Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#202802 - 06/24/09 10:10 AM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: stephaniew]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Unfortunately, not all vets in the AAV are good. Since you really didn't like this one, I would just go to another if possible. Don't stick with a lousy vet when you need serious help like you do. You definitely need to get tests done to rule out any diseases.

The bigger chains don't always have the best toys, are you able to order online at all? There are some really great toys, like the ones from http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/
I would definitely keep a supply of wooden toys and foraging toys. MPBT has one item called the SS Spiral, it's a stainless steel wire with an acrylic ball on the end. You can load these up with wood and even food (after washing of course). You don't have to use any fancy wood, just get untreated pine from home depot. Doing this definitely will save some money.

As for the food, if you feel the change is upsetting him, try slowing it down a little. Getting him onto a healthy diet is definitely important, but forcing it could go badly. Definitely cut down on the peanuts and some of the people food (bread is one they shouldn't really have). As for the pellets, I use Harrisons myself and my birds do very well on it. I believe others are good as long as they aren't colored and don't smell sickly sweet (like Tropican).

Good luck with Charlie, I hope you can get him on the road to healing soon.

#202806 - 06/24/09 11:16 AM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: Cidsa]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Stephanie I hope that you don't think that I was attacking you about the ferret incident. I realized it was an accident. I've worked with a number of ferrets over the past few years and have been amazed at their ability to escape and even more so on their ability to get through tiny cracks. A closed door with a small gap is no problem for them to squirm through. I board ferrets in my home and have to keep them in a seperate room with no gaps under the main door. I had one that could squeeze under one closet door that had a 1/2 inch gap under it.
If you should decide that a sanctuary is best Janny suggested Best Friends in Kanab. Here is a link to their bird sanctuary.
http://www.bestfriends.org/atthesanctuary/animals/birds.cfm
Some other great toys that are inexpensive include food grade boxes tied to the side of the cage filled with paper, wood, treats, raffia and small foot toys. I do this daily with Cassie along with paper bags filled with a treat. With the bags you can take a lunch bag put a treat in it and fold it up then put it in another bag. Keep placing it in bags until full and then put in cage. I hang them from the top of the cage. Artichokes make a great toy. I poke a whole in the stem of a large raw artichoke and hang from the top of the cage. Coffee filters are great for making large flowers that can be attached to the side of the cage. You poke two holes through the bottom of about 12 filters then fluff each filter, looks like a large peony. Needless to say when I get home there is about a foot of torn paper and cardboard on the bottom of her cage. Cassie has been over preening lately from a heavy molt and I've been loading her cage up every morning in an attempt to keep her busy. It's helped to distract her. I also turn the tv on to cartoons for her or pop in one of her videos. She has been on neurontin and metacam now for over a month. We're fortunate so far and she has only gone after some of the smaller blood feathers. She also gets a shower daily with aloe and water 1 part aloe to 10 parts water ratio and she gets a warm cup of chamomile tea every night before bed. Her vet doesn't believe in using a collar unless it's an emergency. She has given me one, a soft collar with strict orders not to use it unless Cassie is bleeding and needs to be transported to the office. Hopefully some of our members will come on from the Vegas area with suggestions for vets in the area. You may also want to give Best Friends a call and ask for their recommendation on a vet in Vegas. I'm sure they know of one and most likely use one there.
Best of luck to you and Charlie.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#202809 - 06/24/09 03:40 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
I pray this is a turning point!!!! Foraging toys are great. He should have at least one toy of each type;
foraging
climbing
chewing
foot
preening
I am appalled by that vet! No tests??? Pellets only??? Sounds like time for her to retire...
Keep us posted and you can do this!!! Parronting has its hard times for sure!!!
Tania

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#202818 - 06/24/09 07:00 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: Rukesmom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I am wondering if you would mind posting a picture of Charlie so we can see and maybe understand more of what you are dealing with?

I am glad you are thinking this through. That has made me feel so relieved. Please keep trying for his sake.I will be keeping you and Charlie in my thoughts and prayers. Like I said before if you want to try one of those great dresses all you have to do is ask for EchosMom's email address and I know she would ship one out to you. They are not restrictive like a collar and still keep them very safe.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#202822 - 06/24/09 07:24 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Look into the eyes of this beautiful, gentle and trusting soul and you tell me - is euthanization the answer?

EM, you are killing me...that photos is remarkably expressive...her eyes are the windows into her soul...its tragic to think she too could have faced an uncertain future had you not adopted...

#202823 - 06/24/09 07:28 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yes, I would be more than happy to send a sweater for Charlie. I am also open to speaking with your privately, to share my experiences and life with Noelle, and offer you moral support. As Jan said, if you would like to open up the lines of communication just say so on the thread, and one of the Administrators will provide our email addresses to one another via email.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#202839 - 06/25/09 10:16 AM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
stephaniew Offline
stephaniew  Offline

Em, I would love to open communication, please. I am desperate. I came home today to blood everywhere and now he is picking his back. No open areas on back that I can see, but there will be,I am sure. I must be doing something wrong. He is not abused like these stories I am reading and yet he is so unhappy. I dont know that he will make it long enough for the sweater to get here, but I would love to try it. I will pay for any shipping, materials, or should I try to make one in the mean time? Maybe we can talk tomorrow. Anyone else who wants to call is more than welcome. I need all the moral support I can get at this point. I got online and looked at best friends and am impressed. I have only two concerns with them. Would they use a collar on him and how do they screen the homes that they adopt to. I can not bear the thought that charlie could end up in a worse or another unsuitable home. I have not given up, but he is worse and I am going to have to make a decision quicker than I anticipated. I at least want to know my options in order to make the best and most educated decision. Do you guys really feel that a change in home after this many years wouldn't be overwhelming?? OMG, it is going to kill me to give him up, but I have to do what is best for him if it comes to that. Please do not think I am selfish if I chose to do that. But apparently I can not give him what he needs.I have tried so hard in the last two weeks and thought we were going to head in right direction. I know this is a lifelong challenge and am not expecting an overnight change. I can post pictures sat night when my son gets home from work. I dont think I am computer literate enough to get them online. I do, however, know how to email them. EM, I wish you lived closer and you could take him. I probably would not hesitate if I knew one of you guys had him. Let's talk tomorrow, it is late here and I have to get up in 5 hours. Am I not supposed to put personal info on here? Like phone number or email? Thanks again guys, for everything. This website has restored my faith in humanity.

#202853 - 06/25/09 06:02 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: stephaniew]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You've got email Stephanie (the one that you used to register your account here). Hang in there!! Also, if I were you I would give Best Friends a call and schedule an on-site visit or perhaps one of their outreach coordinators can pay a visit to you and Charlie. But let's explore some ideas and see if we can't keep Charlie and you together. We'll talk more about that.

P.S. No we do not allow the posting of private contact information on the board for the protection of all our members. The staff will assist in opening up communication with permissions given on both sides and with established members only.

Last edited by EchosMom; 06/25/09 06:23 PM.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#202863 - 06/25/09 07:02 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
To answer your question about rehoming....For some it is much needed when sometimes life just can't go the way we want it too. Normally we at Mytoos try to get our members to make some changes and try to work things out in their homes before exploring other options like Rescues,Sanctuary,or another home.You home and family have been through so many changes and is very high stress right now and we need to start there.These birds really can pick up on stress and don't know how to deal with it so they will get behaviors from frustration.

To give you an example from my own flock...I adopted a little Princess in March,Helen. I adopted her from a friend of mine that has a rescue called Birdline. We had talked about Helen a few times and I felt drawn to her.

Helen had lived with a man that got terminally ill and passed away in his home. He had cut contact off to his friends many months before this so not many knew he was even sick.to make a long story short Helen was left in the home with his deceased body for weeks before someone found them.She was willed to someone who Helen knew from the petstore he had bought her from. It was the lady that hand fed her in the begining.After much effort from my friend at Birdline and the lady who had her Helen was improving but still not to her potential. She was very depressed and just plucked at her feathers and was starting to break them off at the blood supply as well.

She was given to Birdline Rescue and then I agreed to adopt her from there. She was given a clean bill of health to our suprize and went through her quarentine here and fell madly in love with my hubby on site. Now it has flipped and she loves me allot.

Helen is doing MARVELOUS! She is growing the majority of her feathers back and just looking so great.She is a total clown and active and just so full of life. You would never know it is the same bird. I will give you a link or two to have a look at before and after pictures. I have only had her for 4 months too. So sometimes a change in environment is what is needed for them.Helen was never abused either and the lady who had helen willed to her really loved her but it just wasn't what helen needed at the time.

I am not saying you need to rehome Charlie. I would like for you to explore different things and get a good Avian Vet on your side as part of a team with Janet and maybe her vet as well and try to help him. One thing is there is no quick fix. It will take much time and strength but I know you can do it for Charlie or I would not be writing this reply. Try some things and if you choose later to rehome him then that is an option.
Helen Before Picture
Helen After 4 Months

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#202983 - 06/26/09 10:02 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
For those following Charlie's story I spoke to Stephanie earlier. She has received an avian vet referral from a friend of a friend and is going to try and get Charlie in today. If that vet isn't available she is going to contact her regular vet and Best Friends (who she has already made contact with) to get him in somewhere today. The last vet did not even bandage the wound, which is about the size of 1/2 dollar. Hopefully she can get this boy bandaged and on the road to healing today.

Stephanie, there are many of us here pulling for you and Charlie and will help you get through this!!

#203048 - 06/27/09 05:21 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I have not spoken to Stephanie yet, but Stephanie spoke to Best Friends yesterday and I spoke with Rick w/Best Friends this morning. She and Charlie are getting assistance - to what degree we are not sure yet, but help is on the way and that is what is important.

Many thanks to Best Friends from all of us at Mytoos!

#203050 - 06/27/09 05:56 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
That is great news, Janet!! All my best wishes to Stephanie and Charlie!! Please keep us posted - there are so many of us pulling for you guys!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#203061 - 06/27/09 08:51 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Such a heart breaking story, and again thank goodness for all of you here to help out Stephanie and Charlie. This is another reason why fluff just cant be tolerated. Stephanie and Charlie needed facts and quick help. Please keep us posted, and I will be praying.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#203065 - 06/27/09 09:19 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I have spoken to Stephanie and she was unable to get Charlie seen by a vet yesterday...hopefully today, maybe. I have seen pictures of Charlie and honestly, he's a mess. Stephanie said she will call me tonight, and I will ask her permission to post them. I just want to double check and make sure I have permission.

Dave from PARS, our very own "macawman" has offered to step up to the plate if we need him. Distance wise it will be much more difficult for him, but we have plans in motion, and a backup. Thank you Dave. You are one of my heroes.

#203089 - 06/28/09 02:30 AM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Stephanie and her son are driving Charlie to Best Friend's tonight, and one of their vet tech's (who I believe is our member Parrot Person) is going to treat the wound and wrap Charlie up. Best Friends has also secured a visit for Charlie to see an avian tomorrow.

Thank you Rick, and all the people at Best Friend's!!!! You all are also one of my heroes.

#203135 - 06/28/09 07:44 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I just got an update from Stephanie. They didn't arrive in the area until 1am so they got a hotel and just arrived at Best Friends. It has been decided that Charlie is staying at BF's until at least Thursday of this week. This will allow time for him to be evaluated by the AV and for his labs to come back.

#203136 - 06/28/09 07:51 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

What a wonderful group of people, to help out this way. Please let Stephanie know that we are all praying for her and Charlie!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#203137 - 06/28/09 08:02 PM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Thank god Charlie is at a place that knows how to help; I am honored to "know" Echosmom, Macawman, and all of you have been so amazing helping Stephanie and Charlie!!!!
Best wishes, thoughts, and prayers for a full and speedy recovery!

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#203291 - 07/01/09 02:33 AM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: Rukesmom]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
Any news?

#203293 - 07/01/09 02:41 AM Re: What type of behavior is this? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: FeatheredAngels
What a wonderful group of people, to help out this way. Please let Stephanie know that we are all praying for her and Charlie!

+1...I hope they can help them...keep us posted...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny