Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19723 - 08/22/06 04:12 AM Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
Hi all!! I've been dealing with a prolapsed male U2, Harley, since I got him ten months ago. Today a New Vet, suggested shots of Lupron. She believes that if Harley could get his mind and body away from thoughts of Sex, that perhaps his swollen vent will slowly return to normal. So he got his first shot today and every 2 weeks for an unknown time period. At $63 a shot, I pray it works.
We also are removing all shreading materials, except wood blocks and any empty bowls that could be used as a nest from his cage. We need to handle him less. So tonight he spent the evening on his tree stand in the middle of the kitchen. Where we could talk to him and hand feed him some treats but no petting. He dealth with the change okay, but everytime I walked near him he reached his claw out to me and it killed me not to pick him up. Of course he had a long ride to the Vet and after blood work, nail trimming and the shot, I'm sure him staying on the stand and not fluttering to the floor was due to being tired. Tomorrow is a new day and time will tell.
Does any of this make sense to you all??
He is very healthy other then his butt protruding from his vent. This is the second time that I have had a full blood work up on Harley. Everything always reads normal.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this has been a very frustrating time.

#19724 - 08/22/06 05:00 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
Satin Offline
Satin  Offline

Edmonton, Alberta
Hi there:

I don't know much about this issue that you are having with your u2 but man that would kill me. Did the vet distinctly instruct you not to touch your bird? He has been through much and sounds rather harse since these animals are needing the acquired touch.

I wish you the best!!!

#19725 - 08/23/06 12:48 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
The vet said to limit handling and petting. I guess anything that could cause any arousal. At this point I'm willing to try anything. This is day 2 on the bird tree and everything is still going fine. Still no change in the swollen vent, but I'm sure that this will take months to resolve. I just wanted to see if anyone with more experience then I have with birds might agree with the medicine and vet's techniques. Thanks for responding. I don't post often, but when I do I never get many responses.

#19726 - 08/23/06 01:45 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
Nikki's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Nikki's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Idaho
I'm so sorry but I know nothing about this. I to have a male U2 and I only pet him on his head I thank Nikki would eat me alive if I did not touch him at all. I hope all goes well

#19727 - 08/23/06 01:52 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
Callie and Michelle Offline
Callie and Michelle  Offline

British Columbia, Canada
I think you should definitly listen to your vet, some people are reading it as no contact, but I know that you meant limited. I have to do the same thing with my male G2, the only place he does not like to be touched is his head, which happens to be one of the only non-arousal spots. So I limit his cuddle time, if I don't he'll try to "mount" me constantly. Try games with him on his tree, like fetch, he throws it you fetch it lol. My guy loves tug-o-war too, use something long, if he gets too excited you might get a nip. Fetch is Callie's fav game by far and will play it all day if I let him. Good luck, I'm sure you guys will find a way to interact the same amount of time you did before but without the petting. You could also tucker him out with a good ole screaming dance fest. Keep us posted, Michelle

#19728 - 08/23/06 02:12 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I have to point out that cloacal prolapse is a problem in pet birds but honestly not a problem that pops up every day here. That may be part of the reason you feel that you are not having your problem addressed. It is also the type of problem that causes people to "panic" somewhat and they show up for a discussion of alternatives and then disappear. I did a search in "All Open Forums" for "prolapse" and got 31 hits (apart from
yours). I would suggest this as there are some good conversations and experiences. We did discuss Harley's problems right after he came to you in this thread:

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001155

Something else you may be interested in reading is Dr. Mike's discussion of the uses of various hormonal treatments in avian patients.

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000071#000000

It has been awhile since you have talked of this problem. Did it get better for a period of time or has it been the same since the last discussion? I hope we do get some fresh discussions and things get better. smile

#19729 - 08/23/06 02:56 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
Thanks to all for the vote of support and Thanks Charlie for the Link from Dr Mike. Harley's problem has been constant since the day I brought him home. That's why I hoping that this hormone treatment might work. Harley is not a typical Too. He doesn't bite, Screams only a little in the evening. Goes to anyone. Doesn't eat anything but seed. Which I continue to work on. He just recently started holding food, other then peanuts in his claws and actually eating. So in the past 6 weeks, I have cut back on his seed and offering him banana, cantalope, corn on the cob, multi-grain bread, and poultry and he is starting to eat. For months I have thrown out enough uneatened food to wipe out world hunger, LOL, but I have some hope for a changed diet. He's really a sweet bird. I just hope that this hormone will take his mind off of sex and give his body a chance to mend.

#19730 - 08/23/06 03:44 PM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
Relle Offline
Lives Here
Relle  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Hey there...I have zero knowledge to help with the prolapse frown but I will say a prayer for you and your birdie...have you tried pellets? My Bud-Bud (G2) had a horrendous diet when I got him (mainly seeds) but I gave him Harrison's and he dove right in! smile

Edit: I use the coarse blend Lifetime Maintenance...he is very leery of any new things - food in particular but he didn't hesitate with the Harrison's.

#19731 - 08/24/06 03:06 AM Re: Over Sexed 21 year old Male U2  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
Thanks for the prayers Relle, I will try the Harrison's Pellet. So far he hasn't liked any other pellets.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny