Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#199173 - 04/21/09 03:08 AM My first Bluebirds!  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I am so excited about this pair of Eastern Bluebirds. My neighbor about a half mile away has them every year and we have rarely seen them in our garden in the 20 years we have lived here. Some of you might remember about three years ago I bought a special Bluebird house and all I have ever raised in it is FLYING SQUIRRELS. LOL Last week I saw and bought a $10 Bluebird house at Walmart and stuck it on a post. This activity started the next day! (Oh, we also have a large number of Indigo Buntings this year!) smile

Love is in the air!

#199174 - 04/21/09 03:13 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Charlie, I opened this thread immediately thinking you might be stealing our Blue Jays. LOL The blue jays here make the worse sound and have been known to dive bomb people who get too close to their nest.

Actually, I'm not sure if they are really our blue jays. They are spectacular to look at so I'm going to say yes they are ours. LOL

Canadian Irritating Blue Jays. That's their official bird name. LOL

I'm not even allowed to have a bird feeder out on my balcony. Isn't that ridiculous? I used to love watching the birds out through the window although there is a male and female cardinal that hang around here. And then across the way is the massive lawn gulls. You ever see those? I think they are related to the parking lot gulls.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#199175 - 04/21/09 03:18 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: ZazuSally]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yes, we have the noisy Blue Jays! I watched one knock a squirrel out of a tree last week. LOL We also have lots of Northern Cardinals. There are too many species of Gulls for me to keep them straight but I have never heard of "lawn" and "parking lot" Gulls! smirk

#199178 - 04/21/09 03:32 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
What is your very favourite bird? I love the Snowy Owl and Harpy Eagle. And I really like Chick-a-dees. I had one land in my hand up at a cottage one time. It was the most amazing thing that this wild bird trusted me enough to land in my hand. Food is a powerful motivator.

Have you seen Life of Birds? My sister bought it for me 8 years ago. I had no idea birds were as fascinating as they are.

You took that picture of that Blue Jay?

Bev

#199179 - 04/21/09 03:43 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Those bluebirds are beautiful Charlie and you take magnificent pictures. It looks like the female wasn't too pleased in pic #3 though - LOL!

Bev, we have alot of gulls here too, but I've never heard of "lawn" or "parking lot" gulls either. confused Alot of people here refer to the seagulls as "sky rats". frown

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#199181 - 04/21/09 03:46 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: ZazuSally]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I really like the little birds best. Hummingbirds mostly but I do love the Black-capped Chickadees. They are amazingly intelligent and can be very trusting, as you saw. I like to watch them take the Cardinal's sunflower seeds, fly over to the metal trellis, hold the seed against the metal with their feet and use their beaks to peck open the seed. They are very sassy too!

I have not seen that film but will look it up. This time of year, I spend all the time I can birding and taking pictures. cool

#199182 - 04/21/09 03:48 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
She's reaching down to take the grub from the male in picture number three. The detail is not the best!

#199185 - 04/21/09 03:57 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Charlie, you really are quite an amazing nature photographer. I am bowin'.. great job.. beautiful pix.

#199186 - 04/21/09 03:58 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Charlie
She's reaching down to take the grub from the male in picture number three. The detail is not the best!

Well the detail here isn't the best either - I don't have my glasses on - LOL! I meant to say before that those squirrels sitting in the birdhouse are precious.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#199187 - 04/21/09 04:01 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
I just went back to see the rest of the pictures. Duh.... LOL I love that little Swamp chick-a-dee. And isn't that a Canada Goose?

Janet, I was joking when I said lawn and parking lot gulls. Supposed to be seagulls - well, there is no sea in Ontario so they hang around parking lots and on the lawn across the street. I saw a hawk take one last year. It was incredible. The guy from the Raptor Centre said they don't usually eat seagulls. There were two of them and the one watching was much bigger so most likely a female. I went over to the spot a couple hours later and all was left was a little pile of feathers. It bugs me when people call pigeons rats. I keep telling them that pigeons are very smart. Humans really do feel entitled, don't they? Personally, I think we are doing a very good job of screwing up the planet.

That Life of Birds is on a 5 DVD set. Actually I have the tapes. It's Sir David Attenborough. It was fascinating.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I really enjoyed them.

Bev

#199197 - 04/21/09 05:21 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: ZazuSally]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
AWESOME PICS!

Blue Jays actually look kindof odd up close?! Their heads are funny, looks like they have a beard too.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#199199 - 04/21/09 05:40 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: sandiego]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Charlie awesome pics! I wish we had blue birds up here. Do you get Cedar Wax Wings down there? Gorgeous little birds. And Tufted Titmouse?
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#199204 - 04/21/09 06:05 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Those are really nice pictures!

I like this time of year here because I get to see a lot of species migrate through that nest up in the Arctic. I saw lots of Tundra Swans last week, along with Snow Geese and Greater White-fronted Geese. I know where there's a colony of nesting Great Blue Herons and at the end of April and start of May, they've begun nesting but are visible since all the leaves aren't out yet. I need to go visit them soon!

There are lots of Blue Jays in my neighbourhood, but I can't say their screeches bother me since I have an Amazon, two conures and a cockatoo. I've been desensitized to loud bird noises.

I'd like to see a Cardinal this year. They've only recently begun coming this far north, and have been showing up in a couple parks around here.

#199207 - 04/21/09 07:58 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Garnet]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
We are seeing lots of migration right now as well. We see the Cedar Waxwings in passing but not many stay in the area.

We always have the Tufted Titmouse.

Samantha, that jay is a juvenile, they are somewhat skinny. Here is the same bird in the FLUFFED MODE. LOL

Bev, I have seen quite of few of Attenborough's videos. They are absolutely amazing. I will look up that set!

Thanks for all the compliments! smile

#199208 - 04/21/09 11:34 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
umbimom Offline
umbimom  Offline

central PA
Charlie, I am sooo jealous. I too am a bird watcher and I have many different kind of birds in my yard. I have 4 blue bird boxes and have never had blue birds in them. They have been there for 10 years and the only bird I get in them is sparrows.

One of my favorite birds is the golden finch. I have a deep purple lilac tree and that is where the finch feeder is. When it starts blooming it is so beautiful to look out and see the deep purple flowers and the little yellow birds in the tree. I will get a picture this year and post it. Sharon

#199254 - 04/21/09 07:05 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: umbimom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Most sites suggest no more than one Bluebird box per acre. The box should be fairly specific and many sites suggest an East/Southeast front facing. Here is a good site with some specific information.

http://www.50birds.com/BPEasternBluebird.htm

Yes, the Goldfinches make for some beautiful photographs this time of year. I hope you get some!

#199257 - 04/21/09 07:25 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Wow Great Pics CHarlie!!!!!!!!!

I have not ever seen such pretty birds as in your back yard. WOW!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#199268 - 04/21/09 08:21 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Janny]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
We have the Tufted Titmouse here all winter. I love watching and listening to them. The cedar waxwing just migrate through. I used to see them each year where I worked they would stop in the cherry tree and eat the previous falls cherries after they had dried out. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#199274 - 04/21/09 09:52 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
We get allot of the cedar waxwing here. I love them so much. They are such cute little birds.

I have the odd blue jay, allot of robins,a couple of canaries that come and nest in my cedar trees,and a few finches of different variety. I used to get some real pretty woodpeckers but they have not come the last couple of years.I am still trying to get humming birds. I am replanting this year to include some of their fav's.

Oh and ALLOT of crows.

Last edited by Janny; 04/21/09 09:53 PM.

Jan

#199293 - 04/22/09 03:05 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Janny]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Stunning pics Charlie. OMG those squirrls are adorable! My fav is the Blue Heron. There is a little marsh close to our farm that has all kinds of birds there. I just drove by it a couple hours ago and the water is very low. frown Just a few geese and ducks there right now. I wonder where they are. confused

Donna
Free as a bird???
#199308 - 04/22/09 04:30 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Donnalee]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Charlie - You take such beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them with all of us!

Donnalee, my favorite is the Blue Heron, too! We live near a large lake in north Dallas - Lake Lewisville - so every morning and every evening about an hour before dusk, I see a pair of blue herons languidly flapping their huge wings across my backyard towards the lake, with their long legs streaming out behind them cool.

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#199330 - 04/22/09 06:46 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: MissYumYum]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Beautiful pics as always Charlie! I am learning more about wildlife birds on this forum, than I have ever known before lol. I am going to pay closer attention now and see what all the different species are. I got a book for Christmas that identifies them. One that I know for sure we have is the Red Cardinal, it is absolutely beautiful.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#199333 - 04/22/09 10:06 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We have also had bluebirds the last several years or so. We put out "Cardinals Blend" wild bird seed. They eat the "meats" of the sunflower part of the seed. We also put a tray of mealworms out for them.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/turtletoo/Bluebirds.jpg

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#199355 - 04/23/09 12:58 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: RB2sMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Annette the way I found out about Blue Herons was one flew over just above my house. I caught it out of the corner of my eye and it was HUGE. I described it to hubby and he told me what it was. There is a little marsh just east of our farm where they hang out but sadly it looks like it is going to be a dud this year. It is so dry I have never seen the water so low there. I'll keep an eye on it and if I see anything interesting I'll post a pic.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#199369 - 04/23/09 04:14 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Donnalee]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Great photography! Send them to "National Geographic Magazine"!!!

Gail
#200201 - 05/03/09 10:03 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Bird Mom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'm not home right now but I talked to Peg and she bought mealworms for the Bluebirds. She feeds them a couple apiece three times a day on a flat feeder hung under an oak close to their house. She said after about three days, they immediately came to eat the worms together and they are waiting on the trellis for their breakfast every morning when she opens the garage door! I hope to get some pictures next week. They are still not sitting a nest. I don't think that little bit of feeding will spoil them to hunting, south Louisiana is "bug paradise". LOL

#200208 - 05/03/09 11:28 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
HAHAHA, they have Peg trained well! smile

#200307 - 05/05/09 06:32 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
ROFLMAO!!!! Aw Peg! Always thinking of others! lol.

I don't think a few mealworms should harm anything Charlie. They would eat much more than that in a day I would think.That would just be a nicely prepared snack for them is all.

Jan

#200313 - 05/05/09 07:22 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Janny]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
My mom has gotten the blue jays to eat peanuts out of her hand...she gets tons every year. I'll have to try to get my dad to snap a picture

Yvonne
@--\---
#200337 - 05/06/09 12:24 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Ok I didn't have time to read this entire thread but my eastern blue jays tried to fledge and then a storm came. We found the babies all huddled against a pine tree. They were in serious danger of preditors this time of night. We put them back in thier nest.. do you think mom and dad will come back? They have been lurking. I hate messing with nature but in this kind of storm, they had NO chance. This is the storm that blew the roof off in Dallas. Yeah, me and the husband are both soaked, but I couldn't let them be fox food, raccoon food, etc. Any ideas. We are keeping watch from the kitchen and the parents keep checking. They are soaked though and huddled together.

#200341 - 05/06/09 01:34 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I think that is the best thing you could have done. One time I put a barn swallow back in its nest. The Wildlife Rescue told me to do that. They said the parents would feed them even if they were left on the ground if I couldn't get him back in his nest. I'll bet the Blue Jays were glad to be back safe in their nest.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#200343 - 05/06/09 01:55 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Donnalee]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
ok, well 1 excaped again but the daddy is feeding it. Bad thing is it is almost night time and he is underneath a pine tree with no shelter. I'm thinking about putting hin back in the nest for the 3rd time. Mom and dad have come back for feedings. If he is left alone, he will get eaten.

#200344 - 05/06/09 02:00 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
You are their hero!

Gail
#200345 - 05/06/09 02:14 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Bird Mom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Well originally we resued 3. When we found the one, he was nestled with another. So all in all 4! Wow! I just hope I don't have to feed them like momma. I think they wil come back cuz they seemed p'ssd. You know how blue birds are, I have seen them attack huge animals to keep them away from the nest. Hopefully I did the right thing.

Oh, BTW....The carolina ren should be hatching any day now. I feel like an expectant mother! LOL! Can't wait! smile I love spring! (yeah, until mine hits puberty! LOL!)

#200367 - 05/06/09 04:03 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Hope all is well in the morning. They were snuggled up in the bluebird house at dusk. Pray for good fortune for my OUTDOOR flock!

#200380 - 05/06/09 12:51 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Alls well in the bluebird house this morning. Mom and dad are feeding the little excapees! Yeaaaa! I was worried that they would leave them alone since I had to touch them. My husband said it's and old wives tale. I guess he was right. smile smile smile

We also have the tufted titmouse. I love them but wish they would stop attacking my car mirrors and crapping all over my BLACK car. Dang! I have to chase them away a couple times a day....little buggers.

Last edited by Scarletts mom; 05/06/09 12:59 PM.
#200387 - 05/06/09 03:40 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
I was worried that they would leave them alone since I had to touch them. My husband said it's and old wives tale.

That is an old wives tale! Glad things are working out! smile

#200397 - 05/06/09 08:22 PM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
No new excapes today. Happy to report that the eastern bluebird is alive and well and attacking everything that gets near the nest this morning in SC! The squirrels are on high alert! heehee! They are even attacking Bluejays. They have to weigh in double maybe triple what those bb's weigh! Thanks Charlie! smile

#200477 - 05/08/09 12:28 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Bad news...when we got home from work tonight we didn't see mom and dad bluebird. After dinner we went to check the nest and it had been occupied by a four foot rat snake...no babies to be found. I feel like crying. So much work for those poor birds and they were almost ready to leave the nest. We got him out and he had about a 8 inch bulge in his midsection. Probably ate all 4. that is something I never thought of. There is allumium wrapped around the base so nothing could climb the pole to the house, he was pretty big though. frown

#200480 - 05/08/09 12:32 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
frown

#200483 - 05/08/09 12:51 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: EchosMom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Hopefully Charlie will pipe up and give me some tips to keep the snakes out for next season. frown I came in a gave Scarlett a kiss and it made me feel better. She is the reason I have come to care so much about birds. I never knew how smart they were until she came along.

#200497 - 05/08/09 02:30 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
So sorry...at least you tried.

Gail
#200509 - 05/08/09 03:32 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
There's nothing to say to ease the pain. It's just nature doing her job and really no reason to be upset, because it happens. I use a 1/2" galvanized pipe and screw it into a 1/2" FLOOR FLANGE attached to the bird house. I haven't had any problems but, then again, this is our first year to have nesting Bluebirds. Try not to worry unduly! smile

#200535 - 05/08/09 05:35 AM Re: My first Bluebirds! [Re: Charlie]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. frown I take things like that pretty hard too.

Donna
Free as a bird???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny