Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#200799 - 05/13/09 01:11 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Garnet]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I don't quite understand, because the video wouldn't work at my mom's house and headphones are too quiet...at the library. But I could never euthanize one of my birds just because I didn't want it anymore. Iw ould either find a excellent home for them, or I would keep it.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#200800 - 05/13/09 01:23 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Garnet]  
ILuvMyBE2 Offline
ILuvMyBE2  Offline

Georgia
Garnet, I have to believe the Humane Society would much prefer all animals are rehomed instead of euthanized. I also have to hope that they did not mean that we should just give up and run to the vet to have any animal put down. I believe that they meant they cannot do anything for them, because they have run out of options. I understand that more rescues sounds like a great answer, but is it really? How many rescues do we need? How can we build enough quality rescues to be sure our birds are allowed to live out their lives? The cost is huge, and the manpower... I guess I just choose to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and I do believe that you love the animals and birds very very much. And I do understand how heart wrenching the subject of euthanasia is. I also believe that your birds are quite fortunate to have found you. You and people like you are not common. I took in an unwanted bird who is very special. I am not sure yet if I even qualify as a person with the dedication to commit to this over the long run and I love animals and deeply love my cockatoo!

Peggy
(Owned by 1 budgie, and formerly owned by a BE2)
#200808 - 05/13/09 02:43 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: ILuvMyBE2]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I think it's important to remember (no disrespect to Mira) that the comment on HSUS' position was not from HSUS directly and I suspect somewhat taken out of context. I really, really hope that the next segment expounds on this further.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#200812 - 05/13/09 03:33 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I think most people would be surprised at the level of euthanasia being conducted on parrots today. It is happening.

#200820 - 05/13/09 04:07 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I agree Charlie, and it sickens me. It's already becoming reality and the breeders just keep pumping more chicks into the over-saturated market.

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/13/09 04:10 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#200821 - 05/13/09 04:13 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Charlie]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
State on Euthanasia HSUS

Statement on Euthanasia

The euthanasia of animals has been acknowledged by most animal protection organizations, including The HSUS, as an appropriate and humane means of ending the suffering of an animal in physical distress. It is also used widely to end the lives of animals who have severe behavioral problems, including aggression, and cannot be adopted into an appropriate new home because they pose a threat to the health and safety of people or other animals.

The use of euthanasia to end the lives of healthy, adoptable animals is more controversial. The practice is still conducted in many parts of the United States for dogs and cats because open-admission shelters and animal control agencies do not turn away animals and do not have sufficient space to house all of the animals who need shelter. These public and private facilities face the lose-lose choice of euthanizing healthy animals or turning them away. The HSUS advocates the use of a wide range of tools—including training and education of the pet-keeping public to reduce the frequency of animal relinquishment, public and private spay and neuter programs to slow the birth rate for animals, active promotion of adoptions of shelter animals, and aggressive policies to discourage excessive breeding of animals, especially from puppy mills—to create a social environment where the number of people seeking to adopt animals is roughly equivalent to the number of homeless animals.

The HSUS is committed to pursuing a continuing program of investigation, study, and training related to acceptable euthanasia methods. We recommend for use only those methods that cause a rapid loss of consciousness and that cause minimal pain, distress, and suffering in the animal. We oppose any euthanasia methods or techniques that do not meet these humane principles

** The HSUS has avoided mentioning parrots altogether... I would be surprised if their view on euthanasia of parrots were any different from cats & dogs.

#200838 - 05/13/09 04:16 PM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Liisa B]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Liisa B
** The HSUS has avoided mentioning parrots altogether... I would be surprised if their view on euthanasia of parrots were any different from cats & dogs.

I can assure you that it is not. The American public has become acclimated, and to some extent, jaded to the killing of millions of dogs and cats each year and accepts (or is that ignores?) it as long as it is done behind closed doors and out of sight. Not so with parrots, I believe, so they keep a pretty low profile on that subject in order to avoid the public backlash.

Personally, I believe that to some extent both HSUS and the ASPCA have lost focus on their core mission of saving lives and serving animal welfare to become animal control organizations instead. As such, they seem to have adopted the philosophy of government-funded animal control agencies to "adopt a few and kill the rest". I don't know. Maybe that's necessary with the overwhelming abundance of unwanted cats and dogs. Not so with parrots though. Not yet anyway. I don't see animal control killing the birds, but I don't see them proactively seeking homes for them eather or even preparing to care for them until a home can be found. That certainly doesn't bode well for the future of any birds that might come into their care. For example...

I was recently contacted by our local Animal Services Department to take in a budgie that had been recaptured from the wild. First time in 8 years that they have called on us so I was looking forward to seeing what kind of provisions they had to care for birds. Upon arrival, I was led to a utility closet where I found the bird in a filthy carrier, covered with a dirty work towel and surrounded by utility sinks, mops and mop buckets that reeked of cleaning solutions. Not a bird cage in sight. What does that say about their preparations to handle the bird over-population problem? They told me that the budgie was "on it's last day", so what do you suppose their solution to it's presense was? Ok, yes, they called and I hope they continue to do so. However, they uses our services but do not support us in any way, so how long can we continue to support them?

And then there is the local humane society the emailed me earlier this week. First time I have ever heard from them as well. They weren't calling about a bird though. They were calling about 2 cages that someone had donated. However, instead of using the cages to expand and improve their own ability to care for unwanted birds(there is not a cage in the place), they put them up for sale in their thrift shop. One might say that they depend on us to handle the birds, but they didn't call to donate the cages. They contacted us to buy them. What does that say about their preparations to handle an influx of unwanted birds or even their acknowledgement that there is such a need?

My point is that we have not yet reached the point in the bird world where euthansia is technically necessary on the wholesale scale that it perhaps is with cats and dogs. However, it may be the only option they have if they are as totally unprepared for and undedicated to the bird over-population problem as our local resources are. Particularily if there is no local avian welfare organization. Both of these organizations say that they have no need to prepare for unwanted birds because they see so few. Is that because no one wants to turn their bird over to an organization where there is a high probability that it will be put to death? If people are not relinquishing their unwanted birds to such organizations, then what are they doing with them? Or, is bird over-population a myth as so many of these organizations believe?

Yes, if euthansia of unwanted birds is to be avoided, it appears to me that we do need more rescues and sanctuaries dedicated to the avian species but it is not going to happen without the grassroots support of the avian community in particular and the public in general. By grassroots, I mean putting our money where our mouth is. For example, there has been much discussion of the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary lately. They are, no doubt, a model organization and everyone seems to agree that their local rescues should be just like BFAS. I could not agree more. Every rescue/sanctuary should have $34,000,000 a year in public-support donations. Every rescue/sanctuary should have $26,000,000 in surplus cash sitting in the bank. Every rescue/sanctuary should own 3000 acres of land and have another 30,000 under lease from the government on which to expand and care for more unwanted animals. Every rescue/sanctuary should have 1 full time employee for every 5 animals in their care. Every rescue/sanctuary should have one full-time professional administrator for every 250 animals in their care. Every rescue/sanctuary should have hundreds of volunteers to help with the animals care and keep the organization "on target and on their toes". Every rescue/sanctuary should have a world renowned, high-dollar Los Angles PR firm to handle their fund raising, keep their cause in front of the cameras, their names in the press, and on peoples minds. Mostly, every rescue/sanctuary should have the kind of support from the public and the animal welfare community that has made BFAS it is today. It would take no less to have a "Best Friends" in every state in the union, but it would certainly go a long way in insuring that birds never see the wholesale killings common with unwanted cats and dogs today.

Ok, that's my 2-cents worth and I'll get off my soapbox now. Getting back on topic, for those who have not read Nathan Winograd's book, Redemption, it provides a very interesting perspective on the euthansia policies and practices of HSUS and the ASPCA.

Dave

#200840 - 05/13/09 05:12 PM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Macawman]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Dave, it sounds like you are angry at BFAS for doing it right? Best Friends started off with a group of friends with a passion for animals. They had very little money at the time. It grew because people believed in what they were doing, they believed in what they were doing. I have seen avian rescues in Ontario, Canada that are nothing more than a money making operation. Birds aren't vetted, etc. My biggest pet peeve is the breeder/rescues and we have a couple of those. I would love to have a rescue such as Best Friends in Ontario that I could support. I now focus my support on raising funds for PDD research because I will not support a "rescue" that is run by a breeder.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#200846 - 05/13/09 06:00 PM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: ZazuSally]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

Originally Posted By: ZazuSally
Dave, it sounds like you are angry at BFAS for doing it right? Best Friends started off with a group of friends with a passion for animals. They had very little money at the time. It grew because people believed in what they were doing, they believed in what they were doing. I have seen avian rescues in Ontario, Canada that are nothing more than a money making operation. Birds aren't vetted, etc. My biggest pet peeve is the breeder/rescues and we have a couple of those. I would love to have a rescue such as Best Friends in Ontario that I could support. I now focus my support on raising funds for PDD research because I will not support a "rescue" that is run by a breeder.

Bev

LOL! You know, Bev, I knew as I typed it that someone would probably take it that I was angry or "sour-grapes" at Best Friends. I tried not to come off that way because nothing could be further from the truth. The fact is that I have nothing but the utmost of admiration and respect for Best Friends and I guess that is why I chose to hold them up as a model.

No doubt, Best Friends is a success story and a model of what all rescues should be. The purpose of my statements was not to put Best Friends down in any way, but to illustrate the magnitude of the resources and public support that makes Best Friends the success story that it is today. That's not to say that they are perfect. They have their fair share of skeletons in the closet if one cares to look, but they are hands down the best model we have today and are likely to have any time soon for what can and should be done nation wide if we are to avoid the day that euthansia becomes an every-day solution for the parrot over-population problem. My point was the hugh amount of time, effort and resources that have gone into making BF what it is today and what would be required to duplicate that effort 49 more times.

Dave

#200849 - 05/13/09 06:14 PM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Macawman]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Sorry Dave, I misunderstood then.

I never even heard of them until January 1, 2009. National Geographic Channel, Dogtown was on the whole day. I was amazed. I watched every single episode and was blown away by what they did. If there was an avian rescue in Ontario that did half as much as BF's does, I would support them 150%, unfortunately, there is not. I do support my local Humane Society and they do have an Avian Program. I don't think they get a lot of birds though which is probably a good thing. Even here in Canada good homes are hard to find for birds. They are getting dumped at an alarming rate.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#200867 - 05/13/09 08:15 PM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: ZazuSally]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

Originally Posted By: ZazuSally
Sorry Dave, I misunderstood then.

I never even heard of them until January 1, 2009. National Geographic Channel, Dogtown was on the whole day. I was amazed. I watched every single episode and was blown away by what they did. If there was an avian rescue in Ontario that did half as much as BF's does, I would support them 150%, unfortunately, there is not. I do support my local Humane Society and they do have an Avian Program. I don't think they get a lot of birds though which is probably a good thing. Even here in Canada good homes are hard to find for birds. They are getting dumped at an alarming rate.

Bev

No sweat, Bev.

Best Friends is a tough act to follow, but they are amazing. I guess the only thing that really bugs me about them (and it's not really their fault) is that they are the yardstick by which the rest of us are measure. That is a lofty thing, no doubt, but not necessarily a valid or fair comparison. BF is a "general purpose" (not species specific) rescue/sanctuary that has been around for the better part of 30 years now dealing with all kinds of animals long before the parrot situation ever came to light. The vast majority of avian rescues in existance today have only been in operation 5 - 8 years on average. Some of them are shisters and crooks and some of them are decent caring folks just like the founders of BF. In many cases, their only fault is that they are today where that "small group of friends with little to work with" where 30 years ago. Especially the "little to work with" part. Most of them will burn out and go under. Those that don't may achieve BF's level of resources but it's not going to happen overnight without a whole lot of help from us.

Dave

#225074 - 09/06/10 08:52 AM Re: CBS News on Rescues [Re: Macawman]  
unagi Offline
unagi  Offline

virginia beach VA USA
Euthanasia the bad people who breed birds captured from the wild.
euthanasia parrots it is like euthanasia kids their about 2 to 5 years old.
parrots are so smart their are not pets .how can we help all parrots . poor parrots
so sorry for parrot.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny