Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#199212 - 04/21/09 01:20 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: GregM]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
My first Too purchase was impluse. The second was a good deal. $200 buck for a Moluccan that needed a stable home. The third was after some thought.

First was a Goffins. I was at my favorite petstore and they got in some G2's. This was about 1986. I had to get one.

Second was the Moluccan. I had worked with him at the zoo for about a year. He was a foundling by the zoo. They did a health check and found no problem, just a little hungry from being lost and had some old injuries that healed wrong. He live at the zoo in a off display area for about a year. The zoo ran several lost and found adds but no one claimed. They were going to try to find another zoo for a home. I made them an offer and they said sold. Tut still has issues but he lives in his forever home. That was in Spring 1988.

The thrid is an Umbrella. Got her in late 1988. Kyu was the last of a friends breeding. He was going to keep here but needed the cash for his divorce.

I just wish Mytoos was around in the 80's. Even though the M2 and the U2 are in their forever homes, I would not have ever bought them knowing what I know now. The G2 had to be rehomed 4 yours ago because of her killing two other birds. I rehomed her for her safety. She found a new home where she is a single bird and doing great.

#201317 - 05/23/09 09:02 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Elliott]  
Greb256 Offline
Greb256  Offline

Illinois
I was an exchange student in Australia in high school and when I saw the flocks of SC2 and the galahs I thought they were beautiful. 6 years later after graduating for college and reading several birds books I emailed a rescue in Arizona. I visited the rescue and still wanted one after listening to a M2 scream. I ended up buying my first too, an E2. She was and is very well behaved and friendly with everyone. She plays well alone and loves attention and meeting new people. She is out whenever I am home or in her room while I am at work.

From there I volunteered at a rescue and adopted my second too, G2. Third was a rehome (MM2) and the 4th a gift from my husband (D2).

#201321 - 05/24/09 12:19 AM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Greb256]  
OogieBird Offline
OogieBird  Offline

Gainesville, Fl
When I was very young (10yrs old), there was a goffins in a pet store that just stole my heart. I would visit him whenever my mom would agree to let me go see him. He did the cutest "bunny hop" all over the bottom of the cage whenever he saw me and would cry every time I left. The owner saw how much I liked him, and actually offered to give us a $200 discount...who tries to sell a 10 year old a cockatoo??!!!
I really hope the little guy found a good loving home and is as happy as can be, though statistically I know this is improbable
Anyways, I have wanted one every since. I stumbled across an online ad for one that needed rehoming. Although I know the bird wasn't replaced and all the seller did was recover costs, I now feel horrible for not adopting, especially when I've seen several in rescues locally that need adopted.

#201467 - 05/28/09 04:27 AM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: OogieBird]  
Janie Offline
Janie  Offline

I was goofing around online researching cockatoo's and stumbled upon an ad. I made contact just out of curiosity. I had met and handled a cockatoo while on a trip, and was curious about price etc. I was offered the opportunity to adopt the cockatoo mentioned in the add. We thought about it carefully, researched every book we could find, checked out a local parrot store, and were encouraged to purchase a chick. It just didn't feel right, the owner was too 'pushy'. We considered long and hard, then made the decision to go ahead with taking on the responsibility of providing for a cockatoo. I had not discovered Mytoos, or we may have changed our minds.

Every day is a new experience with a cockatoo. The depth of bonding they are capable of creating with a human is astounding. I attribute that to the high level of the bird's intelligence. This bird has trained to hand signals. She has so many levels of communication, body language, her own sounds, and the ability to request in human language many of her desires or needs. EX: "drink, nite-nite, I go outside, blanky".

My background in behavior modification has been invaluable. The bird loves to 'work'. Keeping her busy and challenged is a full time job.

This bird is extremely socialized, has been exposed to all manner of human daily living situations. She goes everywhere appropriate with us. She volunteers. With her little flight suit (bird diaper) on, and a color coordinated bow in her crest she gets lots of attention in public. This has become an opportunity to educate many people about cockatoos in captivity. OUR MESSAGE TO ALL THE HUMANS SHE MEETS IS: COCKATOOS ARE ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT CREATURES TO CARE FOR, AND AS A RESULT THEY ARE MOST OFTEN ABUSED, NEGLECTED AND BECOME UNWANTED. THEY REQUIRE A LIFETIME COMMITMENT OF TIME. MONEY, AND PATIENCE. A COCKATOO IS LIKE CARING FOR AN ETERNAL 2 YEAR OLD CHILD WHO HAS THE INTELLIGENCE OF A 6-8 YEAR OLD HUMAN COUPLED WITH BEHAVIORAL ISSUES.

Would we ever make such a deep commitment to an animal again? I doubt it, however there is that bond, that deep straight to your soul relating that makes the chewed on buffet, the extra cleaning, the hormonal surges, the expensive parrot food that the vacuum eats more of than the bird worth it. For better or worse. Janie & Kiwi U2

#201488 - 05/29/09 04:22 AM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Janie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Amen, Janie! Very well said!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#201564 - 05/31/09 12:48 AM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Charlie]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
Well from what I read on this message board there is certainly a big problem in the US in relation to Toos.
Fortunatly in Italy parrots and in particular Toos(other reason they are very expensive M2 4,000 euros or Major Mitchell 5-6000 euros), are not so popular and now with the avian flu and the documents required according to the CITES( appendix I species are real issue) even less ( I am sooo happy). Often the small local pet shops don't even have parakeets or canaries because of the avian flu let alone parrots - ( and I'm soo happy).
There are no rescues in Italy like in the US here( also because the number of parrots is so low that probably 1-2 rescues would be more than sufficient for all types of birds I think).
So its me and a few crazy parrot lovers tht play rescue; thats why I have 11

#201606 - 06/01/09 03:57 AM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: MissYumYum]  
toosmom Offline
toosmom  Offline

Queensland Australia
How we got into 'toos? uhm .... well - it's a warped story actually. When I was growing up I had all the animals a kid generally has - but never once had a bird. I don't know if that was because my mom didnt like them or what but when I was a teenager, my dad had one. I would go for a visit and there he would be. His name was Charlie Chan - and for the life of me I can NOT remember the type of bird he was - all I remember is he was an amazonian bird.
My husband did grow up with birds, and knew how much work they were first hand. He was wanting to get a bird - a 'too actually - so that our kids could grow up with them. When I started researching, I told him he was nuts.
We rescued an aviary of lovebirds from a woman who had been breeding them and decided to get out of the business. she was just "dumping" them. We bought the aviary from her and she "threw in the birds" for free. She was going to sell the unweaned babies to a girl who 'wanted to try handraising' and decided to give them to us along with their parents instead.

After I researched a bit, we got involved with bird rescues because we felt that the ones in the shelters needed us more then the ones in the pet stores. We don't buy from the pet stores because 1) they charge to much money and 2) we find that being smart in what we give our birds not only gives us peace of mind (because we didnt know WHAT was in the toys in the shops!) but also helps us financially, because you would be surprised at what a bird will find interesting enough to play with (then again as most of you on here know, you might NOT be surprised!).

We don't regret the path we have taken, or the birds that have come our way. We went into it with our eyes wide open, knowing full well how hard it was going to be. Knowing that, we are constantly amazed at how good a relationship turns out with our lot - even the cranky 'too affectionately known as "el demon bird"!

Once you domesticate an animal, you are responsible for them for life. Their life, not just yours.
#207248 - 08/21/09 03:00 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Ladyhutch]  
Sigstheman Offline
Sigstheman  Offline

Dover De USA
I guess, without really knowing the facts about these birds and their needs, I just would look at one and think WOW how, beautiful, how could anyone NOT want one!

Jen, Sig(U2), Edgar(CAG), Ron(Cockateil), Bob(Parakeet)
#207258 - 08/21/09 04:21 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Sigstheman]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
THIS is my history. September 1958 my family had just driven across the country from Florescent, MO to Coronado, CA. On the drive I turned seven. About two weeks after, our Family had to go see the World Famous San Diego Zoo. That day I experienced the most beautiful creature Almighty God had placed on this planet. After all I knew beautiful birds, I had a parakeet. This angel was sitting on the arm of a man in a brown uniform. Behind them was a pond of pink (ha they don't even know what pink is) flamingos with several water spouts. With the sun reflecting off the pond and the water misting around, King Tut looked to be straight from Heaven. My parents had to pry me away and I made their day miserable until I got several more visits with King Tut. Jump ahead a few decades and in 1994 I had the opportunity to "purchase" one of King Tut's daughters. I had the love, time, money, I didn't have the right living conditions. That's why a cockatoo. It's the truth....

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#207263 - 08/21/09 05:43 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
Why a Cockatoo? I keep asking myself that question! grin

#207266 - 08/21/09 05:56 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Brandy's mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
That's quite a story, Denise! Thanks for sharing! King Tut is quite the legend, and I can see why you fell in love! We know that feeling all too well around here. I had done my research and was going to settle on a hahn's macaw for the family pet 8 years ago (yes, of course, a baby - I had NO IDEA of the travesty that is the parrot breeding industry, sigh...). My husband was in PetSmart buying wild bird seed, saw they had an M2 for sale and came home with love in his eyes for the pink ball of fluff. I had absolutely no intention of buying from PetSmart, told him cockatoos were too big and complicated, etc., etc. One fateful day, I was driving the long way home and happened upon the new location of a long-time Dallas bird store. I thought to myself, "Hmmmm... we're still not settled on what kind of parrot to bring into our home with a young child (then 7), so I'll stop in and ask them some more questions." There was Isabella U2, 3 years old and just placed on consignment at the shop by her first owners because their daughter had developed asthma (so they said confused), and it was love at firsrt sight! When they placed her on my arm and she snuggled in to my chest, that was it - I was lost! A story like so many others, sigh...

My only regret is that I did not truly rescue her - had no idea about parrot overpopulation or specialty rescues. I found MyToos when Isabella turned 5 and I started having puberty issues with her. m Then, my eyes were opened!

Very insightful thread!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#210688 - 10/15/09 10:22 PM Warning, this is long. [Re: GregM]  
YondoToo Offline
YondoToo  Offline

Sweden
I got my fourth bird, a Meyers parrot, in 2003 - then I began wanting another a few years later. In january 2006, I saw a brown-headed parrot that was going to be rehomed. One year old, and still she was already going to her fourth home!

I wanted that bird so badly, but still, I live in northern Sweden, and that bird was as south as you could get. So it was not really possible. Then I (this was more than a year before I started questioning breeding birds) thought I could get a baby pionus by summer.

Only days after that, I started thinking of getting my dream bird, a Mealy amazon. (Now that I know more about birds, I know that amazons are not for me) I had read a bit earlier that month about cockatoos and I thought that NEVER would I have such a horrible (...), biting, unpredictable terror of a bird! I promised myself that, NEVER EVER would I have a cockatoo. But still, naive fourteen-year-old as I was, I could not take my eyes of the cockatoos beauty and started looking at mostly the Eleonora, and chose that instead of the Mealy amazon.

I read, read and read for... about half a year (not much at all, but for a fourteen/fifteen-year-old, it's a lot of time, especially when you're impatient and want everything to happen NOW!), especially here, but of course none of it stuck in my head.
If I hade not had a cockatoo by now, and come here and read, I believe that I would have realized - the aggression issues with cockatoos are probably too much for me. But as a fourteen/fifteen-year-old, I thought (like any teen) "I can make it - if they can, why can't I?" tired

I read threads here about other teens wanting to get toos, and when they were told not to, I thought "Yes, it's them... but I can handle it!" I didn't realize that all those that I read about had most likely thought the exact same thing.

I wanted to get a rehome, because I didn't really like this with breeding, but I was still miles away from the opinions I have today. So because I refused to wait more months, by june, I put a deposit on a cockatoo hatched at the end of march. His brother from the year before (and later, his siblings the year after) was parent-fed entirely, and I wanted "my" 'too to be parent-raised as well, but since I couldn't put the deposit soon enough, he was taken in to be hand-fed at two months of age.

I was to pick up the 'too (DNA-tested male) in the beginning of august because he was just supposed to have been weaned by then (I had read here about how long time these birds need to be fed, but I of course preferred to listen to the breeders here instead...cry), but instead I got a message in the beginning of july that now, he's weaned and has been eating by himself for almost a week. I didn't think that sounded good, but not so much that I would not buy the bird anyway.
(If that had been today - not that I buy from a breeder anyway - I would have demanded of him to feed the bird longer or let him have my deposit and I would not buy the bird, but that was not the case then)

I never started a thread here because I knew what sort of answers I would get, and I didn't see what that would lead to. I was dead set on a cockatoo, and no one could convince me otherwise.

It didn't take many months for me with the "little" 'too to understand that these birds really do not fit in our homes. So since then, I have been a clear opposer of breeding of all parrots - especially cockatoos and the other large parrots - and have self-proclaimed myself as Swedens Mytoos-ambassador. blush

I have done mistakes that I will never do again, and I try to convince as many as I can NOT to get a cockatoo, or if they do, definitely not feed the breeders. Few people wants to see cockatoos out of our living rooms as much as I do, but I often meet rather odd questions at that opinion.
"If you don't think parrots should be pets, then why are you at bird forums?"
"To say that cockatoos shouldn't be pets is b***shit when you have one yourself!" (Sais one of the countrys few "rescuers")
"If you don't think parrots should be pets, why do you have them yourself?"
Etcetera. Rather tiring. I mean, I can't release my birds, they are hand-fed and would never survive in the wild. frown

But if I was assured that they would live, be together with a flock of their own kind and "live happily ever after" in the wild, I would go to their respective homelands and set them free, no matter how much I would miss them. But of course, that's not possible.

I'm working on a site similiar to this and other sites with honest information (for some reason, people call me "overly negative" crazy), but in swedish. I read lots of english/american articles about parrot ownership and aviculture, but when I want others to read them, they say they'd love to but they don't want to waste energy when it's in english, they don't know the language that well, etc... so I'm making a site in swedish, since it's about time.

There is one swedish forum with opinions kind of similar to this - parrots shouldn't be in captivity - but that's about it, everywhere else there are fluff boards, breeder sites, etc. And of course, breeders (at least almost) always lie right up in your face.

My 'toos breeder for example, is a rather well-knowned person in swedish aviculture, definitely not seen as a "bad breeder", BUT - he sold a large cockatoo, an extremely intelligent, sensitive animal with high potential to be rehomed within the next months/years, to a fifteen-year-old girl (me) who he only asked whether she has a cage and if she knew that avocado is deadly to birds.
I could have been anyone who didn't even know that cockatoos were white birds, but why bother, I came over with the money first!

So, nowadays, I feel that parrot breeders (except those really breeding for conservation, release into the wild and only that) are amongst the scum of the earth... why?
Because they make money on wild animals. They steal the babies from their parents, raise them in totally unnatural environments to then force them to be on their own much too early, throw them out into a life where they are very likely to be thrown between many, many homes (the average parrots has about seven homes in its first ten years), never be able to act normally, never be able to exercise properly as in the wild, never get to know freedom... and they make money of it.

...and there is a world of difference between supporting aviculture and supporting birds.
#210691 - 10/15/09 11:48 PM Re: Warning, this is long. [Re: YondoToo]  
Libby Offline
Libby  Offline

St Cloud, MN, USA
My husband and I decided we wanted to adopt a bird after we decided we were not having kids and we would have the time and the patience. Doing the research, we quickly learned that cockatoos seemed to be the most in need so we had a preference for a cockatoo but were open to what ever bird chose us. Turned out we were chosen by two cockatoos and adopted them both. Now we have three, plus a mini-macaw. They're just such amazing and beautiful creatures. We both have a major soft spot for the 'toos. They can definately be difficult, but the great moments overshadow any doubt we ever have. They are now our family and you couldn't pry them away from us. smile

Libby

U2-Sweetie, RV2-Josh, G2-Charlie, Hawn's Macaw-Kiwi, 'tiel-Spike
#210796 - 10/17/09 07:11 PM Re: Warning, this is long. [Re: Libby]  
brinstrong Offline
brinstrong  Offline

Michigan USA
For me I fell in love with their clownish behavior and personality, what silly birds they are.

In the world you are one person but,
"too" one person,
you are the world.
#210983 - 10/22/09 12:20 AM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: Ladyhutch]  
myna102 Offline
myna102  Offline

eli wasn't a pity purchase, my son on his way back from up north found out about a animal rescue, and fostering, well 3 cat's later and 2 dogs, beagle, and basset hound, he had gotten a cat named tang years ago, from a former girl friend and she wasn't taking care of it, well he fattened up, and became a true garfield, came when you called him he would come like a dog, and if you walked by and said hi tang he look up and meow, the fun thing to say about him was ok i'll walk over to that stupid ball on that spring thing and knock it around a few time's and sleep the next 4 hours he just lost tank but he had a wonder easy life. my knew i was thinking of getting a bird, my girlfriend has a africal grey, he found a rescue on craigs list, we went and i fell in love, he's 11 years old and loves his crown pruned you just rub it forward and he buries his head in well your lap which makes some men uneasy lol, but he'll stay there turning his head so you get every spot. i often lay on the floor watching tv and he loves to nestle under my arm. i'm so glad i got him

#211263 - 10/26/09 08:42 PM Re: Why a Cockatoo? [Re: myna102]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
My parents had a cockatiel when I was growing up. In fact, Tiki is still alive and well...it must be going on 16 or 17 years now. He is still squeaking and chirping up a storm as well as tormenting the dog (2nd one he has gotten to torment, he outlived the first) whenever I see him. I was always fascinated with the larger birds, and when I got out on my own after college I decided to buy one.

So here I am 7 years later with a 7.5 year old white chicken. It definitely was a bit of an impulse buy, and I do wish I would have found this site prior to purchasing the bird from the breeder (though I am not sure these people would really classify as 'breeders' they still sold a bird to a 22 year old guy and his girlfriend/now wife). Even though I had done a good bit of research prior to buying, I think I probably would have looked into adoption (or forwent bringing one home entirely) had I known what I know now. I really had no idea about these birds and what I was getting myself into.

Buying that chicken had to be both the best and worst decision I ever made. She is the second most important thing in my life - I have to give my wife the #1 spot because she might be reading this grin (she would no doubt say the same about the chicken) - but both of our lives revolves around her schedule now. I had no idea the commitment - a commitment I am happy to make - caring for a 'too would be. She drives me bonkers at times, but, still, I miss, think about her, wonder what she is doing, and cant wait to see her whenever I am not home. Even though she seems like such a happy little birdie, I cant help but think she deserves much more.

If/when I do this again, it will be with a rescue bird for sure. After all, a flock of 3 is barely a flock...

Last edited by Chloe413; 10/26/09 08:56 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny