Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 48 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 47 48
#207501 - 08/24/09 05:30 PM Re: Noelle [Re: katy girl]  
pixiez Offline
pixiez  Offline

Westville,Florida
Personally I use Jeffers Vet Supply @ 1 800-JEFFERS or at jeffersvetsupply.com. In Florida most is always next day delivery or second day as they are based in Dothan Ala. They use Ups or fedex. My mother is also a licensed practicing nurse in Tampa and can and has used her boss as a source for other items with her permission of course for other hard to find specialty items. You have my permission to contact me on my profile info at any time you need anything.

#207503 - 08/24/09 05:35 PM Re: Noelle [Re: pixiez]  
pixiez Offline
pixiez  Offline

Westville,Florida
Ps they have a great source of pelleted diets that Sugar just loves. It's almost solved the fruit fly problem when they came out with the pelleted fruit(not gummy or wet) real pelleted fruit.I even like the taste. It's more like treats not just dinner. They have been trying for years to go to mostly organic supplies where they can or Dr. Jeffers just created his own before he passed away recently. His wife now runs the outfit and there is no danger of running out of supply.

#207534 - 08/24/09 08:58 PM Re: Noelle [Re: pixiez]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I took the bandages off this morning at home. The wound is healing, but it is a slow process.

4 weeks after debridement

My hopes were to leave her uncovered during the day, and put a shirt on her at night, but that was short-lived. I took the bandages off and went into the kitchen to get the mister off the counter, and when I walked back into the familyroom (30 secs max) she has pulled a piece of scab off and it was bleeding. cry I did mist her, and watched her like a hawk until her body was dry (which doesn't take long w/out feathers), massaged Emu oil into the area, then put a newly halter on her. It is made with very soft, but thick fleece and I reinforced the area across her chest so it's 3-ply thick. I also gave her a dose of Metacam for good measure.

Here she is in blue sky and clouds.

I am pleased with the new design and only needed to make a few minor changes for future ones.

The supplier that I ordered the sheepskin from talked to Fed Ex today, who was suppose to call me and did not. They are going to file a claim with Fed Ex, but are shipping out a replacement free of charge today. I did not have any luck getting them to upgrade the shipping, but at least they are not making me wait until they resolve things with Fed Ex. The gal told me that Fed Ex is holding their ground that they delivered to the right address, so they are not expecting Fed Ex to pay a claim, but regardless, they are replacing my order.

Pixiez, thank you for the information. The website address you listed doesn't work but I will contact you via the email in your profile if I need further assistance. smile

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#207537 - 08/24/09 09:11 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Ohhhh, she looks so sweet, as usual. I am sorry that everything does not go more smoothly for both of you in this process.
Do you think that the picking is due to pain, itch, habit, or ????

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#207539 - 08/24/09 09:42 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Rukesmom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I love the new halter! And her skin is looking so much better. Deliveries are a pain, hopefully the next one they'll get right!
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#207541 - 08/24/09 09:46 PM Re: Noelle [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Mookie Offline
Mookie  Offline

Oh she is looking so much better!
What a sweetheart.

#207543 - 08/24/09 09:53 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Mookie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Such a little dolly, I just want to give a kiss to her so badly. Hugs to you both!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#207566 - 08/25/09 01:20 AM Re: Noelle [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
Hi EchosMom,
I have the male M2 that always wears the t-shirt, can't take it off unless I'm around to watch otherwise he starts again fiddling around and he also takes fragments of food and puts them on his chest. Its so sad to see these creatures reduced in these conditions. Sometimes I sit and watch him and think what a nice job man has done and I'm sitting here unable to help this fellow, I really feel helpless and this distresses.

#207584 - 08/25/09 05:00 AM Re: Noelle [Re: whitewings56]  
Java_One Offline
Java_One  Offline

Hawaii
She is adorable! Lots of love and dedication, Janet. You are a rare person.

#207705 - 08/26/09 12:20 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Java_One]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Noelle's new dress is adorable and I am hopeful that the sheepskin will totally prevent her from getting at the scab. Do you feel impatient with the time required for healing? I know I do.

Pat

One Day At A Time
#207716 - 08/26/09 04:41 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yes, Pat I feel it too - impatience and a bit of disappointment at the lengthly healing process. I guess I just hoped for too much too soon, and each time the bandages came off I was expecting/hoping for greater improvement. I have to go back and look at the "before" pictures to remind myself that she is improving, just not as quickly as I hoped for.

Noelle sure is happy to be out of the bandages though. She's become more vocal again and last night I watched her sleep with her head tucked behind her in between her shoulders - which she wasn't doing when bandaged. She looked so comfy and peaceful.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#207858 - 08/27/09 10:05 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
You're right EM, the original photos show how far they've come. Sort of like the half empty / half full glass. I BET Noelle was happy to get those bandages off, as was Cleo. The entire time she was bandaged, she didn't make a sound of any kind. It was very spooky. She slowly returned to normal after the bandage came off. It was so good to hear her scream! Let's both pray that in the not too distant future, we'll have two entirely healed birdies!

Pat

One Day At A Time
#207866 - 08/27/09 10:34 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Cleo's Mom
Let's both pray that in the not too distant future, we'll have two entirely healed birdies!

I'm with you Pat!!!

I was very pleasantly surprised this afternoon. Everyday I have been massaging Emu oil into Noelle's chest by reaching up underneath her shirt. LOL, sounds almost obscene doesn't it? Anyway, today I wanted to have a good look and thought she may need a shirt change. I undid the tie around her neck. I am amazed at the improvement in just 4 days. Much of the speckling is gone and the wound looks ALOT better than it did Monday. I checked the inside of the shirt, and there is not even one little hint of blood, or staining. I massaged the Emu oil in and re-tied the neck. Things are definitely looking up today.

#207869 - 08/27/09 10:57 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Sounds like Noelle is going to bounce back quick from this set back! Way to go EM and Noelle!
The emu oil really seems to do the trick for her. What would happen if you continued to use it after she has healed? Do you think it may help prevent another sore? Just a thought. I don't know anything about Emu Oil so don't know if there is any negatives that go along with using it.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#207880 - 08/28/09 12:31 AM Re: Noelle [Re: BE2Cassie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Wonderful news, EM! What's the status on the sheepskin delivery? I hope it's on it's way - this time via USPS??

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#207886 - 08/28/09 12:46 AM Re: Noelle [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Nancy, that is a good thought and I will ask Dr. M about it. From speaking with my AV and doing independent research, there are no short or long term side effects (in humans anyway). I know that it is used to treat arthritis, among other things and in addition to it's anti-inflammatory properties, it is also a natural pain reliever. Whether it will serve any type of preventative purposes, I don't know, but it is definitely worth asking about.

I am still just in awe over the improvement I saw today (wish I had gotten the camera out). I am also pretty confident that the changes I made to her dress helped. This fleece is soft and smoother than the inside of a fleece lined sweatshirt, but sturdier. I widened the area across the chest to fit more snug up against the wing joint and brought it all the way up to where the ties at the neck start. When she moves around it gives, so her skin can breath, but it's snug enough that she can't worm her beak in. Or maybe she can, but she isn't. I've noticed her pulling and tugging at it some (as she's always done) but it looks as though it's thick enough that her beak isn't pinching her skin.

The replacement sheepskin is scheduled for delivery on Monday. If things continue as they are, I am going to put it away for safe-keeping I think. As long as I continue to see this kind of improvement, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". LOL!

#207947 - 08/28/09 05:45 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Noelle has accepted preening from Echo since the day they were introduced, however Echo has shunned Noelle's overtures to return the favor. My AV always asks how she and Echo's friendship is progressing and when I mentioned this to him he said "Considering what Noelle has done to her feathers, I don't blame Echo for saying NO WAY!" We had a good laugh.

Well that changed just a few minutes ago - 8 months and 2 days later to be exact....

FINALLY

Feels Good

I couldn't decide between the 2 pics, so I posted both. smile

#207948 - 08/28/09 05:56 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Oh Janet, that just takes my breath away. Talk about a moment in time. Your heart must have stopped when you saw it.

You were right to post both.

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bev

Tell Echo I said it was about damn time. Noelle can preen me any day. LOL

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#207949 - 08/28/09 06:14 PM Re: Noelle [Re: ZazuSally]  
Java_One Offline
Java_One  Offline

Hawaii
SO PRECIOUS!!!!

#207951 - 08/28/09 06:46 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Java_One]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
And there is a huge lesson here for us humans. Noelle didn't push preening Echo. She waited patiently and got permission before she proceeded to preen her. She waited and waited until she got permission.

We can all learn from that. Be a bird and wait until you get permission to do anything to your bird because that's what birds do.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
Page 20 of 48 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 47 48

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny