

Thank you to everyone for your replies. Here is some more info:

I live in a smaller (3bed 2bath) house on 2 acres of land in Norco. I live with my husband, 2 horses, a dog and my husband's sun conure. My sister visits daily so I thought I would include her into the equation. My husband works, while I stay home. No children! My pets are my babies. Money isn't a big issue. We aren't millionaires but we are well off. The RB2 I was looking at is almost 2yr old. He was born and still lives at the facility I volunteered at. No one ever bought him, so he is still waiting for a home.

#207961 - 08/28/09 07:53 PM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: newtotoos]  
Sigstheman Offline
Sigstheman  Offline

Dover De USA
I don't understand the "Breeding/Rescue". Which is it? Why would they breed more birds when they have to rescue so many?

Jen, Sig(U2), Edgar(CAG), Ron(Cockateil), Bob(Parakeet)
#207965 - 08/28/09 08:23 PM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: Sigstheman]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Jen, you will find many breeders who do "rescue". Of course, they are the same ones who say there is no problem with too many parrots. They end up getting the birds they breed back and then put them back into their breeding stock. A guy here in Ontario got back 8 goffins that he sold as pets. He used them as breeders. He was the one who told me there was no such thing as rescue. I know lots of breeders who rescue. It's disgusting and clearly shows they don't give a damn about anything except their pockets.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#207966 - 08/28/09 08:32 PM Re: I need info about rose breasted cockatoos [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
From where I sit, there is no such thing as a breeder that "rescues". The "rescue" part is nothing but a facade - the "store front" to hide their dirty hands. And by obtaining 501(c) status they are screwing the government out of tax dollars, further lining their pockets. And, it's the birds who suffer.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#208017 - 08/29/09 08:33 PM I would like to know more about RB2s  
newtotoos Offline
newtotoos  Offline

I am very interested in learning more about the rose breasted (galah) cockatoo. If you own one or know any info please share. I want to hear the good and the bad. Thank you for your help.

#208019 - 08/29/09 08:44 PM Re: I would like to know more about RB2s [Re: newtotoos]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Newtotoos, I just merged the thread you just started with the one already going and moved it into the General Cockatoo discussion forum.

There are ALOT of threads here on the topic of RB2's. Use the advanced search feature and in the key word type in RB2 and que the search for 10 years. There are 5 pages. Also, use the key word Galah, and there are 9 pages. I don't have any experience with RB2's so I don't have any first hand experience to share. Read through the threads you find through the search engine and then if you have specific questions, I'm sure that other members with RB2's would be happy to assist.

Welcome to MT's. I hope that you choose to help a homeless bird rather than buying one.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#208052 - 08/30/09 01:29 AM Re: I would like to know more about RB2s [Re: EchosMom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
ditto

#208066 - 08/30/09 06:51 AM Re: I would like to know more about RB2s [Re: Scarletts mom]  
newtotoos Offline
newtotoos  Offline

Thank you everyone for your help!
This site has seriously made me think twice about getting a larger bird(and buying from a breeder for that matter!). Adopting definitely sounds nice, but is there really such thing as a "rescue"(meaning one that has more interest in the welfare of birds than their pocket books). At this time our house is not large enough to dedicate an entire room to a new bird, which is what I would want to do. But since we do have 2 acres I was thinking we could either add on or get an outdoor aviary. I am not sure which would be better. If we did decide to add on or build an aviary, that could take a while, so we probably wouldn't start looking to adopt for about 6 months to a year. (I would want it to be finished before we brought the new addition home). And even then there is no way to tell how long it would take for the right bird to find us. The issue is truly in Gods hands. I know I want to be a forever home to a bird in need.

#208070 - 08/30/09 12:37 PM Re: I would like to know more about RB2s [Re: newtotoos]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#208075 - 08/30/09 01:57 PM Re: I would like to know more about RB2s [Re: EchosMom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I have two RB2s, Hannah around 10 and Harry around 5. It is hard to generalize about RB2s compared to other toos or parrots as Hannah's and Harry's personalities are as different as night and day. Size is obviously a factor; and although their bite is not as bad as the larger toos, they can chomp pretty good for their size as a lot of us can relate to. Our birds are very loving and have bonded to us, but they do have their problems and peculiarities like other birds do.

I would be concerned about this place that you are referring to that both rescues and breeds birds. I know that some rescues charge an adoption fee to cover costs they they have incurred with the animal and help pay for care of other rescued animals. If they are charging a large amount for this bird then they are problably just in it for the money. If it is a small adoption fee, maybe different.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for information on RB2s, please do use the search engine and read the threads as there is a lot of information here on these birds. Search for RB2, rosebreasted, galah, etc. Even reading the other posts are helpful, as a lot of toos, no matter what the species or size, have the same attributes or problems.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#208672 - 09/09/09 01:32 AM Re: I would like to know more about RB2s [Re: RB2sMom]  
Pete789 Offline
Pete789  Offline

Cairns, Australia
Hi newto toos.

I get the feeling by reading these comments that American breeders have a bad reputation. Can't say it happens in Australia. Just about anyone will rescue a bird and usually pass it on to a registered carer or vet.

When i am chossing a new pet i usually let the pet choose me.. i allow my intuition to do the work. So just pray or meditate for you to find the right bird that god (or your HGA) wants you to get. Let the cosmos do the searching and your intuition will tell you.

Sounds like you have a big enough property for any size bird. Why don't you build (or buy) a large cage right up next to the house and then construct a special tube shaped walk way for the bird that goes through a window. This means the bird can walk in and out any time it likes. If it is too cold or hot then construct a door. I find this good if you want to sleep in past sunrise. Just ptu the bird into the walkway - it goes out into its cage (always fill the feeders with seed before bedtime)and then you can go back to bed. If it rains or gets too cold the bird just comes inside of its own accord.
Fencing wire can be bought from a hardware store and with a pair of pliers you can build a huge huge cage for $AU100. Mine even had 2 storeys- hehe.

Peter

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny