Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#205457 - 08/01/09 02:12 PM what are the best parrot mix foods out there??  
brian reynolds03 Offline
brian reynolds03  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Hi guys i just bought this parrot mix for my parrot.

i just want to know how good it is for her or are their any better one's out there?

here is the link... i got the one for 16.85

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/PARROTFOOD/cid823/PARROTFOOD.asp

she also eats.... fresh fruit potatoes vegetables

i just want to make sure she has good diet...

regards
brian

Last edited by brian reynolds03; 08/01/09 02:14 PM.
#205459 - 08/01/09 03:13 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: brian reynolds03]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Loaded with peanuts and sunflower seeds, that is not a good choice. Peanuts, especially raw can harbor bacteria and fungi and sunflower seeds are very high in fat content. If you chose to offer peanuts, they should be roasted (not salted) human grade and sunflower seeds should be used only as treats and in moderation.

Your bird should be on a pelleted diet, backed up with a quality dry mix (I use Golden Feast Fruit or make my own), lots of vegetables, and a little bit of fresh fruit.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#205461 - 08/01/09 03:27 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: EchosMom]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
The only seeds I feed my bird are sprouted. It is easy to do, she loves them and they are very nutritious.

Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.
#205470 - 08/01/09 05:58 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: JBryan]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

We make our own seed mix here, saves a lot of $$ and completely healthy.

You can use any combination of these or add your own variations.

Organic Granola
Wheat Kernals
Oat Groats
Toasted Soynuts
Pumpkin Seeds
Flax Seed
Millet
Barley
Whole wheat pasta

I add the occasional sunflower seed (no salt), roasted peanuts (non salted in the shell), and pine nuts.

I get all of this at my regular grocery store.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#205473 - 08/01/09 06:15 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Any seed mix should be fed sparingly. Peanuts should be human grade. The pet food industry will use less than perfect seed for their mixes. Look for mixes that have no sunflower seeds. Safflower seeds are better. High fat too, but takes a lot more energy to get at them.

Typical diet for my flock;

Morning - Carrots, corn on the cob, broccoli, necterine, apple.

Evening - tablespoon of seed mix, five peanuts, a walnut
a pecan, 2 almonds, 2 filberts, and some people food
like pasta, flatbread, or whatever I'm having for
dinner.

Limit how much citrus fruit you feed. There has been some discussion about the Toos feather picking caused by citrus.

#206500 - 08/13/09 08:33 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Elliott]  
christina0001 Offline
christina0001  Offline

MO
Hi Brian,
I am no expert but I have been feeding my M2 Harrison's Pellets for several months now. She loves them, and I've never heard anything bad about them. Good quality food, organic, nutritionally balanced. Price-wise I don't know how it compares to what you bought (I'm in the U.S.); it's not cheap but it's well worth the peace of mind, knowing she's getting good nutrition.

#206583 - 08/14/09 10:45 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: christina0001]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
Harrisons for all of our perosnal guys. If that's out of your price range, Roudybush is a decent brand as well. Most others are high on the fat/calorie list without providing a lot of nutrition.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#206584 - 08/14/09 10:49 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
A 5 pound bag of Harrison's cost almost the same as a 20 pound bag of Zupreem Natrual. For me, both bags last a month feeding my four highnesses. Pound for pound Harrison's is higher, but last the same.

#206589 - 08/15/09 03:15 AM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Elliott]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I use Harrison's personally. My birds have been doing really well on it, they look great and they are quite fit (My vet says Jojo is very muscular lol). The only problem you might have with Harrison's is that it has no preservatives, so it won't last more than 6-8 weeks. You can freeze/refridgerate to prolong the freshness a bit (in it's own bag only). You can buy very large bags (25lbs), but will have to use it up pretty quick. Buying the 5lb bags is usually more economical.

If it's too expensive, Roudybush is also a quality pellet and costs a bit less. I'd go with one of the regular types of Roudybush.. The California blends seems to be more for weaning or conversion and the rice type seems to be for parrots that can't tolerate gluten .

#206601 - 08/15/09 09:13 AM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Cidsa]  
RK1 Offline
RK1  Offline

RI
Harrisons is the best pellet out there. then Rowdybush. i also use Hagen & Zupreem. they do get some seed. it's a very high quality mix. other than that, they get stuff i ccok. scrambled eggs, oatmeal, rice, lentils. i also give them some vanilla granola i get at Whole Foods. it's really good.

#206738 - 08/17/09 02:32 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: RK1]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Our RB2s will not eat Harrison's but like Zupreem fruit flavored.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#206744 - 08/17/09 03:06 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: RB2sMom]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
My Eddie will not eat Harrisions,but will on occasion nibble on their Power Treats. He was eating Zupreem Fruit,well only purple & red and everything else got tossed out on the floor. I now have him eating the Zupreem Natural and have less to clean up around his cage.

It's good to see people feeding roasted peanuts and can talk about it. grin

Does anyone feed Harrision Power Treats? My Macaws & CAG love them. Since I have been feeding them to my CAG I have noticed his tail feathers have gone from a red-orange color to a bright red.

#206747 - 08/17/09 03:41 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Doubleyolk]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Brandy LOVES power treats! Harlie only wants Harrison's Hi-Pro, the boys (BFAs) get Hi-Pro too. The tiels and keets both get Volkman and Harrisons.

I did notice it doesn't say RED Palm oil on the bag any more...jut Palm Oil.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#206803 - 08/18/09 02:40 AM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Bonnie11 Offline
Bonnie11  Offline

I also feed Harrisons and have for quite some time I do also feed a high quality seed mixture but sparingly. Fresh fruits veggies and pasta 2 times a day, Almonds are one of there favorites, never sunflower seeds and only sparingly on walnuts there very high in fat also.

Last edited by Bonnie11; 08/18/09 02:41 AM.

" I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on"
#207200 - 08/21/09 03:13 AM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Bonnie11]  
christina0001 Offline
christina0001  Offline

MO
I just started putting some of Harrison's Power Treats to the High Potency I give to Peepers. (I recently switched Peepers from Adult Lifetime to High Potency...mixed them together for a while, since she was used to the Adult Lifetime.) If I hand her a High Potency pellet she flings it, but mixed in with her regular pellets, I think she's been eating them. It's only been a week or two so obviously I'm not seeing any difference yet.

Also FYI if I put more than 1 layer of pellets in Peepers bowl, she is really wasteful of her food, flings pellets everywhere. So I put pellets in her bowl 2-3 times a day and she flings very few. smile A 5 lb. bag of food I'm guessing lasts us roughly a month. I order 2 bags at a time and I think I've been ordering about every 2 months, give or take a week or so.

#207208 - 08/21/09 03:54 AM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: christina0001]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
You are going from Harrison's Adult Lifetime to High Potency to Power Treats? Why? You are increasing the fat level at each step.

I never put more than a dozen pellets ,of any kind and we use them all, in a bowl at any one time. Parrots and cockatoos are very wasteful when times are plentiful!

ETA: This thread was originally about "parrot mixes" and pellets are not in that category.

#207250 - 08/21/09 03:12 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Charlie]  
Sigstheman Offline
Sigstheman  Offline

Dover De USA
Charlie, just a beginner but after watching my hubby's African Grey-Edgar throw SOOOOOOO much food EVERYWHERE, I told him to stop filling the bowl to the top. I don't fill Sig's bowl to the top, I fill it about half way, I notice each day that there is still food left in the bowl as well as some on the bottom of the cage (of course) so it seems to waste less...his food is a premix from a pet store special for his breed. Seems to have everything, pellets, fruit, veggies, calcium etc. (no seeds) Still giving him warm baby bird formula in the evenings for comfort feeding, this sound ok or am I missing anything?

Jen, Sig(U2), Edgar(CAG), Ron(Cockateil), Bob(Parakeet)
#207257 - 08/21/09 03:49 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Sigstheman]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It's just been my observation that feeding a few pellets more often results in less waste. If I put a full bowl in front of my 'Too, it would be all over the room, quickly! LOL

#207260 - 08/21/09 05:08 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Charlie]  
Bonnie11 Offline
Bonnie11  Offline

Quote:
It's just been my observation that feeding a few pellets more often results in less waste.

You are so right Charlie and this is the reason people say Harrison's is just too expensive for them to feed, they are wasting too much, it doesn't take much. If I filled the bowl it would be consistent with doing a weeks worth of food.

" I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on"
#207261 - 08/21/09 05:31 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Bonnie11]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
I use Higgins Sunburst during the day when I can't change out cooked foods in a reasonable amount of time. I used many types of mixes over the years and I have little to none for waste. I have also found that when I changed to this that I stopped having seed moths problems like I had with some mixes.

#207620 - 08/25/09 07:15 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Charlie]  
christina0001 Offline
christina0001  Offline

MO
Originally Posted By: Charlie
You are going from Harrison's Adult Lifetime to High Potency to Power Treats? Why? You are increasing the fat level at each step.

I never put more than a dozen pellets ,of any kind and we use them all, in a bowl at any one time. Parrots and cockatoos are very wasteful when times are plentiful!

ETA: This thread was originally about "parrot mixes" and pellets are not in that category.

Because that is what is recommended on the Harrison's website, in their Handbook for a Healthier Bird. They recommend the High Potency for M2s, and they recommend the Power Treats as an occasional supplement, and especially if the 2 has flaky skin (which mine does, I already have to rub aloe on her ankles, or she will chew them if they get too dry). My bird is at the lighter end of the recommended weight range (although she is missing most of her feathers and that may contribute to weighing less) so at this point I am not worried about the increase in fat content.

#207625 - 08/25/09 07:38 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: christina0001]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yep, you are paying attention! wink I was afraid that people would take that to mean they should normally strive for a progression towards more fat and sugar. Thank you for being clear. smile

#208235 - 09/01/09 08:05 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Doubleyolk]  
Janie Offline
Janie  Offline

I've noticed KiwiU2 tends to prowl through her food dish looking for something better than whats on top. I think cockatoos are 'rooters' by nature according to observations of her behavior when allowed some freedom outside. We feed her a mix of all the good brands and include a mix that has some seed in it too. Vet says she needs 15% seed included in her diet. She behaves the same as others regarding what she wants to eat. Color choice is also displayed at different times. Offering a lot of variety seems to be the key. She seems to know what she needs and when, such as fulfilling a protein need. Of course anything with fat in it is always a preferred choice, thus I repeat my concern that there is some food available in the wild that fulfills this need that we just aren't aware of. Janie/KiwiU2

#209954 - 10/06/09 05:30 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Janie]  
New to Toos Offline
New to Toos  Offline

Kansas
Where do you order pelleted food?

I will be adding a U2 to my family soon, and want to know the best place to get feed.

#209957 - 10/06/09 05:40 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: New to Toos]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas

This is a good source for pelleted foods:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

You can also order Harrison's Bird Foods direct from the source:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#209959 - 10/06/09 05:44 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: MissYumYum]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
You'll want to check this part of MYTOOS out: http://www.mytoos.com/food.shtml
I'm sure the Zon's will find something they like also, mine do!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#209963 - 10/06/09 05:53 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Brandy's mom]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Our CAG loves that veggie mixture.

#209968 - 10/06/09 06:09 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: JBryan]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
All the birds here love the veggie mix as well. I change each batch up a bit, varying the types of beans and adding grains and pasta to the mix as well. This past time I added brown rice, barley and whole wheat pasta.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#210100 - 10/07/09 11:20 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: EchosMom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We are feeding our RB2s ABBA seed mixture along with Zupreem fruit pellets.

This is the link for the ABBA seed mixture:
http://www.abbaseed.com/Seed_Products/seed_products.html
This is not just seeds, but dried veggies and fruits and even meats and fish as well as vitamins and minerals added. Our vet said to give about 75% pellets and 25% seeds to our female who is still a little robust and 50:50 to our male who needs to gain weight and is very hyperactive.
And by the way remember ABBA the Swedish singing group, when you go to this link they have their music playing.....

Susanne
#210118 - 10/08/09 05:09 AM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: RB2sMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
When I don't make my own dry mix, I opt for Golden Feast. There are quite a number of blends, depending on the size bird. Most of their blends also have dried veggies and fruit. As Susanne pointed it, dry mix should account for a very small portion of their diet.

#210129 - 10/08/09 01:46 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: EchosMom]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
I feed our Grey Zupreem pellets but my vet was concerned about the coloring. He prefers non-colored pellets. He also is concerned about coloring on toys and I can see his point on that. However, if the colors used in the food are food grade why would there be a problem? Does anyone else have a concern about this? Zupreem has a non-colored version I can try but I have two bags of this other stuff to use up first.

#210180 - 10/08/09 10:42 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: JBryan]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Our RB2s for whatever reason did not like the non-colored plain zoopreem. So, I am back to the fruit flavored.

Susanne
#210255 - 10/09/09 08:13 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: JBryan]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: JBryan
I feed our Grey Zupreem pellets but my vet was concerned about the coloring. He prefers non-colored pellets. He also is concerned about coloring on toys and I can see his point on that. However, if the colors used in the food are food grade why would there be a problem? Does anyone else have a concern about this? Zupreem has a non-colored version I can try but I have two bags of this other stuff to use up first.

Did your vet have a concern with your particular grey eating colored pellets, or is this a general concern?

I have seen some parrots that exhibit behavior issues when given artificial food coloring. Personally, I aim to not let my parrots (or me) eat artificial colors, though some certainly slips in occasionally!

My grey ate colored Zupreem for about 4 years until she started plucking. At that time, I did a ton of research and switched her to Harrison's. Though diet turned out not to be the cause of her plucking, when I look back on pictures, her feather quality greatly improved after switching from Zupreem to Harrison's.

The vet who sees all of the birds at the rescue where I volunteer has requested that we switch all greys that come in to Harrison's, which we've done for a couple of years now. I never really heard the reasoning behind this, though, and never pushed since it's what my greys eat anyway.

#210257 - 10/09/09 08:28 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: Beeps]  
JBryan Offline
JBryan  Offline

Oklahoma
Actually, my vet is opposed to colored anything (food, toys) in general for all birds. When I use up all the colored Zupreem I have left I might consider switching to the Zupreem without coloring. Harrison's is not available in the local pet stores I have been to here. I am not real worried about the coloring but if she will eat the non-colored stuff just as well then why not avoid that issue.

As far as the toys, it is hard to find them without a ton of coloring on them and that stuff comes off on your hands when they are wet so I am a bit more concerned about those. I just got a big bag of un-colored plain wooden blocks of various shapes with holes drilled in them that I will use to make some toys. I really am not into sawing up a bunch of lumber. I might if I had a Too but this bird doesn't go through wood that fast.

#210281 - 10/09/09 10:29 PM Re: what are the best parrot mix foods out there?? [Re: JBryan]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I like the higgins Sunburst large. Goldenfeast has a cockatoo creation but it only comes in 64 ounce size (silly, huh?). We always but organic human grade nuts such as Pine, pistachio, pecan, almonds, walnuts, star anise and add it in. Cheerios are fun in there as is whole grain pasta.

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny