Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201808 - 06/05/09 01:03 PM RB2 won't come out of cage anymore  
MacawMom Offline
MacawMom  Offline

Hello-
I just came across this board. Good stuff. My male RB2 that I have had for 7 years has stopped coming out his cage for about the past 2 weeks. Usually he would lift his foot up whenever I was near his cage for me to pick him up. Now he just shies away. If I push him to come out he will bite me.

What happened and what am I to do to get him to come out?

Any ideas to turn this around would be welcome.

Thank You!

#201810 - 06/05/09 02:14 PM Re: RB2 won't come out of cage anymore [Re: MacawMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
First of all, you need to stop pushing him to come out. Forcing a bird to do something he does not want to do creates a whole other set of problems like mistrust, fear, etc. Always keep in mind that your primary goal should be to set the bird up to succeed. If he were mine, I would just leave him alone until I had earned his trust again. Have you read The Bird and the Bank Account in the Behaviour Section?

Does he have favourite treats? If so, what are they?

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#201811 - 06/05/09 02:51 PM Re: RB2 won't come out of cage anymore [Re: ZazuSally]  
MacawMom Offline
MacawMom  Offline

Bev-
I read that article and I will be starting some of the suggestions when I get home today. His favorite treats are pistachios which he only gets one or two a day. I will start using those only for positive reinforcements.

On a side note, I thought that getting a less "needy" type of Too would be easier. He can be very sweet and loving but then turn on a dime and attack me. He is unpredictable and always has been. I guess it's a Too thing. My macaw is so much easier.

#201812 - 06/05/09 03:24 PM Re: RB2 won't come out of cage anymore [Re: MacawMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
My Zazu does that too but I would not call it an attack. She'll be sitting with me and I'll be preening her and she'll turn around and try to nip me. I believe it is because I touched a blood feather or touched something that I shouldn't. Macawmom, behaviour always has a reason. We may never figure out what that reason is but we can certainly come up with some antecedent changes (environmental changes) to facilitate more wanted behaviour.

I would chop those pistachios into 4 pieces. He only gets those for requested/good/wanted behaviour.

He keeps you on your toes though, doesn't he? LOL I actually like their complexity. Never a dull moment.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#201829 - 06/05/09 09:43 PM Re: RB2 won't come out of cage anymore [Re: ZazuSally]  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We have two RB2s (Harry who is 6 and Hannah who is 11). Sometimes Harry or Hannah will not want to come out of his/her cage. We usually leave the cage door open and sit about a bodylength away and talk to him or her. At that point they might come out, but we leave it to them if they want to or not. Most of the time they will, but sometimes not. Their cage is their home and haven and they need to feel they are safe there. They might be tired and not want to play or come out just like we might not like to go to the store or go to a movie.

Is there anything in your RB2's routine that has changed that might make him not want to come out? We had a hawk that would fly by the window for awhile that scared both of ours. We also look for signs that they want to go back to their cage when they are out on their playgym like Hannah will head for the door or Harry will fly to the screen; then they know that they have the security of being able to get back to their cage when they want to go.

Harry can be very hormonal this time of year and bite suddenly with little warning.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny